lately everytime i hit 1 string it does not sound distorted anymore. It sounds very dull and it is like i am in clean electric. i only hear that heavy distortion sound when i hit 2 ore more strings at once.

is this because my strings are worn out? or is it just the way the strings are?
It could be, but more likely someone has been messing with your amp settings, or your volume knob on your guitar isn't up all the way.
any suggestions for where my amp settings should be...for lets say a metallica sound?
I think it's because you are playing cleaner (technique-wise) than you used to.

I don't think it has anything to do with your strings

A recording of you playing would allow for a proper answer.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
Quote by Ænimus Prime
I think it's because you are playing cleaner (technique-wise) than you used to.

I don't think it has anything to do with your strings

A recording of you playing would allow for a proper answer.

what does "playing cleaner technique wise" mean?
It means that you are doing a better job of muting the strings as you play, making things in general less messy.

Have you checked to make sure it's not your volume knob?
You are muting strings instead of letting them ring when they aren't supposed to,

maybe also eliminating sympathetic vibrations (for example playing an E on the A string will make the E string ring out as softly)

A single string with distortion won't have the dirty sound that is the characteristic of distortion because there is only a single wave.
My name is Andy
Quote by MudMartin
Only looking at music as math and theory, is like only looking at the love of your life as flesh and bone.

Swinging to the rhythm of the New World Order,
Counting bodies like sheep to the rhythm of the war drums
For a descent metal tone, a good way to start is putting your highs at around 8, your lows at around 6 and your mids around 3, and building off of that. Put your gain on like 6 or 7, turn the volume up, headbang, etc.
my gain is at like 10..........

and right now i have a beginner amp

the knobs are : master volume - gain - distortion volume - tremelo - middle - bass
I doubt it's your amp. This happened to me. My high E was dead . I put a scalpel in the nut and made the slot a bit bigger and smoother, and put graphite (from a pencil) in the nut slots and the saddle slots. Worked like a freakin charm. And old strings are turdy.

For a cliche metal tone for bedroom circumstances. Just scoop the mids, although in a gig or jam setting that's notoriously bad to do.

The Gear I Use Most:
Gibson guitars, Les Paul, ES-335, SG and more.
Dunlop Crybaby | Dunlop Volume | Boss TU-2 | Ibanez TS-9 | Maxon AD-999
Planet Waves Custom Leads
Marshall JCM900 (model: 4100 + 4101)

TooJoo The Band