I want a scale length of 25-1/4". Where is this measurement from? I have the melvyn hiscock book, but I can't find the exact specifications. I know it's from the nut to the bridge, but what part of the bridge? and what part on a tunomatic?
I think it's from the nut to the 12th fret length doubled, but I'm not sure.
Current Gear:
LTD MH-400 with Gotoh GE1996T (EMG 85/60)
PRS SE Custom 24 (Suhr SSH+/SSV)
Ibanez RG3120 Prestige (Dimarzio Titans)
Squier Vintage Modified 70s Jazz V
Audient iD22 interface
Peavey Revalver 4, UAD Friedman BE100/DS40
Adam S3A monitors
Quote by Anonden
You CAN play anything with anything....but some guitars sound right for some things, and not for others. Single coils sound retarded for metal, though those who are apeshit about harpsichord probably beg to differ.
from the bottom of the nut to the string saddles. 25-1/4 is an unusual scale length, though, 25-1/2 is more common by far. If you're making the neck, it shouldn't make much of a difference.
Quote by Chaosinborn

Quote by gh0sthack

Didn't Kerry King use MGs at some point?

I think he just endorses them because he likes sacks of money
oh, oops I meant to write 1/2

Ok, say I've made my neck and my wings and fretboard and nut, and they're all perfect, and glued together. I've basically got a guitar without any hardware at all. If I want to put the saddle at 25-1/2" is it just a matter of trial and error with a spare guitar string, or is the some technical poop you need to do? I'm sorry, I'm obviously new to this, I'm trying to build up my knowledge base
waaaait a minute. I've just confused myself even more, and the answer is prolly simple as crap.

I think I asked the wrong question. How do I achieve a scale length of 25-1/2"?

also, I noticed that the saddles on a tunomatic are kind of at an angle. errm, can anyone explain why this is?
Ok, the reason they're at an angle is because the lower strings need to be slightly longer than the higher ones to have good intonation. The angle in fact is 3.5 degrees relative to the nut. The scale length is the length from the nut to the bridge saddle of the highest string, make sure the saddle is in it's middle position to make the chance of trying to adjust the intonation and finding you cant less likely.
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
oops, I totally have one more question, which I really should have thought of when I made this thread =/

In "make your own electric guitar" by melvyn hiscock, he explains why a neck angle is needed, and explains that he does it during the neck thru base build, but doesn't actually explain how (or at least I don't think I does) Is it just something that you do while you cutting out the shape for the neck?