hey all

im looking for a pickup from this site:

http://www.axesrus.com/axehumbuckers.htm

Im looking for a metal tone humbucker that can be coil tapped. my budget is €70 so im only buying a single pickup. only problem is the tone could be ****ty because the body is made of mdf! any ideas??

Thanks all

edit: there is only one pickup cavity and im not going routing so i can only have one pickup!
Co-Founder of the Jackson RR24 club. pm me or i buy peace for details

Jackson JS30RR Rhoads flying v
Richwood semi-acoustic
Soon to be customised Jackson Soloist copy
Roland Micro Cube
Roland Cube 60 (LOUD!!)
Zoom 505II effects pedal
Last edited by polaris6630 at Feb 16, 2008,
It might sound decent. Play with your EQ before you buy a new pickup. I had a crappy 100 dollar plywood guitar, and considering the construction, I could get some pretty nice tones out of it.

EDIT: MDF is medium density fibreboard. It's now used extensivley in cabinet making, and has a reputation for not holding screws well. It's also much heavier than real wood due to the fact that it's sawdust and glue, pretty much.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
Last edited by Will_Minus at Feb 16, 2008,
Oh yea I got the same Jackson as you, I didn't put Rhoads V on the name yet.
Jackson JS30RR
Epiphone Flying-V, Goth Series
B.C Rich Warlock
Line 6 Half - Stack Combo

yeah its just a body and a neck i have at the moment, all the hard ware is gone! mdf is possibly the crappiest material for guitars in the world IMO!!!!

so what kind of pickup form the page above wpuld you recommend? if i can get a nice clean sound from it aswell i'd be delighted!!!
Co-Founder of the Jackson RR24 club. pm me or i buy peace for details

Jackson JS30RR Rhoads flying v
Richwood semi-acoustic
Soon to be customised Jackson Soloist copy
Roland Micro Cube
Roland Cube 60 (LOUD!!)
Zoom 505II effects pedal
Don't panic too much about the wood being MDF. It will affect your sound, and won't sustain and so on nearly as well, but the most important factor in a guitar's sound by a long way is the pups. Particularly as you're going for metal style humbuckers, where I presume there'll be plenty of distortion on.

Besides, you can always take the pups out if you like them and drop them into a better guitar at a later stage.
don't drop it or ding it too much dude; mdf falls apart like a confused bisexual at an orgy.
2004 Fender Mexican Fat Strat
2003 Epiphone SG-400
Marshall DSL-401
Electro-Harmonix Small Clone Chorus
Dunlop Original Crybaby
Boss DD-3 Digital Delay
Boss PH-3 Phase Shifter

http://www.myspace.com/realityfracture/
Quote by Samzawadi
Don't panic too much about the wood being MDF. It will affect your sound, and won't sustain and so on nearly as well, but the most important factor in a guitar's sound by a long way is the pups. Particularly as you're going for metal style humbuckers, where I presume there'll be plenty of distortion on.

Besides, you can always take the pups out if you like them and drop them into a better guitar at a later stage.

If that's the case then why do none of the major manufacturers use the stuff?
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
MDF will probably make your guitar sound like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zcc8dTqflh8

Save the new pickup for something made of real wood, or at the very least OSB or plywood.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
I thought you couldnt actualy make a guitar out of mdf? at least not if you have a soul

Quote by dogismycopilot
Absent Mind, words cant express how much i love you. Id bone you, oh yea.

Quote by lumberjack
Absent Mind is, as usual, completely correct.

Quote by littlemurph7976
Id like to make my love for Neil public knowledge as he is a beautiful man

If that's the case then why do none of the major manufacturers use the stuff?

I didn't say it was anything as good as even plywood, but you will still be able to make music, and the pups won't be damaged by being in the MDF body and can thus be salvaged for a better project.
Quote by Samzawadi
I didn't say it was anything as good as even plywood, but you will still be able to make music, and the pups won't be damaged by being in the MDF body and can thus be salvaged for a better project.

I really don't think you could do much of anything with it, MDF is pretty dense - you're not going to get an awful lot in the way of resonance from it.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com