I pulled off all the strings off my les paul last nite cuz the high e popped and the rest sounded like ****. So i'm getting new strings today around 3-4. I dont really know anything about different strings. Does anyone know a good company that have thin strings that are easy to bend with? I play 70's-80's hard rock/hair metal and blues.
daddario 9s

/thread

"The mind is its own place, and in itself

Can make a Heav'n of Hell, a Hell of Heav'n"

- John Milton, Paradise Lost
Ernie Ball Slinkies

2004 MIM Strat w/ Fender Hot Noiseless pickups
Sovtek MiG 60
Avatar 2x12 w/ Celestion Greenbacks
Snark Tuner
MXR Custom Comp
Fulltone Full-Drive 2
Dunlop JHM3 Univibe
TC electronic Nova Delay
TC electronic Arena Reverb
I don't really know anything about companies, but I know a little about strings. 9mm and 10mm strings are pretty standard. 10mm strings are a little thicker, but are harder to bend with. 9mm strings are easier to bend with, but break easier.

That's really all I know

P.S. I use 10mm
Any of those above. Personally I'd go with Daddario. Be sure to stretch them every once in a while when you put them on.
Jackson King V KVX10
Line 6 Spider III 75 W.
Peavey 5150/6505 Combo to be owned at the end of 2010.
Quote by MrDinkleberry
Ernie Ball Slinkies

+1
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Ernie Ball Extra Slinkies. Easiest strings to bend with.
Xbox Live tag: Dream Away Rain
Add!

Quote by marko'd
dont sweat how quick your progressing, i heard that Jimi hendrix didnt get his legendary guitar skills until he was dead

Quote by Dreadnought
+ MOTHERFUCKIN' 1
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re
I don't really know anything about companies, but I know a little about strings. 9mm and 10mm strings are pretty standard. 10mm strings are a little thicker, but are harder to bend with. 9mm strings are easier to bend with, but break easier.

That's really all I know

P.S. I use 10mm

You realize that strings are measured in thousandths of an inch? You do not use 10 mm strings. Those would be thicker than a pencil, making them almost impossible to bend well with. Learn the metric system, it's great.

As for TS, start with 9s or something, then 10s, 11s, 12s. Work your way up. You'll notice your finger strength will gradually improve a bit, and your tone will be way way way better. Lights and super-lights sound like crap compared to 11s or 12s, they sound so thin and transparent in comparison. It takes time, but playing with heavier strings can and will make you more manly.
alright so i am thinking that i am gonna go with daddario 9's or 10's. Which do you guys prefer? and how much will they set me back, around 15? (i got 30)?
Strings cost about 5 dollars canadian, so most likely in the range of 3 American (even wit the exchange rate we're still getting ripped off on gear prices).

I would suggest 9-46. The low strings will have a normal amount of tension to them, so they won't wobble when hit hard, and the upper strings will have plenty of give and be easy to bend. I use 10-50's with the same concept in mind.
8's?
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
I use .11 and can without problem do double step bends (tuned standard), you'll get used to whatever gauge you use.
The gauge is just one component. It depends on sound as well. I have D'addario XL 10-46 on my guitar, but they are kind dull. I think I will go back to the 9-46 Hybrid Slinky's. They are easy to bend and are pretty loud strings. So it's up to you as to what sound you want, but 9 or 10's are easy to bend.
Current Rig:
Splawn Quickrod
Marshall 1960BX
Electrics:
Les Paul with Dirty Fingers
Kramer
Acoustics:
Hohner
Ibanez
Pedals:
Isp Decimator
Cry Baby Wah
MXR MX108 10 Band EQ.
BBE Green Screamer
Quote by bananaboy
You realize that strings are measured in thousandths of an inch? You do not use 10 mm strings. Those would be thicker than a pencil, making them almost impossible to bend well with. Learn the metric system, it's great.

As right as you are, inches are not metric

ON topic try a few diff types but all low guages, everyone has there preference lie somewhere. Rotosound, Ernie Ball, D'addario etc. 9-42s are probs the lowest sensible strings for rock 8-38s are a tad too unpredictable.
Bought
Ibanez S520EX EMG 81+ 85
Boss MT-2
Weeping Demon Wah
To buy list
Dtech Whammy
Hughes & Kettner Trilogy
ernie's rust in ten minutes (no joke that happened to me). they are alright but for the same price d'addario owns on them. and where did you hear of strings costing 15 dollars?! thats crazy. only coated strings cost that much and they arent worth it.

DR, D'addario, Dean Markley are all good. D'addario is the safe bet. get some 9's, never get 8's, unless you tune higher than standard which most people dont.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by Mr.G
yep

Nope.

They last like a week: they break easily, they rust uber-fast, and they lose their 'tone' incredibly fast. Clearly, they suck.

TS: I use GHS Boomers 10-52 gauge and their great strings (every aspect owns ). I play in D/Drop C/Db/Drop B and their very easy to bend.

It depends what tuning you usually play in though, like using .009's in drop A would be retarded, while .009's in standard would be perfect .

You decide .
Quote by Dithindious
As right as you are, inches are not metric

Nah, I meant learn metric so that you can realize that saying strings are 10 mm is a completely ridiculous thing to say.

EDIT: to throw in my two cents as to brand, dean markleys have the best tone IMO, but they don't make them in an .11 which is what i like. i use d'addario 11's on my main guitar, dean markley 10's on my backup.
Quote by P1ayingW1thF1re

That's really all I know

P.S. I use 10mm

I LOLed

All companies make different gauges, i reccomend 9s, at the least, anything less than that will flop off your fingerboard.