Ok, I noticed this last night while playing. My pinky finger comes down on the fretboard at an angle that I don't feel is normal. It doesn't come down straight like the others. It's like im playing with the side of it rather than the tip. No matter what I try I can't get it to come down straight. I will definitely get a pic up so you guys can see what I'm talkin about but I have to go to work right now. Anyone else have this problem? How has it affected your speed and technical abiliy?
ya buddy, ur lucky, my middle, ring and pinky go down at an angle so dont complain. it sucks balls
OH MY GOD YOUR GOING TO DIE!!!! j/k

Some people's pinky has a curve in it, like me. My advice is " If its not messing up your playing ability, don't worry about it", and " If its not messing up the sound of the note your hitting don't worry about it".

You'll be ok lol.
Jackson JS30RR
Epiphone Flying-V, Goth Series
B.C Rich Warlock
Line 6 Half - Stack Combo

Ok, heres a pic that will hopefully give you guys a better idea of what im talking about.

pic

edit: I know my middle finger is too close to the fret bar in the pic. I was in a hurry.
That's fine- if you look at it, your index finger is in essentially the same type of angled position. Either way, it looks like that comes simply from your hand's stretch- the hand is stretched quite far, and thus the pinky has to angle slightly to get the most possible reach. Seems like it shouldn't be a problem.
Quote by rockadoodle

edit: I know my middle finger is too close to the fret bar in the pic. I was in a hurry.

It's actually better to place the fingers near to the fret.

By the way, what guitar is that? May it be a Silvertone?
Quote by rockadoodle
Ok, I noticed this last night while playing. My pinky finger comes down on the fretboard at an angle that I don't feel is normal. It doesn't come down straight like the others. It's like im playing with the side of it rather than the tip. No matter what I try I can't get it to come down straight. I will definitely get a pic up so you guys can see what I'm talkin about but I have to go to work right now. Anyone else have this problem? How has it affected your speed and technical abiliy?

rock-a-doodle is the greatest movie ever made.
Quote by Deagle-Eyes
It's actually better to place the fingers near to the fret.

By the way, what guitar is that? May it be a Silvertone?

No, its just a MIM fender strat. I know its not the best but i'm in love with it lol.
It's not a problem at all. That's part of your fingers becoming more flexible. When you do big stretches, your tendons accomodate, so when you make smaller stretches, your pinky gets a little weird. If it hurts... just use your other fingers for small stretches like that.
Quote by Danno13
PROTIP: With guitars, you can go ahead and add the "Ed." to "Special"

My gear:
1964 Gibson SG
2007 Gretsch Electromatic
Washburn Acoustic-Electric
Some Fender amp
1967 Encore pile of dung
Quote by 67SG
It's not a problem at all. That's part of your fingers becoming more flexible. When you do big stretches, your tendons accomodate, so when you make smaller stretches, your pinky gets a little weird. If it hurts... just use your other fingers for small stretches like that.

No, there's no pain at all. I was just a little concerned since I was hitting the string with kinda the side of my pinky instead of just straight on the fretboard with the tip.
It's fine. Even your index finger is somewhat like your pinky but to as lesser extent.
Quote by juan Andrés

Sorry awful Anglish.
Hey rockadoodle, I have the exact same problem. My pinky is always on an angle even when not playing guitar, and I have a real hard time practising a solo, it takes me ages to play it well.
All I'm doing is getting myself used to it and practising more than usual, and sometimes using my third finger more than the pinky helps if the fret isn;t that far