Well I bought one of those strat copy starter packages 9 months ago. Cost me like $60 altogether including 10 watt amp and strap. Well anyway it sucks BALLS. I'm talking the lowest of the low when it comes to guitars. Strat copy, no model name or anything. Looks like it was made in a sweat shop. I bought it off ebay too.

How much is this making me suck? I mean I'd say i've developed pretty well as a guitarist and can play some pretty hard stuff. Put it sounds awful. Almost anytime I play something on either the E or A string there is a buzz. And when I play with distortion it gets even worse.

What i'm asking is how much does having a really **** guitar hinder your progress and how awful can it make you sound?
Quote by shaunmcshib
Well I bought one of those strat copy starter packages 9 months ago. Cost me like $60 altogether including 10 watt amp and strap. Well anyway it sucks BALLS. I'm talking the lowest of the low when it comes to guitars. Strat copy, no model name or anything. Looks like it was made in a sweat shop. I bought it off ebay too.

How much is this making me suck? I mean I'd say i've developed pretty well as a guitarist and can play some pretty hard stuff. Put it sounds awful. Almost anytime I play something on either the E or A string there is a buzz. And when I play with distortion it gets even worse.

What i'm asking is how much does having a really **** guitar hinder your progress and how awful can it make you sound?

If your practicing a lot and know your getting better don't worry about your gear. It does no good to worry about what you can't change right now. You will get better gear eventually, just keep practicing.
Well, for practice, it shouldn't make a major difference in your guitar 'skillage'. But for showing off, a **** guitar is like entering a drag race in a push bike... just don't do it!
Am i on fire? OHHH NOOOO!!! I'M ON FIREEEEEE

well, it will probably decrease your total playing time where if you had a guitar that played well and felt good in your hands, you would be more likely to practice more. Same with the amp and effects. Im not saying you have to out and get a $1000 guitar and a $1500 half stack, but search around for gear that feels really good to play, and you will progress so much faster because you will want to play
your amp is making it sound crap. i bet the guitar sounds lovely through a vintage VOX AC30. maybe some hum, but a moderate pup swap will sort that.

the best progression from your 10 watt amp is IMO a 5 watt amp

Epiphone valve junior (keyword=valve) look it up, as well as other small tube combos. check the stickies etc.

the only feature of your guitar which might hole you back is a bad neck. try some nice fenders out to see if its that bad

Get off this damn forum and play your damn guitar.
It can hinder it a wee bit, but if I were you I wouldn't blame the guitar for something you can't do, and I want to state that I'm definitely not doubting your work over the past nine months, but you won't be Hendrix in nine months you know?

If you feel that your playing is REALLY suffering because of your guitar, then why not try and get it set up, so you can play at your optimum.

Just keep practicing buddy.
How high is the action? Cause if it's really really high that's just about the only thing I can think of that would cause you to have to learn to play incorrectly.

But what your doing is good! I've had the same walmart acoustic guitar (70 bucks, made of plastic) for 2 years and I just practice on it. It's great, cause when I play on a better made guitar (like I do at my church), it's nowhere near as stressful or difficult to play. I'll probably have the walmart guitar for as long as it's still playable. I don't see why I would need to practice on anything else. Playing on a poorly made guitaer is like resistance training for sports. You train and practice under worse conditions than you have in an actual game, so when the game comes it's easier to deal with.
Nope. None at all.
Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
your amp is making it sound crap. i bet the guitar sounds lovely through a vintage VOX AC30. maybe some hum, but a moderate pup swap will sort that.

the best progression from your 10 watt amp is IMO a 5 watt amp

Epiphone valve junior (keyword=valve) look it up, as well as other small tube combos. check the stickies etc.

the only feature of your guitar which might hole you back is a bad neck. try some nice fenders out to see if its that bad

+1 to the valve junior also you might wanna check out an 8 watt crate palomino(also a valve amp). Playing with a good amp will make you wanna practice.
well I have a similar situation
Mine is a Lotus (Strat copy)

its a piece of **** guitar, and if you can make a piece of **** play a song then when you get to a good piece of equipment then that will be MUCH easier to play and sounds a ****load better

just go play your freinds good guitar or at a guitar shop and notice the difference
maybe you just need some pickups and do some work o the bridge/neck.
thats the same kinda guitar i had to start of wth!
i bought some fender noieless pikups for my birthday and adjusted the bridge and it plays near as good as my dean.
A poor guitar can sound bad, but in the hands of the player it falls.. imagine the poor guitars played by pros over the years, hendrix, clapton, BB King, Vai, satriani the list goes on, they can make a bad guitar sound good, a bad guitar is not always a cheap guitar, have a look on the web and see if you can set it up a bit better..

consider..

Is it really the set up, is it really the amp, or perhaps a bit more practice will help..

Sure, if you had the guitar and amp of your dreams you may be a bit more inspired, it may have a better tone, but the sound produced is down to you, a better set up will help... hang in there
Quote by HexaDakota
How high is the action? Cause if it's really really high that's just about the only thing I can think of that would cause you to have to learn to play incorrectly.

But what your doing is good! I've had the same walmart acoustic guitar (70 bucks, made of plastic) for 2 years and I just practice on it. It's great, cause when I play on a better made guitar (like I do at my church), it's nowhere near as stressful or difficult to play. I'll probably have the walmart guitar for as long as it's still playable. I don't see why I would need to practice on anything else. Playing on a poorly made guitaer is like resistance training for sports. You train and practice under worse conditions than you have in an actual game, so when the game comes it's easier to deal with.

+20. But it would be nice to have a good guitar for when you would perform or something.
Of course bad guitar can give frustration but in the hand of a skilled guitar player, anything will sound good.
But heh, the mood is pretty much a very important factor, too. If you don't trust your guitar can then you will probably ended up with horrible playing. When you really like your gear everything will suddenly transform into something really good.
Well when I had my squire (er? I dont know it gets confuzzingggg lolollolol111eleveneleven) anyhow, yeah after I upgraded to an Epi LP I felt I could do alot more.
Put the amp in a microwave...

And get a new one.
If you still dont like the sound from the guitar, it might be better to try to buy a new one. Even for practice, you have to be motivated to practice..

^
He's laughing at YOU.
You better click that bastard.

Ibanez RG370DX
Peavey Valveking 112 (w/ Bad Monkey and GE-7 EQ)
The amp isn't the problem. I have a roland microcube and it sounds great. When I practice it's mostly unplugged, and the guitar still buzzes a LOT when I play.
Hey, after having a crappy guitar, a good guitar will be easy to play.
I am happy with my Kustom amp with me i shall admit it's the player. So i think it is mainly based on your skill. The amp you can always get a pedal for ^^ i hope
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
I have this guitar:

Doesn't sound too bad for a first guitar, I've got really low action on it, though it doesn't bend too easily... it's a good first guitar, but the fret clearance is horrible. Pinky at the 17 fret is about as far as you can go without the heel ****ing you up (the heel starts getting bigger at the 12th fret but doesn't connect to the body until the 17th, wtf?). Also, it has horrible balance for sitting or standing.

OK, so it is kind of bad for a first guitar, I should have gotten a Super/Strat style guitar, but that was like 5 years ago and I knew no better (I didn't actually start to learn guitar until like a year and a half ago).

Anyways, yes, your guitar can hold you back, but in most cases it wont.