Assuming the power section is equa (tube, of course)l, what sound difference does it make between a tube preamp (aka full tube) and SS preamp (ala XD series)? And I am asking for low volume, mid position, and cranked.
volume doesn't really matter in this case, since the power section is the same. so lets just say the power section is dimed.

when the preamp is low volume, it would be... clean... tubes would probably be a bit musical, but i don't bash SS cleans.

when the preamp is medium volume (rehearsal volume) the tubes would work a bit more, and it'd get nice overdrive. SS preamp would stay the same cleanness, but louder. tubes would probably respond to pick attacks nicely, but i wouldn't expect that from the ss preamp.

when the preamp is cranked, tubes will be so musical with creamy overdrive, i love to hear it everyday. the ss however, would start crackling, transistors overloading and i wouldn't want to hear it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
that depends on your situation. if you want any overdrive at bedroom volume, pro jr won't deliver.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
that depends on your situation. if you want any overdrive at bedroom volume, pro jr won't deliver.

I have two plans:
a) Get ProJunior + overdrive pedal/modding. Gonna drive it up to 450 CDN, assuming I do not replace the speakers which i heard is poor.
b) Get SuperChamp XD + speaker replacement, and still cost less than ProJunior

On one hand, ProJunior is an all tube. However, I heard the sound samples on youtube and it seems acceptable, especially at bedroom volume. What I want to know is how would they sound in terms of a band practice situation, where I will probably max out everything, maybe even the EQ. Problem is that none of the store in the entire city have SuperChamp XD on location to test out the actual feel, though I can order one.

Another plus point is that SuperChamp XD seems to be very versatile, able to cover a wide range of tone. However, being modeller, I am wondering if it will suffer the same problem as Line6.