I recently began adding vocals to the music I record, however I cannot seem to make them interesting. I stick within the same 3 notes it seems mainly because I can't think of any way to do anything more with them. Anyone got any advice on how to make vocals more interesting? Thanks.
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
^ sounds like you need a dose of inspiration. honestly i listen to all sorts of stuff to get inspiration and alot of my original stuff (not that you could here it cuz the old stuff doesn't have lyrics on it) has kinda poppy melodys to it.... seriously, i never would have guessed throwing celine dion/madonna type pop over some heavy metal type stuff worked. but it does!
You know, that actually helped. I just went over a few of my songs thinking "What would Brittney Spears do?" instead of "What would Warrel Dane do?" Haha...needless to say, they were definitely more interesting, I've got some rerecording to do. Thanks for your input!
Nicks and dents are battle scars...they give a guitar history.

Quote by Homer Simpson
When you think about it, mud is just wet dirt.
You could think of a riff in your head that would go well over a rhythm, and transpose it into note values. We did something similar in our theory class where we would establish a time signature for nursery rhymes/poiems where inflection and pulses is critical, and then assigning syllables note values.

I'm sure that sounds gay as hell, but it's actually pretty interesting to do.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
^ it sounds interesting but imo possibly alot more work than what should be done when you're trying to just belt out something with feeling thats not monotonous. i will say on an analytical side though im sure it'd be fun to look at and dissect.
You could try and do guitar work. like in your vocal range, and everytime you pick its a syllable. then learn that guitar melody as a vocal melody. I'm not a singer, I do sing, but badly. But it could help discipline yourself. I always do unneeded unannounced pitches haha. so i need this type of discipline.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band