Hey could you guys help me choose between these two guitars.

I want to play classic rock such as the rolling stones, led zeppelin, cream, and red hot chili peppers.

I cant really decide on which one, as i like the look of both. I havent tried them out yet and this will be my first guitar so i dont want to go in and try every guitar i like the look of. I want to narrow it down. Taking these styles of music and the fact that i will be playing mainly for myself and the fact that i have small hands, could you please suggest on or the other.

Links:
Fender HSS Standard Strat:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-103814638-i1148871.gc

EPiphone Les Paul Standard Plain Top:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Fender-Standard-HSS-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar-103814638-i1148871.gc

or

Epiphone Les Paul Classic Quilt Top:
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-Les-Paul-Classic-Quilt-Top-102305042-i1383970.gc

Or The LP - 100
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Epiphone-LP-100-Electric-Guitar-100246478-i1150098.gc

ARe the other LP's that much better than the 100?

Also please dont tell me to get one because its "just better". Please give me a reason.
i like the les paul more.but try the both.

the neck is thicker like acustic and the sound is thicker cuz' of the humbuckners
Don't get the the LP-100, the other LP's like the standards and customs are much better.

Between the Les Pauls, plain top is best IMHO only because of the lower price (it's still pretty much the same as the other standards just without the flashy maple top). However they are all fairly similar so long as you get one like a standard or a custom.
Be careful though the Epiphone Les Pauls have inconsistent quality control so you'll have to try them before buying.

I know being new it's still hard I remember that feeling first buying my Les Paul and still get it now when in a store. However everyone starts somewhere and if a sales guy says something about your playing they don't deserve your service.

Also you can keep the volume low, so long as you can hear the guitar and play it others don't need to. Plus you can play some basic chords or scales and check the action and finish.

As for the strats, they are great guitars as well. Both HSS and SSS are great and should cover the types of genres you want. Though the HSS may be slightly more versatile cause of the humbucker they're both very usable.

Between the strat and LP, both should work very well for what you want to play. It's just a matter of personal preference I went with the Epi. Les Paul. However I like strats as well. You just need to try them out and pick the one you like. Both should be fine for your needs .

Edit: BTW Les Pauls are known to have somewhat chunkier necks so check and see if you comfortable with those at all. Strats might be more suitable for smaller hands, of course you won't know without trying.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Feb 16, 2008,
Well, bolth are good guitars but i'd go with the Fender HSS Standard Strat. my brother has a gibson LP and it doesnt sound as good . fender has that classic tone.the original Stairway to heaven was played with a fender.
Gear:

Fender Standard HSS Stratocaster
Line 6 Spider III
Quote by IRV
Well, bolth are good guitars but i'd go with the Fender HSS Standard Strat. my brother has a gibson LP and it doesnt sound as good . fender has that classic tone.the original Stairway to heaven was played with a fender.

The first album was played with a Fender Telecaster.
Quote by Ippon
The first album was played with a Fender Telecaster.

Yup and I believe Jimmy intended it to sound like a Les Paul.
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

i have an epi LP standard. its a great guitar but i think a strat would be much better for classic rock, i mostly use my epi for metal (i got a JB in it). If you play blues rock the best way to go is either Fender or save up a lot of money and get a really good gibson. Fenders actually get a great Zeppelin tone, idk why they just do with my experience with it.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
2)make obvious punk puns, possibly related to food
3)make fun of Rancid and NOFX again
4)??????
5)PROFIT (and an army of internet fanboys)
^ I get blues just fine on the Epi. However yes strats and single coils are generally cleaner and sparklier. While the humbuckers will give you a bit of grit and handle gain very well.

Both of the guitars do cleans and overdrive well for classic rock though.

I would go strat, because i can rest my hand on the bridge, and i find it very uncomtorable on the LP, beause of the tune-o-matic brige.

but thats just my preference,
Gear:
MIM Strat
Ovation Applause Shallow-Body Acoustic

-----> PAGE
-----> CLAPTON
Cream - Clapton - Les Paul
Led Zeppelin - Page - Les Paul
Rolling Stones - Richards - Les Paul (and Telecaster)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Frusciante - Stratocaster
Just to make choosing harder keep in mind Page used the Strat on many songs in the latter days of Zeppelin... aside from Tea For One and tracks on Achilles Last Stand the Presence album was all Strat. Can't forget Ten Years Gone and In the Evening either

I'm a sucker for a nice LP though, Page is too
Quote by jsnate
Cream - Clapton - Les Paul
Led Zeppelin - Page - Les Paul
Rolling Stones - Richards - Les Paul (and Telecaster)
Red Hot Chili Peppers - Frusciante - Stratocaster

yea but those are all Gibson les Pauls. they sound much different from Epis. Gibsons are crystal clear whereas epiphones are more dark and thick (which is why i use mine for metal) Also at Keith Richards used a Telecaster almost exclusively, yea he used an LP sometimes but mostly a Tele.
The Mitch Clem formula
1)make jokes about rancid and NOFX (as if they dont already make fun of themselves)
4)??????
Try both. See what feels best and sounds best to you.
I myself would go with a strat.
But... that's up to you.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
Quote by Whole Lotta Led
Just to make choosing harder keep in mind Page used the Strat on many songs in the latter days of Zeppelin... aside from Tea For One and tracks on Achilles Last Stand the Presence album was all Strat. Can't forget Ten Years Gone and In the Evening either

I'm a sucker for a nice LP though, Page is too

And the first 4 Led Zeppelin albums were very heavy on the Telecaster side too.
You can't have a single guitar that will sound exactly like the bands you like. Get a guitar and get good and forget about what guitar so and so was using. There has never been an artist that only used one style of guitar in every song.
Strats are great.
Teles are great.
Les Pauls are great.
you guys know that you can play all of the above listed song on an Ibanez?

most of us cannot distinugush guitar brand tones simply by listening to them, some can...and they are nerds.
Quote by danohat
You can't have a single guitar that will sound exactly like the bands you like. Get a guitar and get good and forget about what guitar so and so was using. There has never been an artist that only used one style of guitar in every song.
Strats are great.
Teles are great.
Les Pauls are great.

Yup.

But to the OP, I just went thru the same decision process between the Epi-LP and a MIM Strat HSS. I went with the Strat and love it! Try them both out and good luck.
2007 Fender Mexi-Strat HSS, 1977 Les Paul Custom (under construction), Fender Sonoran AE, 19?? Fender Pro Reverb, Peavey Vypyr 75
Quote by darkarbiter7
Try both. See what feels best and sounds best to you.
I myself would go with a strat.
But... that's up to you.

yea im eith you on this one its all about what you like i'd rather have the strrat for verstaility a strat can sound like whaatever you want just watever YOU like
congrats on gettin a new guitar its a big day
RIG:
57' re-issue strat
fender princeton chorus
korg rack turner
peavey profex
I wouldn't get the lp-100, the standards are much better, the strat would do you fine, but myself I'd say get a tele but thats just me
HI
Dude really simple...if your going to get a LP then get a Gibson...but get the Fender over Epiphone because it;s a better build and tone.
^ I don't think so, played some great MIM strats and some great Epiphones. I've also played some bad strats and bad Epiphones.

The Epiphone I have i'd take over most Mexican model Fenders. You just have to find a good one. As I mentioned quality control on Epiphone isn't the most consistent. However that doesn't make them worse than Fender so long as you find a good one.

Last edited by zeppelinpage4 at Feb 16, 2008,
Epiphone Classic Quilt Top is by far the best epiphone i've played. best sounding, and best playing. beats the customs imo. the pickups are hot and bright. its awesome.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i think epiphones and gibsons have a different sound. Gibsons are a lot brighter and clearer yet they still have the chunkyness to them which makes them good for......anything really. Epiphones in my mind are better for the Classic Rock/hard rock/metal side because of how thick the tone is. Im not saying they are not good for blues ive seen people play blues beutifully. I just think a fender would better suit your needs in this case. id try them out first tho.
The Mitch Clem formula
4)??????
WEll the HSS is more flexible tonewise (two single-coils + one bridge humbucker) so i would definetely go for the Strat
Gear List:
'97 Gibson Explorer w/ Duncan SH-4 and SH-2
Fender Jazz Bass 'Crafted in Japan'
Yamaha Acoustic Guitar
Vox AD30VT w/ VFS2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Modded "St. Louis" Wah
Dunlop .88 Tortex picks
I own a Les Paul Studio and it's a really gooood guitar... but it's not for my style a bit... for Your's more but if You like playing Chilis then go with Strat HSS - You'll get Chili with those two Singles and with Humbucker You'll get some sort of heavier stuff like Rolling Stones itc...
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.
Choose deciding on what fits you best. Don't limit yourself to these two types try out all the guitars you can get your hands on and then decide by the one that felt most natural in sitting and standing position. You can always make it sound better, can't do much if it feels unnatural in your hands.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah