I have a Peavey VK 212 and I need more wicked gain on it. I want to get a nice metal sound. The gain on the amp is pretty good but I want a bit more and the gain on the amp itself is also a bit flat in a way.

So I'm thinking about getting a nice pedal to help that out. I was thinking of the Ibanez TS9 or Bad Monkey. So which one would do a better job?

Btw, do OD/Tubescreamer pedals were out the tubes faster?
maxon 808, if not Bad monkeys work well with VK's
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
I say amp it up a bit and get the TS9DX or maybe even a Metal Muff if you're looking for gratuitous amounts of gain.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
Quote by edwardthegreat5
I say amp it up a bit and get the TS9DX or maybe even a Metal Muff if you're looking for gratuitous amounts of gain.

So I take it that the TS9DX is better than the TS9?

Is this the Metal Muff that you speak of? Seems to be a lot of different ones...
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ElectroHarmonix-Metal-Muff-with-Top-Boost?sku=153339

Aren't the Maxons pretty much the same as the Ibanez ones?
dont get the metal muff, you want overdrive not distortion

The TS9 is a solid choice, the Bad Monkey is considered to be a fairly good cheap OD
|~| Iron Maiden addiction |~|
\m/ \m/

gear in profile
I have my doubts about the TS9 or Bad Monkey cutting it for metal though. I suggest you broaden your spectrum a bit
Quote by Revhain
I have my doubts about the TS9 or Bad Monkey cutting it for metal though. I suggest you broaden your spectrum a bit

They're overdrives, they're not supposed to "cut it for metal". You're supposed to put them in front of an already overdriven amp.

Having owned both, I honestly prefer the Bad Monkey over the tube screamer. If you scoop your mids (hint: don't), the tube screamer is probably better for you because it provides a mid boost that is very useful while soloing. If not, the Bad Monkey is fatter sounding and far more versatile. I suggest trying them both.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
the ts9dx isint any better tbh...ive got one

Its just the ts9 with another couple of modes added on

And the modes are pretty crap...basically turns it into a distortion pedal

You get ts9 mode (original)

Ts9+ (bit of a boost but sounds muddy tbh)

Hot (bigger boost really starts to mud up now)

Turbo (just too fuzzy and over the top :/)
Last edited by Sora 01 at Feb 16, 2008,
Quote by Archeo Avis
They're overdrives, they're not supposed to "cut it for metal". You're supposed to put them in front of an already overdriven amp.

Having owned both, I honestly prefer the Bad Monkey over the tube screamer. If you scoop your mids (hint: don't), the tube screamer is probably better for you because it provides a mid boost that is very useful while soloing. If not, the Bad Monkey is fatter sounding and far more versatile. I suggest trying them both.

Same here

The BM is a killer pedal
Quote by Revhain

Well, what would you suggest then?
get a TS9 W/ the chaos mod.
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Quote by Sora 01
the ts9dx isint any better tbh...ive got one

Its just the ts9 with another couple of modes added on

And the modes are pretty crap...basically turns it into a distortion pedal

You get ts9 mode (original)

Ts9+ (bit of a boost but sounds muddy tbh)

Hot (bigger boost really starts to mud up now)

Turbo (just too fuzzy and over the top :/)

I like it, It does get muddy if you use more amp OD on it, but if you turn the gain down, I find it perfect for my needs. And the TS9 alone would still be enough for metal, as long as you've got some good OD behind it.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
So I still haven't figured out whats better... TS9 or Bad Monkey, Haha. I guess there are a lot of mixed impressions of both of them huh.
Quote by Phry
So I still haven't figured out whats better... TS9 or Bad Monkey, Haha. I guess there are a lot of mixed impressions of both of them huh.

Yeah, you're best bet is to go out and try them out to see which you like.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky