19 53%
JTM-60 combo
3 8%
JCM 800 4104
4 11%
JCM 600
0 0%
Voters: 36.
ok so i'm looking to buy a new amp and i have narrowed my choices down to several Marshalls. the problem is, i most likely will not be able to try any of these amps out, so i need help deciding which one is closest to what i am looking for. what i want is an amp that is very versatile, it must be able to handle blues, classic rock, hard rock, metal, and modern rock. i play mostly 70's and 80's hard rock and hair metal, such as journey, van halen, def leppard, etc. i also play alot of modern hard rock and metal, so it would be good if the amp had a great thrash tone too. i dont need it to be more than 50 watts or so. here are the choices:

JCM 900/4102 high gain duel reverb combo

JCM 800/4212 vintage 80's

JTM-60 combo

JCM 800 4104

JCM 600

thanks for any advice!
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
Quote by AzureNight
Don't worry guys, he's just bitter because he has a small dick.

Quote by Alexander_BR
You know that good feeling when you take a crap, gay sex is like that

Proud member of the Cardboard Mafia. Search "free boxes" for info.
why just marshell? i mean yeh they do have the most versitial tone i guess just on a whole, like fenders have a very pisific tone, same with orange and peavy's ect.... and you dont no what a line 6 tone is lol
most of those amps don't feature channel switching, or at least not very good channel switching... plus the older marshalls tend to have only one EQ for all channels...

if you really want versatility from a marshall, you have to get JCM2000 or newer. Otherwise you will get a very very specific (though still kickass) tone from your amp. Don't be fooled by purists who trash the new marshalls... the good tones are in them, you just need to dial them in
Quote by callum2903
why just marshell? i mean yeh they do have the most versitial tone i guess just on a whole, like fenders have a very pisific tone, same with orange and peavy's ect.... and you dont no what a line 6 tone is lol

A fender will not do glam metal. Peavey JSX would be great also. But it won't do Van Halen as good as an 800.
Quote by frigginjerk
most of those amps don't feature channel switching, or at least not very good channel switching... plus the older marshalls tend to have only one EQ for all channels...

if you really want versatility from a marshall, you have to get JCM2000 or newer. Otherwise you will get a very very specific (though still kickass) tone from your amp. Don't be fooled by purists who trash the new marshalls... the good tones are in them, you just need to dial them in

Of course why buy and amp like a Mesa or a new Marshall that you have to spend 20 minutes playing with knobs just to get your sound, then have to buy a $200 OD pedal to perfect it, when you could just buy a Plexi, plug in your strat or Les Paul, dime everything, and have tonal perfection?
Guitar
Ernie Ball Music Man Silhouette Special
Washburn WI64
Martin D-15
Amps
1960s Harmony
Rocktron/Egnater TOL 50 2x12
Rivera Chubster 55
FX
Fulltone OCD v.1
Keeley TS808
Voodoo Labs Superfuzz
Wilson WH10
Boss DD-20
Quote by frigginjerk

The JCM 2000 would be great if he was playing more modern rock and metal. He's playing 80's metal and 70's rock. Also, nothing does thrash better than a JCM 800 boosted with a tubescreamer.
Only thing more Marshall than a Marshall is an Orange.
I suggest you try some Orange amp's out.
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
ok, so i guess the 1985 JCM 800/4212 is what i'll be going for. i plan on getting it used off of ebay. i'm just really hesitant to spend that much money. is there any other amp that would be better for the genres that i play that i should look into? also, will the JCM 800 be good for bedroom practicing at low volumes?
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
Last edited by phobiafreak949 at Feb 16, 2008,
yeah someone said orange lol. but you didnt say your budget so i cant really suggest anything. Peavey classic with OD? idk how that sounds, im just throwing it out there b/c its recommended so highly.

i wouldnt restrict myself to one brand tho, thats bad. especially not marshall -_-. so many amps can achieve their tone and then some, like orange.
Schecter C-1 classic
Takamine GS330S
Roland microcube FTW!
Quote by metal Lover
A fender will not do glam metal. Peavey JSX would be great also. But it won't do Van Halen as good as an 800.

mate this si what i am saying,, fenders orange and peavey have PESIFIC ( soz about spelling) tones, AKA not versitial, im saying the marshell's are starngly versitial, i dont know why atchally, but you get a good all round tone choice from most of them,,, even an Mg, ,,,,, NAT
Quote by callum2903
mate this si what i am saying,, fenders orange and peavey have PESIFIC ( soz about spelling) tones, AKA not versitial, im saying the marshell's are starngly versitial, i dont know why atchally, but you get a good all round tone choice from most of them,,, even an Mg, ,,,,, NAT

Learn to spell. Are you 4?

Btw, it's specific, not like an ocean.
I've got the JCM900 dual reverb combo and for what I've needed it to do, it's been perfect.

I play basically the same music as you but maybe a bit more modern rock and a bit less 70s stuff, but tbh I got a decent (not fantastic) low gain bluesy tone out of an esp viper with EMG 81s so it should be able to do whatever you want it to.

I would advise you to check out orange amps though, specifically the rocker 30.
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.