My friend and I are looking for a piece of music to learn for our Lab Band class. I play bass and he plays the piano. Our last project was learning the Super Mario Theme together. Now we are looking for something new. We need to actually be reading music so I figured a classical piece would be interesting/easy to find sheet music for.

I really don't know a lot of classical music. Any suggestions, classical or not, would be helpful.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
I once heard two bass players do the "Overture to Carmen". I was quite fantastic and would sound equally as good with Piano and Bass. Bach is easy to find music for and is an obvious choice as well.
These are all great suggestions. Thanks.

I'm really liking Canon in D
Quote by PaperStSoapCo
Vagina's tend to be not all that great looking most of the time. It's all... flappy. Looks sloppy.

I'd have to say guy junk wins but not by much. It's like winning a beauty contest against Steve Buscemi.
Last edited by barb3rman at Feb 15, 2008,
Quote by Tenacious D'er
Vivaldi's stuff is good, or bach

I have a collection of Vivaldi's six sonatas for double bass and piano, and a book of JS Bach for electric bass sitting on my music shelf right now!!!

edit* if you do canon in D you better be good at spicing that business up pretty well. Playing a typical bass or cello part to that is the most boring thing ever, especially when you're in the chamber orchestra playing it at some dinner for the 200th time.... heh, I guess I don't miss everything about playing music in highschool.
Last edited by dullsilver_mike at Feb 15, 2008,
Quote by dullsilver_mike
I have a collection of Vivaldi's six sonatas for double bass and piano, and a book of JS Bach for electric bass sitting on my music shelf right now!!!

On the JS Bach, is it the one by Josquin Des Pres? lol, I have that one too along with Classical Masterpieces for Electric Bass, Vol I.
Quote by anarkee
On the JS Bach, is it the one by Josquin Des Pres? lol, I have that one too along with Classical Masterpieces for Electric Bass, Vol I.

Actually it's by Bob Gallway, looks like pretty simple arrangements I just got it this month on an impulse buy when sheetmusicplus had a huge sale. I'm going to have to play through a bunch of it tommorow, now that this thread has reminded me I own it lol. I'll have to look at the classical masterpieces book, get some of my orchestra nostalgia going on without having to get an upright bass
Quote by dullsilver_mike

edit* if you do canon in D you better be good at spicing that business up pretty well. Playing a typical bass or cello part to that is the most boring thing ever, especially when you're in the chamber orchestra playing it at some dinner for the 200th time.... heh, I guess I don't miss everything about playing music in highschool.

I'm not good at improvising at all/adding fills and all that so maybe that one would be a bad idea. I just thought it sounded nice lol

Now that you guys mention it, I might consider a book w/ classical pieces in it.
Quote by PaperStSoapCo

Gymnopedie No. 1 by Erik Satie sounds great with Piano and bass, or even two basses if you want to play it that way.

There are tabs and sheet music in this site.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
try debussy cello sonata

you tube it. seriously do it. I'm learning it on cello now but i also learned the piano part. i think you could pull it off with a bass.

search "cello sonata debussy" in you tube. the actual title however is Debussy's Prologue: Lent
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
5th Caprice by Paganini. Its a good song, but unfortunately I can't find the complete version. Anyone have it/know where to get it?
Freescores.net? .com? .org? .nl? I don't know, but it's called ___freescores.___ It's got a lot of good music on there. I'd suggest searching GreenSleeves. It's a doublebass quartet, but you could play the 1st bass part, and the pianest could play the other three. (They're easy background parts)

Aria - Johan Sebastion Bach it's a solo Bass piece, but if your piano player can play by ear you'd be set. Just click around FreeScores and you'll find some good ones.
You could Turkish march and you could do the left hand part, but it'd be pretty boring / lame sounding as a duet. ame with Eine Kleine nachtmusik.

I'm suprised no one's said it, but look into Beethoven's piano QUARTET pieces where there's a cello playing along, or some of his violin sonatas feature cello and other instruments.
Quote by casualty01
the RIAA can't shut us down, interpol can't shut us down. the U.S. gov't can't shut us down and CERTAINLY not YOU can shut us down.

BA in Music theory
MusicMan Bongo, SUB -> Orange Terror 1000 stack

Quote by waterproofpie
it's a UtBDan sandwich. Awwww yeah!