Page 1 of 2
I was talking to my friend the other day, and we got on the topic of Led Zeppelin. He pointed out to me that Jimmy Paige was so good because, every since he had been young, he had practiced for around nine hours a day. Like, he'd purposefully get in trouble at school so he could sit in the hall and practice. Then he'd go home. And practice.

Which brings me to the question. Given, Paige was guitar, practicing is just as important for bassists. So, how much do you practice a day, or a week?
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

...Coincidence? I think not.
Depends. Some days I'll practice for an hour or two, some days I won't even look at my bass. Really depends on when I feel like playing, lol.
Man if I had my guitar at school with me I wouldn't wait to get thrown out into the hall to practice.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I always play at least 3 hours a day. People say anything more than 4 hours is overkill and really doesn't do anything more for you than make your forearms tired.

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
Quote by MrDinkleberry
I always play at least 3 hours a day. People say anything more than 4 hours is overkill and really doesn't do anything more for you than make your forearms tired.

3 hours a day, every day... I envy your commitment, sir.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

I honestly practice about four hours a week. No reasoning or excuses or anything. That's just... all I practice.
I probably average at about an hour a day, but sometimes I'll play for hours and sometimes i won't pick it up at all so it just depends really
maybe a couple of hours a day, atm maybe more becuase Im unemployed and sitting round the house as I'm only just fit to work after a nasty bout of glandular fever
Quote by the humanity
I'm just joking Moog. you know nothing can tear our friendship apart, not even the fact we are miles apart, I am right there beside you, yelling, "Chug it, ya little wimp!"
When I was at secondary school, I used to practise 5ish hours every day. On a weekend, maybe more if I could.

Now, not so much. Maybe 2-3 hours.
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
I play minimum 3, max 5 hours a day, it depends on how much courses I have that day.
I once practiced around 11 hours on 1 day in the holidays (that was when I just had my bass for a week or 2) .

When i was in high school/secondary school (whatever you want to call it) I could practiced even more (around 5 hours a day)
Maruszczyk Frog 6 custom -> TC electronic Polytune-> Markbass CMD mini 121 + Markbass traveler 121H

Playing bass in Bamboo Avenue (Like us on facebook! )
EP out now!
Now with part-time work, coursework and lazing around I'd say around an hour a day, maybe less if I don't feel like it a certain day. But it's half term now so I'll be practicing some more and I'll be jamming with some bands that need a bassist
signature
2-3 hours daily, up to 5h during weekends
GEAR

Ibanez sr506
Yamaha RBX170
Squier strat...
Hughes&Kettner Basskick BK300

Quote by ChemicalFire
Where's my lynching bat?
Average about an hour a day, but it's all in my mood. Somedays I'll come home and play for hours, some I just don't feel like playing at all.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
I used to get at least an hours playing in a day playing while I was at college (while my girlfriend was at work!), and I'd sometimes spend whole days playing at uni if I didn't feel like classes. Nowadays I can go weeks without playing.
I have not layed my hands on my bass for about a month D: but i normally play for 2-3 hours daily im going to start pretty much soon again hehe...
"RAWR WIRES >:O"
One more kiss... One more touch...
I miss you, wont you hug me just one last time?

Twitter!!~ Follow Re-follow :P
When I get my basses (got em' taken away) back I'll be practicing ALL day.
Awakening The Revenant
Deathcore side project: Malevolent

Quote by shavorules42
start with more poppy music with occasional screams and then work your way into emoish crap like a day to remember and so on.
I'm with my bass for around 30-60 minutes a day, and actually practice for around 10 of them.

To be honest, I'm perfecrtly happy like this, I don't think I need more practice.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
2 hours a day, split evenly between my les paul and my fender jazz bass. weekends sometimes up to 4-5 hours.
I average about 2- 3 hours a day, but except on weekends, its not in a contiguous time block.
Typically, its 30 minutes before work, 20 minutes while dinner is cooking, an hour jam after dinner; you get the drift.
when i'm at home by myself, about and hour. whenever i'm with my band between 2 and 5 hours.
Slap a bass, not a ho.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
With all my music courses at school I come home drained of all desire to look at a musical instrument. Ironically since joining a band class to play bass, I am now a worse bass player.

Ouch, I'm sorry to hear that. It'll be fine, though. You may get rusty at riding a bike, but... well, you know the rest.
Les Claypool
Geddy Lee
Robert DeLeo
Flea

Weileder

2 - 3 hours everyday weekdays.

3+ Weekends, whether im by myself, jamming with friends, or with the band.
Used to be hours and hours. now its more like once a week because of work and stuff
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
Quote by WhyLater
I was talking to my friend the other day, and we got on the topic of Led Zeppelin. He pointed out to me that Jimmy Paige was so good because, every since he had been young, he had practiced for around nine hours a day. Like, he'd purposefully get in trouble at school so he could sit in the hall and practice. Then he'd go home. And practice.

Which brings me to the question. Given, Paige was guitar, practicing is just as important for bassists. So, how much do you practice a day, or a week?

Wow what stories evolve over the years.
Within a week of buying a Bass I started gigging. during that first year I gigged more than 200 times, Sept, Oct & Nov we played 62 nights. That was the best practise you can get and I always maintain get gigging.
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by Deliriumbassist
How much do I practice? I spend a lot of time with my bass, but don't practice enough.

Yeah, this is put quite well. I'm constantly dicking around with my bass, but I don't practice technique or anything useful often enough.
I rarely "practice" for the sake of practicing, but I have jazz band at school at least 3 days a week. And since my bass is sitting around the band room, I'll dick around during passing periods, seminar, and "music history", so I still get a good amount of playing in. I only take it home on weekends and for occasional jams and band practices.
If you could blow up the world with a flick of a switch,
Would you do it?

If you could make everybody poor just so you could be rich,
Would you do it?

With all your power,
What would you do?
Yeah, band stuff kinda drains me but, if I'm in a good mood, I can play 4 hours without even looking at the clock.

Funk is the best genre to play if you feel like playing the sh!t out of your bass!
Jazz is the best if you feel like relaxing while you play.
I love Cheezy Poofs, you love Cheezy Poofs,
If we didn't eat Cheezy Poofs, We'd be lame!

WHY SO SERIOUS SON!?
Quote by John Swift
Wow what stories evolve over the years.
Within a week of buying a Bass I started gigging. during that first year I gigged more than 200 times, Sept, Oct & Nov we played 62 nights. That was the best practise you can get and I always maintain get gigging.

Ah John, I am quite envious!

But its good advise. Gigging in any form will bring you to the next level. I just wish I could get more practise in that area!
Generally, an hour or so when I get home from school, and another hour or two after dinner. Weekends, could be I spend a whole day just sitting around fiddling on it and playing tunes, or I may not look at it. Also, I really don't practice when I have a report due the next day. <_<
well i play my bass for an hour or 2 and if its on the weekend i play it for 2 to 3 and if im at my guitarists house than 3 or 4 and then if i have band practice and my friends house 5 or 4
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
I play (I can't always call it "practice") around 2 hours every day. However, some days I will just lock myself in my room and jam for hours, and some days I won't even pick my bass up.
I got in everyone's hostile little face. Yes, these are bruises from fighting. Yes, I'm comfortable with that. I am enlightened.
Funky Muthafucka Of The Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 To Join.
UG Irish Clan-Póg mo thóin
Quote by Caustic
Beast Within, you're awesome.
i used to practice every day, now i generally practice once every two or three days as i practice piano more frequentyl.
Fender '51 Precision Bass
Hofner Verythin LTD Edition Guitar in Walnut w/ Bigsby
Engelhardt ES9 Upright Bass
1968 Trayner YBA 1A MK II Amp
w/ 6x10 cabinet

www.iaminlimbo.com
Page 1 of 2