Ok, i've been playing for about 5 years, and have devided that im either going to get one of these 2. I love both of their looks and stuff, but what are some of the good and bad things about each? Also, i love all the different people that play both of them(LPs-Slash, Jimmy Page,etc..SGs- Tony Iommi, Angus Young,etc.) so that isn't really helping me decide.and lastly, what are some of the main differences between the different kinds of LPs and SGs? So any thoughts, personal experiances, etc would be great.
ALL HAIL DETHKLOK UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!!!
Quote by TooFast
I'd drag my dick through a mile of glass just to hear her fart through a walkie-talkie.

Add Me on myspace
http://www.myspace.com/allannoe
Last edited by MiniMoose22031 at Feb 15, 2008,
LP for thicker, fatter, heavier sounds. Tends to excel at bluesy stuff, rock, and metal.

SG for brighter, thinner, tinnier sounds. Tends to really nail a rock/metal sound, has a bit more attitude or something.

LP weighs a ton and upper fret access is so-so.

SG is light but neck-heavy, has awesome upper fret access.

I think the LP is more versatile. It's probably easier to get most of what an SG can do with an LP but I wouldn't say the opposite is true.
The neck pickup with low tone on an SG has a real good blues tone.

The only downside of an Sg I can think of is some are neck-heavy. LPs are just heavy, and have poor fret access.
The neck pickup with low tone on an SG has a real good blues tone.

The only downside of an Sg I can think of is some are neck-heavy. LPs are just heavy, and have poor fret access.

VERY vERY True
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
Quote by AngelOfHatred

Yeah, i've played them both before, and i really like the sounds of both, but im not the strongest person on earth, so the LP was pretty heavy for me, but on the other hand, im really tall, and the SG looks really small compared to me. So i guess i'll just have to deal with that, i guess. So what are the differences between the different SGs?
ALL HAIL DETHKLOK UP THE IRONS!!!!!!!!!
Quote by TooFast
I'd drag my dick through a mile of glass just to hear her fart through a walkie-talkie.

Add Me on myspace
http://www.myspace.com/allannoe
Quote by MiniMoose22031
Yeah, i've played them both before, and i really like the sounds of both, but im not the strongest person on earth, so the LP was pretty heavy for me, but on the other hand, im really tall, and the SG looks really small compared to me. So i guess i'll just have to deal with that, i guess. So what are the differences between the different SGs?

Mainly pickups, neck profiles, and pick guards I suppose. Some have vibratos, some don't. I don't think any Gibson SGs have the neck-heavy problem, but I know the Epiphone ones do.
As I have said many times in threads - if you don't learn on an LP (or clone) you will probably never like one. The weight alone will be giving you bad vibes before you even flick the on switch...

The reason that the LP is a legend is because it had the tone when there was no way of getting close to it otherwise. Now we live in a world where you are probably not going to be hurt (musically) by never touching one. Yes, they still have the full clear tone, but you have heard it so often that it is almost a cliché in rock. With blues it never seems dated.

So before you know it you are messing around with the classic sound so that you might as well be playing an alternative that doesn't kill your back after two hours. The SG I admire, but don't like. Very functional and everything works, but I can't find any love for it. Tried, tested and a billion sold, like a Volvo or a MacDonalds. Hamburger.
Stop showing off and play the music!
As others have said there is quite a difference in weight between the two. Also in terms of thickness, the SG is about half the thickness of the LP.

The SG has much better and easier upper fret access due to the "horns" shaped double cutaway whereas the LP has the single cutaway so some with smaller fingers will have some trouble when playing in the upper register.
I find that the SG sounds thinner and less full than a LP. If I was just going for the sound I would go with the LP but the SG is a lot lighter (in the range of 7 pounds where the average Gibson LP is over 10).
I love the sound of SG's, but for some reason I can't stand playing them. LP's on the other hand, I absolutely love.

... I needa play more SG's. Make myself like em or something.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
In future all guitars will be digital synth jobs and every sound and tone will be available to all. Already started in stage performance -- unless feedback has suddenly dropped dead!
Stop showing off and play the music!
Tbh, as far as comparisons between the two go, once you adjust to the LPs upper fret issues you can do everything you can on an SG (tonewise) and much much more. But, some people are not blessed with dinner plate hands like myself, so its really down to the individual.

Quote by Sendrith
I love the sound of SG's, but for some reason I can't stand playing them. LP's on the other hand, I absolutely love.

... I needa play more SG's. Make myself like em or something.

Yeah, I must admit its the same with me too - a couple of months ago I was pretty sure I'd get a SG, but when in the guitar shop the LP just seemed to sit so naturally with me, like I had played nothing but LPs. Its the same with me and Strats, too; I really want to like them, but despite playing them several times I still way prefer the feel of the LP to anything else for some reason...maybe that's just "my" guitar, the one I was predestined for or something...getting a guitar is a lot like marriage, you gotta try out a lot of options first before you settle on one, otherwise you might regret that choice for a long time, but on the odd occasion you strike it lucky and find the one you were looking for
Well, I've played both and previously owned an Epiphone Les Paul Custom GX Dirty Fingers. The Les Paul could nail the whole pinch harmonic Southern Metaller/Rocker sound and look, but it lacked thesound I was looking for. I bought an SG and I'll be getting Another. I love the SG for it's nice thin body, crisp sound, and look. Recently I've been getting into a lot of Wolfmother and Black Sabbath (Ozzy) and the Sg nails it waaay better than any Les Paul I've tried. The SG also, seems to create a much better fuzz sound, and is far better with Muffs. Obviously, me being the crazy "I own rediculous amounts of Muff pedals" asshole, means I know what sounds best with them. Hands down, I would say the SG is winning.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Obviously we should play the UG theme.

ULTIMATE GUITAR! YOO GEE!?