Hi Im keen to chat with other comtemporary rock and pop focused guitar
teachers for the purpose of sharpening our skills and sharing resources.

If this sounds like you give me a hoy!
well, for technique, the best bet is to get a real teacher. its hard to show someone what to do and do a in depth analysis of technique over the internet. as for theory, well thats theory. you can generally learn this on your own and by asking questions. though im sure a real face to face person would be better as i've taught a couple friends theory and they seem to understand it decently at a beginner level since thats all they wanted, but over the internet its hard to give examples for me as sometimes i use physical examples and metaphors.
Used to hoy!

CT

*shrug*
Could I get some more talent in the monitors, please?

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Chris is the king of relating music things to other objects in real life.
Ahoy! (I'm former Navy - I couldn't resist)
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Hoy!
Rig:
MIM Fender Strat

Vox V847A Wah
Dunlop JH-F1 Fuzz Face
Boss DS-1
Ibanez Tube Screamer TS9 x2!!!
Boss Passive A/B Box
Boss BF-3 Flanger
Boss Volume Pedal

Marshall 4203 Artist 30Watt Tube
Epiphone Electar Tube 30
hoy
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
Hoy...ish.
I've taught a few people basics and am about to start teaching a friend... I'd like tips.
There's only one thing we can do to thwart the plot of these albino shape-shifting lizard BITCHES!
Tip #1 - Don't travel to students' houses. You don't know who that person is, nor what sort of environment they live in until you show up.

My horror story was a guy who lived in a third-floor attic apartment of a house with no air conditioning. It was the middle of July so probably 35 degrees outside, and probably 50 degrees inside. Walking in the front door of the house (not even close to the attic yet), I was bowled over by the smell of cat. It only worsened until I got to the attic apartment, at which point, I wasn't sure if my eyes were bleeding or just watering from the acidic air in there. There were four cats, one WAY over-filled litter box that surely hadn't been cleaned out in weeks, and I had to move newspapers and a stale looking popcorn bowl just so I could sit down on their couch to do the lesson. There was no other place to sit that was not covered by something more.

Teach in your own space if at all possible. Even if that space happens to be at a music store.

CT

I know it sounds crazy, but try to learn to inhale your voice. www.thebelcantotechnique.com

Hoy I guess, although I'm not focused on one style I teach what I feel is necesary and what they like themselves of course.
Wise Man Says: The guitar is obviously female, she's got hips, breasts... and a hole.
UG's Flamenco Club
I really want to teach, but I don't know how to get into the business ! I'm only sixteen but I feel like I am more then qualified to teach at least beginner - intermediate students.
Hoy. teaching myself how to play left handed. Also teaching two of my friends how to play guitar from scratch.

One is a girl
Hoy!

And good tip by Axemanchris. Teaching in your own space is usually the best policy, but I don't mind travelling when the money's right.

Has Guitar Hero made a huge impact on anyone else's students?
I do a program at my old high school in addition to teaching on my own... it's like a 6 week class for beginners. It seems like more than half of the kids who come through were drawn to the instrument by the game. Anyone else had a similar experience?
Quote by bangoodcharlote
^Owned.

I suggest not screwing with the UGer with the best name on the site.

Quote by Albino_Rhino
I don't see how prostitution is going to help out your string buzz...
I would like to know if you can be a self-taught guitarist and drummer, and still teach professionally. Also, what does one need to do to become a freelance teacher?

I have more questions, but I'll wait until later.
Hoy!! I am a self-taught guitarist/drummer/bassist, but I took classical violin lessons for about 8-9 years.

I just started giving guitar and violin lessons a month ago, got 3 students and hoping to get more... I love it!

My main problem is getting the word out it seems... the music store that specializes in mostly guitars here closed a couple months back, there's another tiny little one (I mean tiny as in probably smaller than most of your bedrooms) but they are almost never open and specialize mostly in piano, flute, woodwinds, some violin/viola/cello, etc... not really any guitar stuff there...

I've tried putting up fliers on phone poles, grocery stores, community college, and near schools so kids see them..... also advertised on Craigslist.....I got 3 students in like 2 weeks but not even a prospect since....

Any suggestions as far as advertising go?
Quote by -Bloo
I would like to know if you can be a self-taught guitarist and drummer, and still teach professionally. Also, what does one need to do to become a freelance teacher

To teach privately in your home or whatever, all you need to be able to do is convince prospective students to throw money at you for your services. Not necessarily any training required.

To teach in a school or something is a whole other ball of wax, and self-guided education is not even close to adequate.

CT

Quote by FretboardToAsh
I did not post in your thread before you send me your message, therefore you're advertising some site I'm not interested in *reported*

I suggest you check your facts before you go REPORTING anyone,
or you might end up getting reported for making false reports.

Quote by FretboardToAsh
"Hoy I guess, although I'm not focused on one style I teach what I feel is necesary and what they like themselves of course."
Hoy, just started.
Ibanez RG1527
ENGL Blackmore Sig.
Marshall 1960A Cab
Orange 4x12 Cab

Member of UG's Official Gain \/\/hores - Invite Only
Quote by ouchies
I really want to teach, but I don't know how to get into the business ! I'm only sixteen but I feel like I am more then qualified to teach at least beginner - intermediate students.

i'm 15 years old and i have 8 students at the moment. they're all beginner - intermediate. just pass on by word of mouth that you want to teach.