Alright so i finished the wiring of my guitar today and everything else, so it's pretty much done. The thing is whenever i play on louder levels on the clean channel i get an annoying hum. Now whenever i add distortion it gets MUCH worse. I notice though when ever i touch the cable part attached in the jack, the hum goes away. How can i get rid of the hum without having to do this? Oh yeah the guitar is a Frankenstein replica from the Van Halen 1 days, Pickup is Dimarizio Virtual PAF.
All your guitar grounds working right? Check your trem claw ground, as thats what it sounds like me if it goes away when you touch the cable.
oh yeah hmm i think i realized what i did now, i kinda soldered to wires together to reach the volume pot... is that the reason its making that sound?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
u probably have couple of ground loops.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
u probably have couple of ground loops.

and that means?
Quote by barden1069
A "tubescreamer" is a person paid by a guitarist to stand behind the amp and scream at the tubes. This terrifies the tubes into overdriving and delivers a thick, harmonic-rich tone.
The pots are grounded via a foil covering on the pickguard AND wires connecting the pot casings. You only want one of these or else it'll pick up extra noise. If you have a foil covering on the back of the pg, then remove the wires connecting the backs of the pots.
well i just opened up the back and it looks to me that i just kinda soldered the trem wire to the pot but it didn't really connect the wire to the pot... so from what your saying that is causing the ground loop correct?
Quote by barden1069
groundloop is a loop of ground that carries a current in the wrong direction creating noise in the circuit.

you should look into star grounding. ground all the metal parts through a wire designated for each part, and collect all grounding wire to one star grounding point, and then to the output jack's sleeve.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard