OK..Quick advice- I got a Tenson SG awhile ago, but I'm having second thoughts(due to the fact that it's some kinda "non-brand" and I can't find any reviews for it, and before long I wont be able to return it:P Is it worth getting an Epiphone Les Paul Special II? I've heard a lot of crap about it in reviews, but I also did about the Stagg Les Paul l-400 bk that I was considering...so..advice?
Special II isn't really good

Try to get a epi standard or custom or something
Quote by Bartleby
i tune to drop-Z and string my guitar with barbed wire.

Quote by UncleCthulhu
we r all rlaeted bcuz teh bibel sez so we r al innbreads lolo

Prime Minister of Puppets of The Australia FTW Club

One of The 9 Winners of the Official 5th MOD Contest
well do you like the SG? doesnt really matter if its non brand or if you cant find reviews, if you like it just keep it
Send me off to bed forevermore.
Yeah-well, I prefer the Les Paul feel, as for the budget- it's about a Les Paul special 2 budget...XDIf I could buy a custom, I wouldn't be here doubting anything..So stagg Les Pauls are crap?

And since I can't find reviews- I can't know if there are some kinda technical defects associated with this Tenson whatever...which is kinda important to know..I have 30 days to return it...
Music Style? Slash-y...and bluesy...which is pretty much the sameXD
i actually love the special II
try it.
Epiphone Les Paul Special II
Squier Stratocaster
Marshall MG30DFX

Gear Fund - £97
I have the special II, not a bad guitar at all, sure it's not the greatest but you get what you pay for.
HI
i would look at a xaviere or agile lp clone first.

Those aren't sold here in the czech republic.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
...what does that mean? does it go out of tune? does it play crap with distortion????I was considering the special,before...
Last edited by ir1s1 at Feb 16, 2008,
Special-IIs are some of the worst guitars I've ever had the misfortune of playing.

The lowest Epiphone that is ever worth bothering with at all is a Standard. Even then, it's not that great. A custom is the minimum you should aim for really, even if you're a beginner.
oww...thad burn the pocket...I guess I gotta find a non-les paul guitar,thenXD
I have a special II. It's my first guitar. I would recommend it for a first guitar or a beater. If you can afford something more quality, giver. If not, then the Special will do you just fine. Depending on your experience, you probably won't be disappointed.
Quote by ir1s1
oww...thad burn the pocket...I guess I gotta find a non-les paul guitar,thenXD
Epi's SG series are good, and cheaper than their LPs (as is always the case with LPs vs SGs). A G-400 costs about a hundred or so less than the LP Standard, but is of the same (arguably higher) quality. The SG G-310 and Special are even cheaper, but like their LP equivalents, are very useless.

The other advantage with Epi's SGs (aside from price), is that an Epi SG actually sounds tonally closer to a Gibson Les Paul, than an Epi LP does. Due to the way Epiphone finish their guitars compared to how Gibson do it, all Epiphones have a naturally darker, thicker tone than the equivalent Gibson. So, an Epi SG sounds more like a Gibson LP, and an Epi LP sounds deeper and darker than anything Gibson produce at all (conversely, a Gibson SG sounds lighter than anything Epi produce).

So, if you don't mind the SG styling, the Epi SGs are a great way to go.
ir1s1 doesn't have internet atm. But he wants to ask about the Epiphone SG Special and if that is any good?
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
due to the fact that the 310 is slightly above his cash allowance
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by Simonwalker
ir1s1 doesn't have internet atm. But he wants to ask about the Epiphone SG Special and if that is any good?
No, Dont get an Epiphone below a Standard/G400
So should i personaly swap for a squier? I have a junior :S
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah