Page 1 of 2
Ok, so the reverb on my Carvin Legacy isn't working, so I replaced the tube. That didn't help. Any way, the manual says it may be the tank. Here's some text from the Legacy manual:

V4 drives the Reverb system.
If the reverb fails, check the cables before you replace V4. Sometimes the small lead
wires inside the tank break.

So, where and what is the tank, how do I get in it, and is this better left to a professional?
'Tis not a spring reverb, it's a tube reverb as stated in post #1. Doesn't matter, but it's a combo, not a head. However, there is a giant metal box. 2, actually. I'll post a pic. But again, the manual text says:

If the reverb fails, check the cables before you replace V4. Sometimes the small lead
wires inside the tank break.

Is the full word a "cable tank" or am I just getting confused?
Last edited by CallmeTravis at Feb 15, 2008,
some dude on carvin website said this:

Welcome Travis.
The tank is mounted under the top of the head.Its the big brass rectangle.Its held in with 4 screws.Its basically a set of springs that vibrate and cause the effect of an echo.The wires/plugs are facing the front of the head.I believe ther is a black and a red.Its possible they came loose from vibration.
If you pull the power tubes you can get at it easily.If that doesnt work you may need a new tank.
It should not be necessary to take it to a tech,although,always allow at least an hour with the amp unplugged just to be on the safe side,before doing anything under the hood.

I'll let you guys know if it works.
tube is the reverb driver. good stuff.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by CallmeTravis
??but there's a tube for it??

Its simply tube driven, rather than solid state driven.
if ur not gonna open up the amp's chassis to the circuit board, there's no voltage on the amp's surface.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
if ur not gonna open up the amp's chassis to the circuit board, there's no voltage on the amp's surface.

Correct. The only thing you need to wait for is for the tubes to cool down if you were just using it.
im guessing the tube is a power tube? idk much on reverb tho. but if there is a tube for it, it would be a power tube i guess. is it a big tube?
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator
im guessing the tube is a power tube? idk much on reverb tho. but if there is a tube for it, it would be a power tube i guess. is it a big tube?

Nope. Reverb drivers are normally 12AX7s.
Ok. I'm going in. Wish me luck.

Actually, I'm not. There's still the issue of there being 2 potential tanks, and I don't know which. I need to post a pic, but how do I if it's not hosted online?
Last edited by CallmeTravis at Feb 15, 2008,
reverb drivers on most modern spring reverb amps are TL072, a dual opamp IC. some high end amps have a vacuum tube driving the reverb, and when the reverb starts to break up, the tubes produce harmonic distortion, rather than harsh clipping form opamps.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
reverb drivers on most modern spring reverb amps are TL072, a dual opamp IC. some high end amps have a vacuum tube driving the reverb, and when the reverb starts to break up, the tubes produce harmonic distortion, rather than harsh clipping form opamps.

Ok. I still need to know how to fix it though lol. Which means I need to know which box it is.
Then why dont you just post a pic. Or better yet, just take it to a tech since you obviously dont know what in the hell you are looking for. If you dont know what a reverb tank is then you're probably not going to be able to fix it.
Quote by LuthierofTexas
Then why dont you just post a pic. Or better yet, just take it to a tech since you obviously dont know what in the hell you are looking for. If you dont know what a reverb tank is then you're probably not going to be able to fix it.

Once I get in, I'll be able to find my way around. I just don't know which one it is.

There's one with cables running into it, and one that doesn't.
Well, I've got a walkthrough, found a schematics on Carvin website, and found the right box. But now, the screwdriver that can get in the cramped space is so small I have no hope of gripping it good enough to open it up. I think I'll just wait untill I can see an amp tech tomorrow, what with all their special tools and whatnot.
Quote by CallmeTravis
Once I get in, I'll be able to find my way around. I just don't know which one it is.

There's one with cables running into it, and one that doesn't.

I'm voting for the one with cables running to it.

Ignore people telling you that you can't do it. With patience and research, you can do almost anything.
its ur call if it's worth it or not to invest in a short screwdriver that fits tight places, or a screw driver with a 90 degree angle for the future. i think its wirth it tho. i'll guarantee u'll find something else that needs it.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by the.spine.surfs
I'm voting for the one with cables running to it.

Ignore people telling you that you can't do it. With patience and research, you can do almost anything.

Why thank you, not to mention everyone at school always tells me I'm a genious and cheat off me. I know it's the one with the cables now, as I said, I found a schematics. I just cant GET IN THE DAMN THING!
Quote by ECistheBest
its ur call if it's worth it or not to invest in a short screwdriver that fits tight places, or a screw driver with a 90 degree angle for the future. i think its wirth it tho. i'll guarantee u'll find something else that needs it.

I have a screw driver that fits, I just can't grip something that small.
lol that sucks -_-. try buying some special screwdrivers? like one that has elbows and ankles that can be added onto it for weird positions.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
get out some vice grips

just clamp the vice grips onto the screwdriver and you got yourself a homemade 90 degree screwdriver...
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Ahh dang. It doesn't work. I cant' really apply much upward force like that, so it just ends up stripping the screw. I'll leave it to the tech tomorrow. It's not like I'm going to be playing much tonight anyway <.< >.> Maybe I'll just say "Hey dude, get your fancy tool and open this for me, will ya? I'll handle the rest" because I've gotten to the point where I just want to do it myself.
Quote by forsaknazrael
It's a combo, right? Have you removed the back wood panel that may be blocking your access to the tank?

lmao, I think he figured out that he needs to take the back off to get too it
05' G&L S-500
95' Godin LGX

96' Yamaha APX 6-A

Peavey Classic 30
Maxon OD808
Quote by CallmeTravis
I just can't grip something that small.

I could be a total son of a b*tch, but I decided against it.
Page 1 of 2