I've played bass for a year and a half and guitar for 2 months, but the skin on my index finger keeps getting ripped up on my guitar strings. Every other finger has a nice hard callus on it, but it really hurts when i play with my index after 30 minutes or so. Is there a reason for this? has it happened to anyone else? any suggestions?
ive played for about 8 months and all of my fingers are like that, I usually stop for the day when they get all ripped.
Bass and guitar calluses are different. Bass ones are thick pads, while guitarist get ones that resist cutting better. No way around it other than stopping being such a pussy and playing through it I'm afraid. They will build up over time.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Superglue would probably seal it up...
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM Standard Strat
Traynor YCV50 Blue
Roland Microcube
Quote by Mike-T
Superglue would probably seal it up...

Its true.

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
However, it won't encourage the development of calluses. Only repeatedly straining the skin will.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Remember the most important rule of all when it comes to this subject (or any subject for that matter)...

keep on truckin??
Too many people own guitars. Someone had better go play a... clarinet or something.

:stickpoke

That means you.

Quote by slayer_rule_\m/
i once sneezed and a mushed up chip flew out my nose
needless to say i immediatly ate it
My callouses shed every three months or so (seriously, they just peel off, it's really gross) so maybe there just isn't anything you can do about it?
DRINK APPLE JUICE
O.J. will kill you