So i made this riff using chords Emaj, Cmaj, Dmaj, Amaj. My guitar teacher said that it doesnt pertain to any certain key, because they are all major and there isnt a key that fits them. He said to solo over this would mean i would have to change "modes" with every chord.

Now, when I know how to use modes, but im not sure what he meant, I think he may have used the word modes in a wrong context.. Does he mean modes of the major scale? I would assume he would mean:

When i played the Emaj, i would have to play notes from the Emaj pentatonic, then when it goes to Cmaj, i would have to play from the Cmaj pentatonic. Im only using Pentatonic scales for this example because i would have no idea what to do with the major scale. How would i use the major scale over this?

Im not quite sure wtf he meant, can anyone shed some light?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
pentatonic major, 1 2 3 5 6 1

yeah id just treat it as a modal progression, each chord sort of being its own key, constantly changing roots and scale qualities
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
scale qualities?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Listen to the way Hendrix play during "Hey Joe." The progression is C G D A E, which doesn't fit in any one key. However, he played Em Pentatonic over the whole thing. My suggestion is to use the E MINOR (not major) pentatonic over that progression, emphasizing chord tones (notes from the chords underneath). For instance, you would play some standard Em Pentatonic stuff, but then hit a C# note over the A chord.
Quote by sacamano79
So i made this riff using chords Emaj, Cmaj, Dmaj, Amaj. My guitar teacher said that it doesnt pertain to any certain key, because they are all major and there isnt a key that fits them. He said to solo over this would mean i would have to change "modes" with every chord.

Now, when I know how to use modes, but im not sure what he meant, I think he may have used the word modes in a wrong context.. Does he mean modes of the major scale? I would assume he would mean:

When i played the Emaj, i would have to play notes from the Emaj pentatonic, then when it goes to Cmaj, i would have to play from the Cmaj pentatonic. Im only using Pentatonic scales for this example because i would have no idea what to do with the major scale. How would i use the major scale over this?

Im not quite sure wtf he meant, can anyone shed some light?

Yeah, each chord is a new key. you could play the Major scale for each 1.

E Major scale...C Maj scale...D Maj scale...... A Maj scale.

you could also play the Major pentatonics of each.

E minor pentatonic over the whole thing wont work in this case. This is alot different than Hey Joe.
shred is gaudy music
^ actually the 5th degree of A minor pentatonic should work. its E G A C D , which is pretty much the root chord tones of your song.
if you were to play every chord as its own key would this be more of a modal music using ionian for each?

although that would imply no adding or taking away notes?
song stuck in my head today

Quote by bangoodcharlote
Care to elaborate?

actually your right. E minor pentatonic will sound fine over it, in similar way to Hey Joe. For some reason I thought he was saying all Maj7 chords. I rarely see Major chords written maj...( im used to seeing E - C - D - A ) for some reason seeing the maj automatically made me think maj7.

that being realized, I would not suggest changing keys for every chord. The 1 pentatonic scale will sound fine. There are other options, but that one will sound good, and is easily accessible.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Feb 16, 2008,
anything i can do with major scales? or just the pentatonic?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
anything i can do with major scales? or just the pentatonic?

I'm just going to throw out that A D E is in the key of A and depending on how you use the C it could be in the key of A. (i.e. if the C is more of an accent or a movement to D or something)

Also, depending on the song you could try integrating C# and using C as a quick jazzy approach to the C# or something.

Otherwise just use pents like people said.