So, if I used the power chords E5, C5, D5 and A5, I would assume that would be in the key of C because the root notes as well as the 5ths are in the C major scale. It sounds good when i throw the chords Emaj, Cmaj, Dmaj, Amaj over them, but these are not in this key, and are not found in ANY one key.

So, a rhythm would be playing the power chords, and the lead would be playing the major chords over it. Would it be alright to cut the major chords and play a solo in the key of C or would there still be conflict in the sound?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
a key will have major and minor chords in it, depending on waht thirds are present in said key, a major key does not consist of all major chords
and i dont really get what you said after that
the 4 major chords in the key of C are: C, F, G, and A minor.

the keys that you wrote down are more or less in the key of A

but then again, if you think it sounds good, then go for it. i can't stand it when people write a song that revolves around the 4 chords of a certain key anyway lol
what im saying is, there are no keys that contain those 4 chords. So they ARE NOT in the the key of C. The power chords however, are in the key of C. so i couldnt play the major chords and solo over them in the key of C, because they are not in the key of C. So if i cut the major chords, and just play the power chords, could i solo in the Key of C over the power chords?

Pretty much, is this a legal move in the world of music theory?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
could i solo in the Key of C over the power chords?

It seems to resolve to A5 more than anything. Use A minor.

EDIT: Why did you make another thread?
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
different question, but more of it was pretty much dead

also, why woudl you say it focuses more on the A5?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sacamano79
different question, but more of it was pretty much dead

also, why woudl you say it focuses more on the A5?

You're asking about the exact same progression, and the thread was only dead because your original question had already been answered.

The progression resolves to A5, and all of the notes fit into A minor.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
yea, sorry i amde this at 10:45, then like 5 people posted on teh original one at
11, sorry, i figured it was dead, i was wrong :X
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
all of the notes are in the Am scale, but the chords are not
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Feb 16, 2008,
Quote by sacamano79
what im saying is, there are no keys that contain those 4 chords. So they ARE NOT in the the key of C. The power chords however, are in the key of C. so i couldnt play the major chords and solo over them in the key of C, because they are not in the key of C. So if i cut the major chords, and just play the power chords, could i solo in the Key of C over the power chords?

Pretty much, is this a legal move in the world of music theory?

For f*ck sakes, if it sounds decent, run with it.
Songs don't always have to be in key. In this case, you're in the key of E, not C. I think you're borrowing the C and D chords from the parallel minor key (E minor). I would recommend playing the solo in E minor pentatonic.
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Eh? How can this be?

The power chords are, but if A C D E are all major, they do not fit in the key
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by bangoodcharlote
Eh? How can this be?

He means all the root notes, not all the notes of the chords.
yea i know, but shouldn't the only major chords in Am be A D and E. The C chord would have to be minor to fit the key right?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A B C D E F G
M m m M M m D

right?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Last edited by sacamano79 at Feb 16, 2008,
Pro tip: A minor has the same chords as C major, starting on the 6th chord instead of the first.
Quote by dudetheman
So what? I wasted like 5 minutes watching DaddyTwoFoot's avatar.

Metalheads are the worst thing that ever happened to metal.
Quote by sacamano79
yea i know, but shouldn't the only major chords in Am be A D and E. The C chord would have to be minor to fit the key right?

1 2 3 4 5 6 7
A B C D E F G
M m m M M m D

right?

No, those are the major chords in A major. For the minor scale, these are the chords.

1  2  3  4  5  6  7
A  B  C  D  E  F  G
m  d  M  m  m  M  M
Quote by werty22
No, those are the major chords in A major. For the minor scale, these are the chords.

1  2  3  4  5  6  7
A B C D E F G
m d M m m M M

even so, only the C F and G would be major, so since the E would be major, not minor, it wouldn't fit the key right?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
Quote by sacamano79
even so, only the C F and G would be major, so since the E would be major, not minor, it wouldn't fit the key right?

Right. It doesn't fit in any key perfectly.
Yea, it doesn't fit any key, so why would i play a solo in Em pentatonic? Would i have to change the scale with each chord change as previously mentioned?
Gibson SG Standard
Ibanez S2170FB
Peavey JSX
Marshall 1960A
TEXAS A&M
If I had to recommend a way to solo, I'd say pick and choose your notes. Arpeggios would be good. Also abuse the hell out of any common tones those chords have.
The minor pentatonic scale is often used over its parallel major scale (such as Em pent being used over E major). This chord progression uses chords from both the E major and E minor scales.

It also uses notes from A and Am, so maybe you should use Am pent. It depends on what key it's in.