The title says it all really. I don't have a dedicated distortion pedal at the moment and would really like one just to tighten up my whole sound for modern rock playing. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help
what sort of distortiion? heavy distortion classic rock? grunge?
Jackson KE 3 Trans Black
Schecter C7 ATX
Siggery Custom

Axe Fx Owner
I'll worry about the budget at a later date - I just want to know my options for now.

This pedal's for modern rock stuff really. Doesn't need to be heavily distorted at all. Just controlled.
Sell the MG and get a valve amp. Your tone will be so much better, it will be ages before you think that you need a pedal again.
do you feel that you have enough distortion and just want to tighten it up ?

or do you need a volume boost ? gain and volume boost ? gain boost ?
Quote by blue_strat
Sell the MG and get a valve amp. Your tone will be so much better, it will be ages before you think that you need a pedal again.

Believe me, that thought has crossed my mind so many times. It's just valve amps are so expensive! Maybe I'm wrong in thinking a distortion pedal would be a good cheaper (but still not as good) alternative.

Quote by The red Strat.
do you feel that you have enough distortion and just want to tighten it up ?

or do you need a volume boost ? gain and volume boost ? gain boost ?

I'm happy with my gain and volume - all I want is a tighter sound. I feel like when playing individual notes they bleed to much into each other if that makes sense. It's hard to distinguish them from one another (which I actually love for when I'm playing quite grungey stuff but it ain't fun all the time).
Peavey Valve King wich is valve amp costs less than a 100watt MG....just that VK is muuuuuuuuuuuuch better.
1. You're surfing the internet.
2. You're browsing through the UG forums.
3. You're reading now.
5. You didn't notice that there was no #4.
6. You just checked it.
7. Now you're having a lil smile.

Quote by hawk_kst
You Sir, have the best signature like ever!
Quote by Kozlic
Peavey Valve King wich is valve amp costs less than a 100watt MG....just that VK is muuuuuuuuuuuuch better.

I'll look into that - thanks
Quote by CE49
Believe me, that thought has crossed my mind so many times. It's just valve amps are so expensive! Maybe I'm wrong in thinking a distortion pedal would be a good cheaper (but still not as good) alternative.

I'm happy with my gain and volume - all I want is a tighter sound. I feel like when playing individual notes they bleed to much into each other if that makes sense. It's hard to distinguish them from one another (which I actually love for when I'm playing quite grungey stuff but it ain't fun all the time).

MXR M-108 then.

/thread.