question for you ugers!

is the digitech bad monkey tube overdrive very good and will it do much to my sound??
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
i don't know it depends. we don't know what you're using the bad monkey for, so how would we know?
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Are you using a tube or SS amp?

It won't do much on an SS. OD pedals are generally used on tube amps, to drive the tubes harder, thus "overdriving" them, making them break up sooner. I may be completely wrong, but that's what I've been told.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
i do use a ss amp and it ecisthebest, it would be used for a classic rock tone
led zeppelin, ac/dc, a little bit of sabbath
Guitars:
'13 MIM Fender Strat - '05 Epi G-400
Amps:
Fender HRD - VHT Special 6 Ultra -
Jet City JCA20H - Mesa Rectifier 2x12
Pedulz:
Slash Wah - OCD v1.7 - Red Llama MKII -
Big Muff Pi - Carbon Copy - Phase 90 - Ditto Looper
It won't do much, if any, good on an SS amp. Sorry man....

If you really want to get a pedal, I'd reccomend a distrotion more than an OD (since from what I've been told, they don't do much on SS amps).

But that's just me.
--

How do you say "I'm okay" to an answering machine?

--
I have it, im not a big fan, i feel it is a very inflexible peddle, and can't get much sound variety at all.
Quote by B. Heath
question for you ugers!

is the digitech bad monkey tube overdrive very good and will it do much to my sound??
It's a decent pedal and it will give you a mild bluesy distortion.
Don't buy an OD for an SS amp. Go distortion if anything.
Or, just new amp.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
*Hijacks Thread* Does anyone know how the BM is on the Fender Bluer Junior? (The tweed one, not the regular black one)
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by stratman_13
Are you using a tube or SS amp?

It won't do much on an SS. OD pedals are generally used on tube amps, to drive the tubes harder, thus "overdriving" them, making them break up sooner. I may be completely wrong, but that's what I've been told.

Some people like using overdrive with SS amps (or even distortion pedals!) to thicken up the tone. OD + DS-1 = beefy distortion. Overdrive pedals are a mild distortion circuit used to emulate the sound of overdriven tubes. Tube amp guys just like using them as a front-end boost.

It might be worth trying with the SS, especially for dirty blues/classic rock distortion levels. And, if he gets a tube amp it'll still be useful.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
If your amp doesn't sound good with a BM, then it'll sound bad with any distortion pedal.
I really think that it is an awesome pedal, on a tube amp. On an SS amp, I wouldn't pay for it.

But with the tube, it gives you great drive, and it has a lot of versatility with the added Bass knob. I used it on my Blues Junior until I got an OCD and I loved it.
Guitar:
Epiphone Les Paul Standard
Amplifier:
Fender Blues Junior - Eminence Red, White and Blues
Effects:
Fulltone OCD
Electro-Harmonix Nano Small Stone
Ibanez DE-7 Delay/Echo
Dunlop Crybaby
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi
Quote by Lightitup
I really think that it is an awesome pedal, on a tube amp. On an SS amp, I wouldn't pay for it.

But with the tube, it gives you great drive, and it has a lot of versatility with the added Bass knob. I used it on my Blues Junior until I got an OCD and I loved it.

So it does go good with the Blues Jr?
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by mellowyellow729
I have it, im not a big fan, i feel it is a very inflexible peddle, and can't get much sound variety at all.

It's an overdrive, it's not supposed to to do every genre under the sun. It's not really supposed to color your tone at all. The fact that it has two EQ controls already makes it more versatile than about 90% of the overdrive pedals out there.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I've got one and I use it as a boost for my Ashdown (valve), it sounds a bit like a tubescreamer and tightens up the sound a lot.

I also use it for my bass rig sometimes just as a light overdrive.

It sounds great for both applications (better as a boost.)
I use it on my tube amp and SS amp. It gives my solid state amp more gain and tightens it up sounds like crap without it. Does the same thing with my tube amp.
Quote by Archeo Avis
It's an overdrive, it's not supposed to to do every genre under the sun. It's not really supposed to color your tone at all. The fact that it has two EQ controls already makes it more versatile than about 90% of the overdrive pedals out there.
No, it does color your tone. It's adjustable from clean to a moderate crunch. It is a distortion pedal despite the idea that OD is preamp tubes being driven into distortion, that's not it's sole function.
I use it on my microcube on the lead setting (brit-combo - r-fier) as a boost, but doesn't affect the tone at all.
Besides being a guitar player, I'm a big fan of the guitar. I love that damn instrument. Steve Vai

Gear:
Kramer Striker FR422SM
Roland Microcube
Digitech Bad Monkey
Dunlop Tortex 1.14mm picks

MY VIDEOS
Quote by El Cumanés
I use it on my microcube on the lead setting (brit-combo - r-fier) as a boost, but doesn't affect the tone at all.
Then you must be running the gain pretty low where it's pretty clean. If you turn the gain up to max and it doesn't change your tone then something's wrong. It also boosts the mids. I found that you had to set the treble to 3/4 so the highs aren't muted.

edit: After rereading your post, I should add that running a rectifier amp model is going to totally overshadow any crunch you get out of the BM. So I guess it's not surprising that you don't hear much of a tone change.
Last edited by fly135 at Feb 17, 2008,