I've been meaning to get into recording for a little while now, however I have a couple questions, because I don't know any better.

The reason I'm asking now is because a guy on craigslist has some decent mics for less that half price of new... so... yeah.

Now, I've been told that the mic preamps in most low-end mixers are crap, and that I therefore want a mic preamp instead. I believe that I was recommended the ART Tube MP Studio. Would this be a good choice for a mic preamp?

Now, say that I wanted to have 2 mics recording. I would need 2 preamps, right? Or a preamp with 2 inputs, etc.

Now what would be the best way for me to go about doing this so that two mics are recorded to separate tracks? We're talking theoretically, and a somewhat limited budget.

Thanks R&R forum.
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Quote by Sendrith
I've been meaning to get into recording for a little while now, however I have a couple questions, because I don't know any better.

The reason I'm asking now is because a guy on craigslist has some decent mics for less that half price of new... so... yeah.

Now, I've been told that the mic preamps in most low-end mixers are crap, and that I therefore want a mic preamp instead. I believe that I was recommended the ART Tube MP Studio. Would this be a good choice for a mic preamp?

Now, say that I wanted to have 2 mics recording. I would need 2 preamps, right? Or a preamp with 2 inputs, etc.

Now what would be the best way for me to go about doing this so that two mics are recorded to separate tracks? We're talking theoretically, and a somewhat limited budget.

Thanks R&R forum.

I think i can answer those two questions. For the first one, if you want to have to people sing at the same time, then yeah, you would need 2 pre amps.

#2: You can download Reaper, which is free, and you can record vocals to separate tracks.
The preamps in the Yamaha MG series mixers are actually fairly good and the mixers are at a good price. I use the older MG10/2 and like the sound I get with it.

If you want to get the sound into your computer you need more than a preamp, you need an interface to run the mics into.

For recording more than two mono tracks at one time you will need to use a firewire interface or mixer.

BTW, you CAN use two mics on one preamp but you will have no control of the mics separately...so if you have a loud singer and a quiet singer you will have to adjust to the loud singer and boost the volume for the other singer in editing.

If you feel the price is good on CL, buy the mics, they are always nice to have around if they are fair quality.
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 15, 2008,
Ok, so an interface is to get from mic to preamp to PC? Can you get 'em for USB instead of FireWire? What difference will it make, generally?
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
USB can't send the same amount of info that firewire can and so most of the USB mixers will mix all the inputs and send a single stereo track to the computer

firewire will not mix anything but will send it all to the PC.

if I were you, I would go with the firewire type...
if you need a firewire card on your computer search "firewire card" at newegg.com.
Last edited by moody07747 at Feb 16, 2008,
Cool thanks. Any specific one you would recommend?

And could I get one of these at, say, my local music store?
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
Last edited by Sendrith at Feb 15, 2008,
well a set budget would be nice to know but asuming you have a fair amount of cash set aside, the Mackie Onyx Satellite firewire interface is a nice start for any rig. If you have windows Vista, switch to XP...
Quote by Sendrith
Cool thanks. Any specific one you would recommend?

And could I get one of these at, say, my local music store?

Any one works. If you are comfortable installing a PCI card in your computer, it'll be fine. This one has both types of Firewire connections, so you cannot go wrong. You can get the cable at a cheap place like Monoprice.com. Chances are, you'll probably get an overpriced "premium" one at a music store...ordering online's much easier.

The Onyx Satellite mentioned below is useful if you want monitoring capabilities AND you don't plan on buying a sound card (which can actually help you add effects to your computer without audio popping). And if you can run Vista smoothly, don't switch back to XP.