Page 1 of 2
ive asked this before but now im having doubts about if a half stack is actually what im looking for.

im not even in a band yet but i plan to be and im trying to make a living as a musician as most of us are but havent gotten started yet. so this is going to be my first purchase in terms of professional equipment.

as some of you may know, i had decided on getting a Peavey 5150 off of ebay paired with a vader 4x12 which is extremely brutal. but is it necessary yet? should i save my money and get a combo that pulls off some mean tones and get a half stack (if its even necessary) later with money that i will hopefully be making?

so considering that what do you guys say, can a combo be good for teh br00talz, and if so which (experience behind your words of course)?

i will have about $1200 (US) to spend (i can do more if necessary)
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Seeing as a 5150 using mostly preamp distortion it will sound decent at low volumes negating the need for an attenuator or practice amp. I'd say get it if you have the money and plan on using it. I'd also attempt to try some combos and see if you can't get something that's maybe better, more portable, and cheaper.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
thats what i was thinking, i do have the money to get the half stack but i have no where to try a "br00tal" combo so i was wondering what the UGers experience says for a "metal" combo which is already blasphemous enough as it is lol.

i wish i knew where to try a good metal combo tho, any ideas for good metal combos anyways? i can see if i can find one near me if you recommend one or two.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
You should probably try some mesa combos, pretty sure that's in your price range. Other than that I can't really think of anything.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
if you cant get the mesa, try B-52 AT or ST series, the ATs have great cleans on the level of fender and dist with some peavey, but the STs have good cleans, not as good as the ATs but with t3h br00t4lz like the mesa triple rectifier
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
Get a 5150 combo if you like that amp, you probably wont ever need a half stack. It'll be cheaper than the stack anyway.
Quote by giternator
thats what i was thinking, i do have the money to get the half stack but i have no where to try a "br00tal" combo so i was wondering what the UGers experience says for a "metal" combo which is already blasphemous enough as it is lol.

i wish i knew where to try a good metal combo tho, any ideas for good metal combos anyways? i can see if i can find one near me if you recommend one or two.

Try looking at ENGL amps, the '-ball' range of them (there's a few different ones; powerball, fireball etc.)
lol IbanezPsycho, i dont think i would get a 2nd 2x12. maybe get a 2x12 and a 4x12 later for different gig sizes but i doubt that.

what i need to do is try a 2x12 cab or combo, but i hardly see any that dont completely suck balls. i suppose i need to make a mission to go to Hollywood's mesa store and try some of their combos, but i dont really like mesa. ive tried the dual recto and stiletto and wasnt satisfied.

so i just need ideas for a combo and i will set out to look for it and try it and if im not satisfied, that will seal the deal for sure for me.

i have tried the powerball from engl and its kickass, i just cant afford it. i would love to try a 5150 combo tho, dont know where is the problem.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
You could always buy a decent head now and save up for a good cab when u get in a band?
Quote by s-g man
You could always buy a decent head now and save up for a good cab when u get in a band?

And just not play through it in the meantime? What's the point in that?!

Threadstarter: I've just had a thought, not sure what the retail is in the US, but if you like the Powerball, and maybe want a bit more versatility, you could try the Hughes & Kettner Switchblade 50 (I think that's the name of the 50-watt combo anyway).

You appear to like similar amps to me, and I use the Switchblade 100 head and the VC412 H&K cab. I just can't see you being able to afford the head and a cab on your budget, so suggested the smallest of the two combos instead

I absolutely love my amp, and wouldn't want any other amp in the world!

This is a start at least
Last edited by last_biscuit at Feb 16, 2008,
yeah for real man why would i buy the head and not use it. thats blasphemous, exile yourself now. lol j/k

im just deciding on the cab choice, not so much head but if a combo will do the job for me (i doubt it but i want some combo ideas!!) i will get a combo. IbanezPsycho made a point to me that since a combo is so heavy to carry, if i drop it due to weight the amp is all ****ed but dropping a 4x12 is not so bad. at the worst a wire will come loose and youll have some scratches. an amp head is not heavy enough to be dropped and easily light enough to be careful where you step....................lol i think i just proved to myself that a combo isnt for me -____-.

so 2x12 or 4x12 XD!! lol im silly......
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
isnt the switchblade a hybrid amp? and no i dont really need the versatility but usable cleans are welcome lol. but thats what the C-1 Classic is for, ive tried it with the 5150 on a marshall cab w/ v30's and it owned any other guitar i tried for metal, shred and even cleans (single coil mode) so thats why im getting that guitar, not to mention is sexy lol.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator
isnt the switchblade a hybrid amp? and no i dont really need the versatility but usable cleans are welcome lol. but thats what the C-1 Classic is for, ive tried it with the 5150 on a marshall cab w/ v30's and it owned any other guitar i tried for metal, shred and even cleans (single coil mode) so thats why im getting that guitar, not to mention is sexy lol.

Nope, it's all-valve And the cab I use is also Vintage 30 equipped, but as it's a H&K cab rather than a Marshall it's a fair bit bigger too so has a really punchy, heavy sound

Edit: Your future rig does sound cool though, I've not really tried many Schecters (the nearest stockists to me only sell their entry level models) so I don't have much of an opinion on them other than I'd never touch the Avenged Sevenfold signature models (and I even like A7X lol).

I'd post my current live rig, but it won't fit in my sig so it might take up some space
Last edited by last_biscuit at Feb 16, 2008,
trust me schecters are coming up! they are the best guitars to have great stock features at such low prices. they are coming out with even better guitars this year. but for the sig models, my general rule of thumb is dont get anything signature or "limited edition". sigs are for ppl who want to cover bands or be fangirls. limited edition is just a marketing scheme.

and i did not know the switchblade was all tube. regardless, i dont need the onboard effects or the amount of versatility it has. in fact i think i would get annoyed with all the options. i did with my line 6 stuff that im selling for my next rig lol. in fact my microcube does too much for my tastes lol.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
so erm, bump.... yeah im impatient so what lol. nah j/k just a refresher on what im asking at this point. i kinda got off topic and even i got confused in the mix so ill clear things up.

ive pretty much owned on the idea for a combo in my case (to each is own, if you want a combo go for it, just not me).

so im debating if a 2x12 cab is good for teh br00talz, if not i will preach to no end that a 4x12 is the bible for metal.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator
so erm, bump.... yeah im impatient so what lol. nah j/k just a refresher on what im asking at this point. i kinda got off topic and even i got confused in the mix so ill clear things up.

ive pretty much owned on the idea for a combo in my case (to each is own, if you want a combo go for it, just not me).

so im debating if a 2x12 cab is good for teh br00talz, if not i will preach to no end that a 4x12 is the bible for metal.

Ah, didn't realise you were still after stuff lol.

If you're after the real 'teh br00talz' sound, then you need a big 4x12 with plenty of low-end punch and air movement. In a way, the bigger the enclosure the 'bigger' the sound, and you want one heck of a big sound in that respect.

It might look hideous onstage (each to their own ) but Orange make some huge cabinets which are incredible for getting that heavy sound you're after...the only problem then is finding a balance with the weight of it! Oh, and did I mention it's bright, eye-burning orange?!
well good point. i guess i will stick with the 4x12 and stop annoying UG with these guestions lol.

im good on the day glo orange :P
ive heard of orange but im gonna stick with the vader. its oversized too and looks 10x better -_-.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
well, i think theres a 5150 combo, i think?!?!
but your best bet is to get a the head and a 2x12 cabinet. You wont need a 4x12 for awhile.
Quote by chea_man
well, i think theres a 5150 combo, i think?!?!
but your best bet is to get a the head and a 2x12 cabinet. You wont need a 4x12 for awhile.

well, i think your post is a little late
Quote by last_biscuit
well, i think your post is a little late

nah its not too late but i would like to know why he feels a 2x12 is the "best bet". if i want teh br00talz, he suggested a 2x12 so why? id just like to hear his reasoning, im still getting the 4x12.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by IbanezPsycho
Why not get the head and a 2x12 cab now and add on another 2x12 cab later? Its basically a combo with more flexibilty....

Yeah I'm planning on getting a Marshall JCM800 Head with a 1936 (I think is the correct number ) 2x12 Cab. I really don't want too much volume, but I do want a great sound!
well a 4x12 doesnt mean more volume ive heard. it just spreads your sound better and in particular to your ear lol. so it sounds louder but its not significant and it sounds better overall ive heard. i wish i could talk from experience with a 2x12 cab.

the general concensus is that a 4x12 sounds better but 2x12's are recommended b/c sometimes people cant afford the 4x12 and a 2x12 will get the job done, just that a 4x12 is always the want, not need.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
just throwing this out there...

since the 5150 combo sounds a bit different from the head (most agree the head sounds 'better,' i wouldn't know though, sorry) why not just get the head and a 2x12 cab now? still looks badass. and then if you want more spread, get another 2x12 and stack them together.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
thats a valid idea but it requires too much thinking lol. i have heard that the combo does sound different than the head. it has a better clean circuit and less gain but really its still a gain monster.

i see in your sig that you have a 2x12, how well does that thump against your chest? i dont know if you ever play metal but do get some punch with your 2x12?
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
haha, it's not too complicated. head + 2x12... + 2x12 later

and yeah, i found a neat setting where the bass really shines through and kicks you right in the chest. it does help that mine's elevated to about waist level too. but yeah, i'm sure even a 1x12 would do fine.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

meh......2 2x12's isnt very metal lol, its either one 2x12 or full on 4x12. its an idea to think about but i dont think ill do that.

thats what 4x12s are for tho, putting the sound at your chest/face so you can feel it. thanks for the help tho, but im gonna get the 4x12.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by giternator
meh......2 2x12's isnt very metal lol, its either one 2x12 or full on 4x12. its an idea to think about but i dont think ill do that.

thats what 4x12s are for tho, putting the sound at your chest/face so you can feel it. thanks for the help tho, but im gonna get the 4x12.

LOL i can see your very set to the "metal" way of things haha... but personally if i was you id gofor the 4x12, Fck what people say about portability (if you have the space in your car or van) wtf not i say LOL it gives you more motivation to do things when you have good equipiment and when playing shows you will have a great sound.

SO go for it

p.s. i know youve already said you gettin it and now making this post rather pointless... oh well aye
if your playing a show, your going to be mic'd. and guess what, when you mic your cab, your only going to mic 1 speaker. So do you need 4 speakers? probably not.
when you record your cab, youll probably going to mic only one speaker, so......... guess what..................... you dont need four speakers. haha, i know it look more baddass to have a full stack, but i think you will be fine with a head and a 2x12.
Quote by giternator

i think it's pretty metal

haha, but yeah whatever it's cool. just as long as you're not getting a piece of crap 4x12 with paper speakers when you could get a decent 2x12. which i see you're not by getting the vader 4x12.
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by IbanezPsycho
Why not get the head and a 2x12 cab now and add on another 2x12 cab later? Its basically a combo with more flexibilty....

+1, that'd be a decent compromise, and allow the flexibility to change later too.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
lol, I want TWO 4x12 Cabs with the Marshall head I'm going to get, because it looks cool.

But ehh, that's way too much volume, I would have just leave the two unplugged and just have a 2x12 next to them thats plugged. (Just to look cool)

But I'm just getting a single 2x12 for now, and a 4x12 later later, and hopefully another 4x12!! so I can achieve the "coolness". haha.
I have a 5150 with a 2x12. It's fine, it's still rediculously loud. I've never been above level 3. It sounds great, I've got a 1936 2x12 and it's incredible. I don't think you'd need a 4x12.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
Well with a budget of $1200. I honestly wouldn't even be looking at a 5150 if you're going used. No offense to the people that like them, but there's much better you can have in that price range (imo).

I'd personally much rather have a Mark IV, Rect-O-Verb, JSX or Switchblade combo.

But, if you have your mind set on getting a 5150 and think that'll be the tone you want for a while, I'll go ahead and give a +1 to the head + 2x12 recomendations.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
thanks for all the comments so far and dont u guys think for a second im 100% sure lol. if u think u have a valid anti-4x12 comment, thats what i want to hear and have heard.

my budget includes guitar, cab and head and i cant afford something more but with more saving i can get a powerball XD. im thinkin i should just wait for the powerball and get a 2x12.

jambi_mantra: you say you have a 5150 and a 2x12, yes i know its loud but hows the grit, chunk, thump, etc? does it still cause damage to your chest so much that you feel like your having a heart attaack (exaggeration). basically im just asking if your getting a great tight punch when you palm mute.

and for those of you in the know. do they really mic only one speaker. i would think that on a 4x12 they mic with 2 mics. but if its really just one speaker and one mic, i have to really reconsider
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
oh... yeah they usually only mic 1 speaker... it's all you really need (live).
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

they usuallly (almost always) mic only one speaker, both live and in the studio.
and for the record, a 2x12 is fukcing thick sounding.
Yeah, I use it mainly for playing in Drop C and C standard and if you turn it up, and palm mute, you feel it. It hits you in the chest and makes you smile.
No man has the right to be an amateur in the matter of physical training. It is a shame for a man to grow old without seeing the beauty and strength of which his body is capable

@gossage91
@overtimefitnessau
stacks look really cool and thats part of the reason why i bought one. I just wanted a stack so I saved up, but I don't think i need one. My little 30 watt combo was plenty loud for band rehearsel
80's Fender Jazzmaster
1976 Gibson L6s
Epiphone sheraton
Late 60's Univox High Flyer Custom Deluxe
Vintage fendr twin
Fuzz Face
Zakk Wylde Wah
i really wish people wouldnt waste money to "look" cool.
especially when you say it makes you look metal.
i think that makes you seem like a poser, maybe its just me.
Page 1 of 2