Say your guitarist starts doing triplets and you're playing with fingers. Do you:

a) Grab a pick and do triplets.
b) Use finger as a pick and attempt to do triplets.
c) Spends months learning to pluck with three fingers.
d) Just play the note he's playing however you're comfortable.
e) Do something completely different, such as slap.
Triplets are not that hard with fingers. In fact, both gallops and tripleted quavers are very natural to play with 3 finger technique. If you have and sense of flow in your plucking hand, it should come fairly naturally. Even if you lack a 3rd finger with a remote sense of coordination, it isn't impossible to do with 2 fingers. See Steve Harris, who can play damn quick gallops with 2 fingers.

Just play what sounds best. Sometimes, although it may be boring, a single drone note under each chord could be the best for the song. Sometimes it will be following the guitars, and others it will be a complex counterpoint line. Play what sounds good.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
straight thumbing, or option c or thumb finger finger thumb finger finger
do not pick bass, for i shall hunt you down
I'd go with the 3 fingers approach, or just keep trying to do it with 2. You could also keep playing eighths for some counterpoint with the opposing rhythms. Doing something completely different is good too, but make sure it's not a cop-out for not doing triplets. If it sounds better with triplets, play triplets.
Quote by cameronc
y cant u just pluck triplets with two fingers?

Yes you can. Its how I play them. For me its easier with the two finger approach. Its also how Steve Harris plays them.

But for the most part, I wouldn't play triplets against triplets that a guitarist is playing. Unless you are aiming for sonic walls of thundering noise or a tight counterpoint, gmjack is on the right track. At that point I would probably lay back into more of drone or a supporting line.
Quote by gm jack
Triplets are not that hard with fingers. In fact, both gallops and tripleted quavers are very natural to play with 3 finger technique. If you have and sense of flow in your plucking hand, it should come fairly naturally. Even if you lack a 3rd finger with a remote sense of coordination, it isn't impossible to do with 2 fingers. See Steve Harris, who can play damn quick gallops with 2 fingers.

Just play what sounds best. Sometimes, although it may be boring, a single drone note under each chord could be the best for the song. Sometimes it will be following the guitars, and others it will be a complex counterpoint line. Play what sounds good.

Thanks. Further question; is fingering close to the bridge the easiest/fastest way to do triplets with fingers? I noticed the guy from Mudvayne plays around there when he's keeping up with guitar.
It's like that because the strings closer to the bridge are tighter and have less give. This makes it so your fingers don't get caught up in them.

As for the fingers, I don't know what everyone's obsession with needing three fingers to play gallops (eight, sixteenth, sixteenth) or triplets. It's not like it's any different playing them with two.
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
As for the fingers, I don't know what everyone's obsession with needing three fingers to play gallops (eight, sixteenth, sixteenth) or triplets. It's not like it's any different playing them with two.

I just find that because you can move 3 fingers in a flowing pattern, then restart in the same position, it is easier to play much faster gallops with 3 fingers. At slower tempos, 2 fingers gives a little more dynamic control to players getting used to 3 fingers, but when you get to something like the Trooper, it is much easier played with 3 fingers, to the point a beginner with 3 finger gallops canplay it with relative ease. Steve Harris simply makes it look easy with 2.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
3 fingers. or whatever works best with the music.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
a traditional bassist would play the root note of the triplets but if you would like to do it along with him....go ahead....does not matter whether you use a pick o r not..but i prefer them with my fingers(unless playing tool)
Try a dotted eighth-sixteenth rythm, that could sound nice

where the guitarist is going dotdotdot dotdotdot dotdotdot, you go dot dadot dadot dadot dadot

its hard to explain without sheet music in front of you, or you can just play the roots. You can do whatever you want, nothing says you have to play triplets, in fact i would probably advise against it. But if you really need to just use two fingers, it isn't that hard
Quote by Zar938
Try a dotted eighth-sixteenth rythm, that could sound nice

where the guitarist is going dotdotdot dotdotdot dotdotdot, you go dot dadot dadot dadot dadot

its hard to explain without sheet music in front of you, or you can just play the roots. You can do whatever you want, nothing says you have to play triplets, in fact i would probably advise against it. But if you really need to just use two fingers, it isn't that hard

If guitar guy is doing triplets, wouldn't it be more like a quarter-eighth triplet?
My attempt at explaining follows. Forgive me if you know what I meant and I'm being condescending/patronizing.

1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3 1 2 3
1   3 1   3 1   3 1   3