Page 1 of 3
Warning this is a long winded message but it's worth the read, because I think it captures my frustration hehe.

Ok, I came to the boards about a month ago and did a LOT of research took some suggestions and about 2 weeks ago I made a purchase finally.

I went to guitar center locally, and I know that's already a strike against me but I took my pretty experienced buddy to help me out. I was gonna go with a micro cube amp because I didn't want to rock my house and I wanted something that was affordable and sounded good.

When I got there it was going to be between the Schecter Omen 6, Ibanez Rg series or anything that caught my eye in my price range.

After being there for like 2 hours I decided to go with the Ibanez Rg2ex1, I played it as a first time player and I liked the feel of the neck cause it was really thin and I like the sound when my buddy played it. However, he played it with super slinkies on it which I wasn't planning on using.

Anyways, I went ahead and bought all of this and then decided to get a boss mt-2 pedal for good distortion. Got my korg tuner and got some 60 gage strings and was omw home to finally rock out on my own guitar.

Well, upon arriving home I made the worst mistake ever of course I tried to tune down to drop C on the slinkie strings and of course the string just fell off so I went ahead and put the 60 gage strings in, which was not at all an easy job I had to use pliers to get it through and everything real PITA.

Anyways, I plugged it all in and btw I bought some monster cables as well. So, I start using my Korg tuner to tune down to C well I'm noticing a TON of fret buzz on the first fret from these new strings which my buddy said might happen. So, I managed to get it in tune and of course it sounded decent but the fret buzzing over the period of a week REALLY started to get on my nerves.

That and well my pedal made my amp pop and buzz really badly so I was very disappointed. So, I ended up taking my amp back and decided to take my tuner back and I was gonna buy an amp with a tuner after testing out a few I decided to make the leap and buy a Line 6 Spider 3 75 which totally dominates.

While I was purchasing the amp I had a guy look at the guitar and he adjusted the " truss rod " to raise the " action " which was suppose to make the fret buzz stop.

However, once I got that home I noticed all the buzzing was gone but the popping was still there and of course my fret buzz wasn't completely gone.

So, my buddy comes over one night and plugs in and he starts showing me some stuff and out of no where he decides to plug his guitar into my amp, well as soon as he switched out his cables all the sudden the popping was gone on the amp...

So, the next day I returned the cables and ordered some 10' Da marzio's off musicians friend which didn't ship for an entire week cause of backorder ( grr ).

So, I was playing some more and really got tired of the fret buzzing. I took it back up to guitar center and this time the guy I trusted was there and I had him look at it. He made some more raising of the " action " and played it a bit and said he could still hear the fret buzz but it was gonna be that way if I wanted to use 60 gage strings which I pretty much have to use to down tune like my buddy.

So, I go over to my buddies house and I start playing on his schecter c-1 elite and I realize he has no fret buzz with the same strings I have... So, I've decided to return my Ibanez since I'm still within the return window and I'm thinking of getting a Schecter Gryphon.

But, I wanted to get you guy's opinion of a great guitar for down tuning around the 350-400 range possibly in blue.

The kind of music I'll be playing is Chevelle - Breaking Benjamin - Three Days Grace - Seether - Stained - Bush etc etc so I'll be tuning from standard down to c or b and I don't want a tremolo.

Thanks for reading this and responding hehe!
play in normal tunning (E) the fret buzzing will be gone... you can still play those songs... (in anohter tunning but who cares)
Quote by Moggan13
Serjem is like a Bishops testicals: Swollen
ಠ_ಠ
IIIIfb * KARKOLI * ytIIII(mostly rock... a little funky, a little hard just the way you want it )
You're either joking or you had a LOT of time on your hands you didn't mind wasting.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
are you playing for you, or for what youre friends want? I agree with above, buy what makes you feel comfortable playing it, and, rock out mother ****er.
Forgot all the bands you know and listen to real music....
And I haven't ever seen a good schechter or ibanez guitar...just get a schechter c-1, its considered a good all around guitar (which one is the XXX version?)
ya play in E see how YOU like it.
then just keep playing guitars intill YOU find one that FEELS right.(I LIKE CAPS)
I'm sorry you play that type of music.

I truly am. But ask for a recommendation on a guitar that is good with down-tuning and what gauge strings you should use.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
go for some hardtail bridge i'm guessing. ibanez sz series or a schecter c-1 but yeah, why're you tuning to drop c if you're a beginner? try learning stuff in standard first.
#1 "Forget all the bands you know and listen to real music....
And I haven't ever seen a good schechter or ibanez guitar...just get a schechter c-1, its considered a good all around guitar (which one is the XXX version?)"

Lol, I wasn't asking for you to critique my taste in music I just wanted your opinion on a good 300-400 $ guitar that was good for down tuning.

#2 "You're either joking or you had a LOT of time on your hands you didn't mind wasting."

I don't follow bud, what you mean?

As far as play whatever makes me happy goes, ya that was pretty much the plan from the beginning. I didn't do all this just so I could waste my time lol, I honestly believed I was making good buys when I did. Obviously, I was mistaken and that's kind of why I'm here...

Didn't come here to argue, but what's the problem with me down tuning as a beginner? Isn't it awesome to learn by playing the stuff you like to listen to?
Last edited by Waddy at Feb 16, 2008,
60 gauge strings? holy ****. do those even move?

find something else that you like, and try everything together before leaving the store.
not really the is you need to learn HOW to play before learning songs to play. you need to learn the basics before everything else.
Didn't know there was an exact science to learning guitar lol, but I'm still looking for someone with a solution other than put smaller strings and tune back to standard on the guitar I already have.
all around f@@@@@g up I think. There's no way(in my opinion) your gonna be able to play or have fun trying to play that starting out. The first song I tried to learn was everlong. I had never touched a guitar in my life and tried it and it wasn't pretty. Get your technique down. Learn some scales. You'll be so much happier in the long run. I learned the hard way like your on path to
Quote by MASTER JiMMY
Stop failing, and things will work out.
Quote by Waddy
Didn't know there was an exact science to learning guitar lol, but I'm still looking for someone with a solution other than put smaller strings and tune back to standard on the guitar I already have.

ya there is its called theory.
well just play the thing its a good starter and you really don't need 60s some 11s should be fine.
happy now?
Well like I said I don't want to argue, I have nothing against learning scales or cords or any of those things. I just don't see the harm in being able to play the songs I like to listen to with my buddy who has pretty much done exactly what I've wanted to do and in 2 years he sounds freaking amazing to me.

But, this is all pretty off subject. Unless down tuning on 60 gauges on any guitar other than my buddies automatically means I'll have annoying fret buzz. Cause if that's the truth then I already have my answer lol.
Ok bud, I'll look into it. Not exactly sure why someone would play 60 gauge strings when 11's are the answer though, that sounds ludicrous.
Its preference really.

And when he says 11 he means the high E not the Low E.
I just reread my post and so I don't think it's totally clear, the fret buz is only on the top string closest to me. That and if I've had it looked at 3 times now and no one can seem to fix it, I'm not exactly sure what else to do but put a smaller string there. But, that's just going to prevent me from down tuning isn't it?
ya just play the basics but feel free to learn songs with friends its good for you like a salad.

edit/ no you can still downtune.
Dude just get yourself a set of like 10-52, I hold Drop C fine with those. 60's are ridiculous, like nobody needs 60 gauge strings for guitar.
You can go with 11. to 56's
Don't tell people that you need to stick to 60's because your friend does; that's stupid.
Get a pack of 9's or 10's first, and learn standard songs, then after a few months of practice get some 11's and downtune.

Sigh, seriously. You don't need 60's to be able to downtune.

As for the 'popping' noise; How high were your pups on the guitar?
"Don't tell people that you need to stick to 60's because your friend does"

Never told anyone they had to use 60 gauge strings, I just know the bands I like to listen to use those strings and so does my buddy. If your buddies and all the pro's used a specific type of paint ball gun wouldn't you use it too?
Not if it didn't suit me, enough said.
And since you're a beginner 10's and standard should do you for now.
And like stated above, 10 to 52's hold drop c fine.
I'm into the same bands as you.......i can tune down to drop c with 9 super slinkys, and although the tension is a bit slack it's not a problem. I use a RG321mh, which is basically the same as your guitar minus a few details. As far as the buzzing and popping i have no idea. Tbh you don't need a distortion pedal with tha amps you've mentioned. You are using the distortion pedal on the amps clean channel, right?
Quote by Lukeisonfire
tool and opeth definitly dont play tube amps . You cant get those distorted sounds out of it. tube is for like beatles stuff right?

Quote by evilbeaver22
You're right, just about the only thing better than a Spider 3 is an MG : )

Quote by Waddy
I honestly believed I was making good buys when I did. Obviously, I was mistaken and that's kind of why I'm here...

You were making good buys, I actually even thought to myself, "it is so nice to see a beginner who is making good, educated choices, he is going to have a great time learning about playing the guitar". Then I read that you bought a Boss metal pedal, and everything just went straight to hell from there.

You are obviously absolutely clueless when it comes to actually using the gear you bought, and so is your friend if he wasn't able to help you with something simple as this.

Quote by Waddy
If your buddies and all the pro's used a specific type of paint ball gun wouldn't you use it too?

If your buddies and all the pros jumped off a cliff, would you do it too?

Get a guitar you are comfortable with, and learn the basics. Don't worry about having brootal diztortion in drop A tuning just yet. If you aren't able to sound good with a guitar in standard tuning without any amp, you aren't doing it right.
Lol, wow man I know y'all are good intentions and stuff but you gotta understand I was the essence of beginner so the only influence I had was my buddies and this forum. When I went and bought all this, no one said anything about strings so pardon me for trying lol.

Either way, going in today to get it all straightened out.
50's are enough for c..and play in d anyway with some 10s or something coz it sounds heavy and doesnt cause fret buzz

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Ya like 50 people have already said that, believe me I've already been flogged from here till tomorrow.

Gonna go up there today and tell them what's up and see what they can do for me.
Ok, first of all. From what you have described, it sounds to me like you have way too much relieve on the neck.

Hold down the bottom E string (thickest one) at the 1st fret and the 24th fret. And tell us how big the gap is approximately between the string and the fret at the 9th fret.

The problem can be easy solved, there is no need to return the guitar.

Your choice of amp sounds fine to me. However, return that pedal. That thing is horrid.

And the pop that you talked about. Describe it to us. I suspect it might have something to do with the jack.

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

The poping was resolved with new cables, my cables were bad or something. My amps great, the gap is none existent when I hold the 1st and 24th fret the string sits on the 9th fret.

That bad?
Wierd, then you should have buzz all over your fretboard instead of just the low E.

Do the same with the high e. See what happens

Just to let you know. It is no problem at all. Just put heavier strings on next time or adjust the truss rod a bit (loosen it)

Quote by KileManA7X
I remember my first erection. I went to my dad and was like "Do I have Aids???". I seriously thought there was something wrong with me.

heavier than 60 gage? and I've had my rod adjusted 3 times with no fix for the problem, it's gotten better but arn't ibanez known for their low action?
man i have 56's on my warbeast currently and that is realtively close to 60's but i wonder did you have to change the nut on your guitar to fit those. that is seriously insane
Gear:
1982 Washburn T-bird
2007 BC Rich Warbeast
Page 1 of 3