Lets supose you were going to play a simple pull off such as:

---------------
-----8p6-----
---------------
---------------
---------------

Would you fret both 8 AND 6 pick the string, then pull off while holding the 6th fret down the whole time, or would you fret only 8 then do a quick "hammer on" onto 6 but still using the initial attack from the picked string when fingering the 8th fret?

I'm having a difficult time deciding which is correct. I have had people tell me the 1st way is correct while the other isn't and visa versa.
you usually fret both at once, holdin down 6th while you pick 8 and flick your finger off.

Good Luck \peace/

Origionaly Posted by CTFOD
Origionaly Posted by hownowbrowncow:
Get a new bicycle
Then you can ride it with no handlebars.

No handlebars.

No handlebars...
deff first way
DEFFFFFF! haha
Quote by britneyspears69
I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
I do it the first way, but do whatever feels right to you.
Too many people own guitars. Someone had better go play a... clarinet or something.

:stickpoke

That means you.

Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
i once sneezed and a mushed up chip flew out my nose
needless to say i immediatly ate it
Last edited by weirdsprout at Feb 24, 2008,
Yeah- if you only fret the A (8th fret on B string), you run the risk of not pulling off in time and sounding an open B- so instead of your desired A-G, you'd get A-B-G. Go with the first way for sure, it'll be easier to be accurate.
dont make it so complicated just pick the 8th while holding six (same time) then pull of to the 6, hammering back on the the eith would be a trill.
95% of people play the first method. It's easier and sounds like a typical pull-off.

You can use the second method though. Some freakier players like Allan Holdsworth use it. It sounds a bit less legato than normal pull-offs, so if you want to even out your playing, it can be useful. Especially combined with economy picking and mild pick-attack.

I'd recommend playing the 1st way though unless you're really trying change your dynamics. IMO, the difference is nowhere near worth the amount of effort you'll have to put into learning the technique. Although, if that's how you play already, go for it.
Last edited by Glokkin at Feb 16, 2008,
First way - technically the second method isn't a simple pull-off, it'd be a pull off to the open string followed by a hammer on onto the 6th fret, just very fast...sort of like this.

---8p(0)h6---
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
As has been said the said above the first is by far the most common. There are so many X factors that you can change the note or the attack. Some are common to you - such as how strong your hands are or have any finger nails on your fretting hand. The most common kink is the flick-off where the one finger bars and another understrums for a stronger note. Top class guitarists often use mixed techniques, such as doing a quick flick off to power a series of hammer-ons.
Stop showing off and play the music!
Quote by Tenacious D'er
you usually fret both at once, holdin down 6th while you pick 8 and flick your finger off.

Good Luck \peace/

This guy's right

i find this is good pull off as well. Vary simple 2

eI------3p1----

replaces the riff after the main riff of Back in Black vary nicely
This works for almost any situation....

Quote by PaulyVengeance
Punch it. Punch it until it goes away.
Wait maybe I'm not reading right but isn't legato playing notes with with no intervalic silence between them? Let's say you wanted to do something like:

-----8p6------
-----8p6-----
---------------
---------------
---------------

If you do it like the first method there would be silence when going to the second string from the first. However if you do it like the second method, the pull off on 6 will be still ringing and you could move your other finger to 8, hit it, and quickly move your finger to pull off to 6 so there's no silence.

What am I missing here?
^The way you tabbed it, you would fret (and pick of course ) both strings at once on the 8th fret and pull-off with your finger to the 6th fret.
Originally Posted by SkyValley
yeah im a virgin but im also pretty good at things like ping-pong and drawing pictures of people playing water polo so it balances out
Quote by Baasoromyuu
^The way you tabbed it, you would fret (and pick of course ) both strings at once on the 8th fret and pull-off with your finger to the 6th fret.

Yeah yeah you know what I meant.

8p6----------
------8p6----
---------------
---------------
---------------