I have a 2005 Jackson RR3, Marshall MG100HDFX & cab, and a BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone distortion pedal. I have been fiddling with this stuff for quite some time, and I cannot seem to find a tone I'm happy with. Sometimes I'll find an awesome sound for rhythm that will make my lead sound thin, or find a lead sound that makes my rhythm tone muddy and not and heavy as I'd like it to be.

I'd like to get a Mesa/Boogie Road King (or other Mesa amp) and some DiMarzio pickups, but I don't have the time (or money) to go look around right now. Any ideas on settings and/or things I can do/use to get a good solid sound for now would be appreciated greatly!

To help you understand what I'm looking for, I'm a big fan of the tones of John Petrucci (Dream Theater), Jeff Loomis (Nevermore), Michael Romeo (Symphony X), Guthrie Govan, Dimebag Darrell Abbott (Pantera), and Joe Satriani.

Thanks to all who help,

Ray
Cheers to the guthrie govan fan.

You can achieve those tones on an MG...well, not really, but you can try. You may want to sell your amp and pedals and getting something else.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
btw, what are you settings on the amp?

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Unfortunately crap amp + crap pedal = crap tone.

In the short term get yourself an EQ pedal and a decent distortion pedal, the Metal Zone is appalling.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
The only way to make an MG sound half decent is to plug a good mfx unit into the fx loop, that way you are only using the speaker on the amp.

Sell it and buy a Valve Junior
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
LEAVE THE MG ALONE!

You can get a good sound out of it - you just need to tweak it more.

The MT-2 is the most tinniest pedal ever. You need to upgrade that or get a new amp if you like. Try the Metal Muff (EHX). You can get a nice Symphony X Rhythm out of that and also other metal tones.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Quote by KnifelineAttack
I have a 2005 Jackson RR3, Marshall MG100HDFX & cab, and a BOSS MT-2 Metal Zone distortion pedal. I have been fiddling with this stuff for quite some time, and I cannot seem to find a tone I'm happy with. Sometimes I'll find an awesome sound for rhythm that will make my lead sound thin, or find a lead sound that makes my rhythm tone muddy and not and heavy as I'd like it to be.

I'd like to get a Mesa/Boogie Road King (or other Mesa amp) and some DiMarzio pickups, but I don't have the time (or money) to go look around right now. Any ideas on settings and/or things I can do/use to get a good solid sound for now would be appreciated greatly!

To help you understand what I'm looking for, I'm a big fan of the tones of John Petrucci (Dream Theater), Jeff Loomis (Nevermore), Michael Romeo (Symphony X), Guthrie Govan, Dimebag Darrell Abbott (Pantera), and Joe Satriani.

Thanks to all who help,

Ray

You can probably get those tones by scooping the mids on the amplifier. Some people like doing that but I'd recommend against it. Try turning the contour up, keep the bass up and the treble flat and add gain as necessary. Don't use the MT-2.

Of course, you could just sell your amp and pedals and get something like a B-52 AT series or a Carvin V3. Both are affordable and can dish out teh br00talz.
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Quote by Donkey Fly
LEAVE THE MG ALONE!

You can get a good sound out of it - you just need to tweak it more.

The MT-2 is the most tinniest pedal ever. You need to upgrade that or get a new amp if you like. Try the Metal Muff (EHX). You can get a nice Symphony X Rhythm out of that and also other metal tones.
If by tweak you mean take it into a pro recording studio, then yes it'd work.

But if a studio can do that to an MG, what could it do to a brilliant amp?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
If by tweak you mean take it into a pro recording studio, then yes it'd work.

But if a studio can do that to an MG, what could it do to a brilliant amp?

To be honest most the people who slate the MG haven't had it long enough or at all to pass judgement on it.
Flap it and enjoy yourself...

Xbox Live GT = The Donkey Fly
'...and those who fought on that day of honor, the day of victory shall be forever remembered as Lime Green' - Oct 31st 08
Quote by Donkey Fly
To be honest most the people who slate the MG haven't had it long enough or at all to pass judgement on it.
To be honest, I've played lots of different MGs, I've spent ages accumulated with them. And they are BAD. Muddy mids, grating highs, muddy bass, Fizzy drive, muddy cleans. Imagine all the worst characteristics of a really bad fuzz pedal, and that's what the MG sounds like.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by MrCarrot
To be honest, I've played lots of different MGs, I've spent ages accumulated with them. And they are BAD. Muddy mids, grating highs, muddy bass, Fizzy drive, muddy cleans. Imagine all the worst characteristics of a really bad fuzz pedal, and that's what the MG sounds like.

I had a mMG (without the effects) about 8 or 9 years ago and I thought it was really good tone wise, I just gave it to a buddy about a year ago. With that being said, the new MGs are really not anywhere near as good as the old models. Something is just missing completely.
My Gear
Guitars:
-Gibson Les Paul Tribute (Bare Knuckle Nailbombs)
-Ibanez "lawsuit" Les Paul (Seymour Duncan Pegasus and Sentinent)
-Ibanez S470 (Dimarzio D-sonic and Humbucker from Hell)
-PRS SE Custom (Guitarforce Black Diamond and Lord of the Blues)

Amp:
Marshall TSL100
EVH 5150III EL-34 50w
Marshall 1960a cab

Effects:
Dunlop 535q wah
Boss Super Chorus
Bogner Uberschall
Ibanez DE7 Delay
Electro-Harmonix Power Booster
Fender PT100 Pedal Tuner

Strings:
Ernie Ball Skinny Top/Heavy Bottom 10-52
Quote by Donkey Fly

I've had my mg for 5 years, I dusted it of a couple of months ago and played on it for a bit. I cant believe I wasted £200 on it. It makes an ok cab for my VJ though
Ibanez RG570
USA Strat
Epi Les Paul

Peavey Classic 30
Epi Valve Jnr
Laney LV200
Boss ME50
Daddy O
DC Solid Metal
GNX 3000
Quote by Donkey Fly

I have owned the MG50DFX as well as the MG15MSII. I'm allowed to say that the Marshall MG series amplifiers are turd.

What's your budget TS?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Well, to be honest, the more I played MG's, the dizzier my head got. =/

-2-channel Titan
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-Larrivee D-03R
Wow! I apparently need to check my account more. All these replies...heehee

Yeah I was pretty naive in the way I came about getting it. I'm 15 now, and the amp I had prior was a Fender 25R. Plugging into an MG after the 25R's muddy overdrive makes the MG seem like God's personal amp. Then after about a month of fiddling with the MG I got kind of bored with it's lack of versatility. So I went out and got a Metal Zone for some reason. However I'm starting to get some satisfying sounds out of it. I have yet to get it to make a good rhythm sound, but as far as a lead sound, here's what I've been recently setting it to (using the Overdrive 2 channel on the amp itself):
(These are approximate #'s)

Gain: 6
Bass: 6
Mid: 7
Treble: 4.9
Contour: 4.5
Volume: 6
I also have the delay on, and I really don't know how to describe the setting for that.
FX Level: 3
Reverb: 2

And that's my lead settings.

Clean sound (Clean channel. Duh.):

Gain: 8
Bass: 6
Mid: 6
Treble: 6
Effects Loop Mix: 6

I use the MT-2 for the rhythm sounds, and my clean sound affects it greatly, but my settings on that (approximately in relatively to where they'd be on a clock) are:

Level: 12 o'clock
Low: 1:30
High: 12:15
Mid Frequency: 1:30
Middle: 11 o'clock
Distortion: 1:20

I am aware that this may not be the greatest equipment, but I have to work with it for now. I'm saving up for a new amp. Most likely a Mesa/Boogie. I was thinking Road King, Lonestar or MKIV. If not a Boogie then I've also been thinking about Hughes & Kettner and maybe a Carvin.

Also I've been looking into some DiMarzio pickups. ToneZone, FRED, Evolution neck, etc.
Haven't decided on which ones yet.

Thanks for all the help and anymore input is wanted and appreciated!

In the mean time, to hear me play, you can check out the following locations:

www.myspace.com/cheynestokes1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1x7n1XolRA

Thanks,

Ray
Quote by Jinskee
Cheers to the guthrie govan fan.

Guthrie is a beast! IMO he's the best guitar player out there as far as technique and technical ability go. I really don't know that I've ever seen him make a mistake, other than a few very, VERY miniscule little things once in a blue moon. Petrucci is still my favorite though!