So I got a Martin D-15 with an LR Baggs Element active pickup, and a Squier **** Strap with stock pickups, and I'm thinking about getting a new amp. Right now I have a GFX-120T 120 Watt Crate amp. I mean it's good and stuff, but god damn this tube Crate amp at my church sounds so much better, at least on an electric. I had my Martin hooked up to their PA. So I was reading that one stickied topic and saw this

There are two main ways of amplifying an electrical signal: valves and transistors. Transistors are far better at pretty much any kind of electrical amplification than valves. Valves are a much older technology and have been superseded by transistors almost everywhere. The only places you still get them is where you can hear them. Guitar amps, and some very expensive hi-fis. This is mainly because of how they respond to being overloaded. Overloading an amp is a very important part of an overdriven (hence the name) or distorted sound, and transistors and valves are quite different in this respect.

When you hit the maximum voltage of a transistor it switches off, and the top of your signal, which should be a nice curve, becomes a flat line. When you hit a valves max voltage the signal keeps rising, but it rounds off more and skews slightly. This switching off is called clipping.

In addition valves distort linearly. What the hell does that mean? It means that as you put more power in the valve distorts in proportion to it until it starts to clip. Transistors show almost no distortion as you increase power until you start to overload them, and they distort exponentially and clip sharply.

Transistor clipping sounds harsh, valve based overdrive sounds warmer and smoother. It?s sometimes referred to as more ?musical?.

So what I got out of that was: If I'm playing electric guitar, then for Tube amps I can smoothly transition from clean to distortion and it gets even more distorted as the volume gets louder. For Solid State the distortion level remains constant (which could be a good thing if I want the distortion to stay the same) but then increases expontentially if I really crank it. BUT, in the beginning of the quote, the guy states that transistors are better than tubes in basically every other way, although tubes seem to sound warmer and louder to the ear.

What I want to know is: If I'm just using clean on my acoustic or electric, what would generally sound clearer and nicer, or would it be the same? What if I don't care about how smoothly my sound transitions from clean to distortion while playing? In SOAD and Killswitch they seem to jump straight from clean to distortion in a split second to give that sudden heavy sound, but with tube amps that sudden quickness would disappear cuz it would take a while for it to go distorted? Or maybe I read it wrong and they both transition in and out of clean at the same speed.

Not comparing how fast or smoothly it changes to distortion, how do each actually compare when it comes to how the distortion sounds itself on the super high end amps of both types? Like I had 5000 bucks to blow, would a Solid State and/or modeling amp totally blow it out of the water? Do hybrids kick ass yet or does the one tube still not do ****?
I run my acoustic through my Palomino, and it sounds amazing.

Same with my Strat. The only problem is you can't use the gain with the acoustic (I tried for kicks and giggles, and recieved some massive feedback). Most people don't use distortion on an acoustic anyways lol.

Go for tubes. They'll make your guitar sounds better, and your acoustic (at least on mine) will sound fuller.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
Tubes definately. The average SS amp is cold and brittle compared to a tube amp most of the time. I can't stand amplified acoustic tone most of the time, but im sure tubes would clear that up.
Actually my Martin handles distortion well, :P. Not as good as an electric guitar can, but well enough to sound awesome.