Greetings all.

I've been playing acoustic for several years now, and wish to take up electric. The problem is, I haven't ever touched one, so I don't know what equipment I need to buy.

I want to be able to produce decent heavy metal distortion effects at the very least. Ideally, I want to be able to produce a variety of sound effects, as well as be able to generate drum/bass patterns.

Can I produce decent distortion effects with just a good amp, or should I look into an effects generator? I could live without a drum/bass machine, or probably find a software one, but decent sound effects on my electric guitar is a must.

Another question is: Since I'm an acoustic player, I would like to be able to continue playing plucking, but without sacrificing quality. Can I pluck with an electric, or do I need an acoustic-electric?

So, to sum it up, I would like to:

• Produce decent heavy metal-type distortion effects
  • Produce a variety of other sound effects
  • Continue plucking with my electric guitar
  • Have a drum/bass machine

in roughly that order of importance.

Please advise, thanks!
Last edited by Zettai Baka at Feb 16, 2008,
Roland cube, it's right up your ally. Cheap, good for heavy metal and has some effects to play with.
I don't give a shit if you listen to me or not
get yourself like an ibanez jumpstart package or something, cheap, decent, (i still pull mine out and play it and i got it 5 years ago) and the amp they come with has pretty good metal distortion...

if you need a drum machine or something, try maybe a Digitech RP250, has a lot of effects built in and a machine i think, if not, get the 350. they sound really digital, but they're good for electric beginners for the price
Proud member of r0k 4 Chr15t club, PM T3hRav3n/christianbassis to join.

The Rig:
Dean Icon
Cimar strat-copy
Ibanez GRX-40
Dean Edge-1 Bass
Digitech RpX400
Peavey Rage 158

Creater of Tuba players united, pm to join.
line6 spider jam has enough metal to make you bleed out of your ass and it comes with 6 built in effects. It also has a drum machine built in. Its a great way to get your feet wet in electric. Picking a guitar is entirely dependant on your price range,
Thanks for all your advice. I'm doing research now.

Do I need anything special to play acoustic-style plucking with an electric?
^ no, you should not need anything else
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.