Hey Guys,

Please do not consider this spam. This is a real program that really helps out unprivileged children around the world.

So this guy I know, Mike, and his brother started this program a few years ago called "No Strings Attached". Basically what they do is get old guitars that people donate, they fix them up, and send them off to poor areas of the world and so children who can't afford instruments can actually have a chance to get into music.

My reason for posting this is that these guys are in desperate need of guitars to fix and send off, so if you are local (or not even local) and you do have an old guitar that is broken or not really used, it would be HIGHLY appreciated if you were to ship it to these guys. They are very talented musicians and they can fix even the most damaged guitars.

Here is the URL:

http://nostringsattached.us/index.html

What these guys are doing is truly amazing, and charitable, and they are helping spreading the wonders of music around the globe.

Also, I am not trying to be a big advertising spammer, but I think that this is a great cause, and that if people could possibly tell others about this program, and spread the word, it would really change the world.

Thanks

EDIT*******
Here is a news article done about them just to show you guys how serious they really are. This was front page of one of the main Boston newspapers.

http://www.bostonherald.com/news/regional/general/view.bg?articleid=1072322
Last edited by guitarmannn at Feb 16, 2008,
Quote by wfbrady09
you like the patriots. they cheat. i dont like them.

but if my guitar ever busts ill do that.

No one cares what you think.

Take it to the NFL thread if you want to explain the reasons behind your illogical remarks.
Last edited by guitarmannn at Feb 16, 2008,
this is advertising...
it doesn't really mtter about what...
sorry-ish
Quote by Eliyahu
Mr.Cuddles killed The Metal!!!! FUCK YES!

Quote by TheReverend724
Mr Cuddles pretty much nailed it...

Quote by thanksgiving

"Oh Mr.Cuddles, you make my pants go boom boom. I are horny. Do not disappoint I"

Viscara (my band)
wow these guys arnt too far from me. If I give up on my squire I will gladly donate it.
Quote by tb89
wow these guys arnt too far from me. If I give up on my squire I will gladly donate it.

That would be VERY much appreciated.
I can't seem to find an adress on the site, but if shipping's not too expensive for a guitar, i have an old one.
Quote by Mr.Cuddles
this is advertising...
it doesn't really mtter about what...
sorry-ish

I don't think anyone's complaining... Hopefully nobody's going to lock the thread on principle.
Quote by 20cdndollars
I can't seem to find an adress on the site, but if shipping's not too expensive for a guitar, i have an old one.

Email Mike or Billy. Their Emails are on the site.

Please send it if you get the chance. It might cost you like $7 or something, but it really makes a difference, and you will feel really good about yourself when you receive a picture of little boy or girl playing your nicely tuned up guitar (they do everything they can to make them sounds perfect).
This seems really nice. I would love to donate but the only guitar I have is 1000000% beyond repair. Maybe I'll send in my bass when I get a new one in a few months. I'll bookmark the website.
Quote by The_Paranoia
This seems really nice. I would love to donate but the only guitar I have is 1000000% beyond repair. Maybe I'll send in my bass when I get a new one in a few months. I'll bookmark the website.

You should feel good about yourself.

But still, email Mike and tell him that you have a guitar that is pretty bad, and tell him what is wrong with it. They have many different ways of fixing things, and if they can't, then they can always use the parts from your guitar that aren't damaged.
Quote by guitarmannn
You should feel good about yourself.

But still, email Mike and tell him that you have a guitar that is pretty bad, and tell him what is wrong with it. They have many different ways of fixing things, and if they can't, then they can always use the parts from your guitar that aren't damaged.

My whole bridge came off and its a Wal-Mart guitar from the 50's. Then all the wiring is destroyed beyond repair. Doubt they could fix anything.
Quote by The_Paranoia
My whole bridge came off and its a Wal-Mart guitar from the 50's. Then all the wiring is destroyed beyond repair. Doubt they could fix anything.

Haha I understand. But thanks for considering it!
Quote by The_Paranoia

The wiring can actually be fixed pretty easily, as for the bridge, depending on how bad it is, someone might be able to fix it.

And Wal-Mart wasn't even around in the 50's
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain
Are you pondering what I'm pondering pinky?

Pinky
I think so, Brain, but where would we buy rubber pants at this hour?
There are so many better causes.
"Why should we subsidise intellectual curiosity?"
-Ronald Reagan

"Knowledge is in every country the surest basis of public happiness."
-George Washington
Quote by guitarmannn
Yeah F*CK YOU, and leave it in the only NFL thread. No one cares about your false opinions, now leave.

im detecting anger.
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
Quote by edwardthegreat5
The wiring can actually be fixed pretty easily, as for the bridge, depending on how bad it is, someone might be able to fix it.

And Wal-Mart wasn't even around in the 50's

I think we all got what I ment smart one
Quote by itsxsteves
im detecting anger.

I'm detecting useless spamming posts in an important thread.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

I never said there weren't, but I believe that music is pretty damn important in world cultures and even just to keep kids occupied.

Please consider what you are saying before you post.
Quote by guitarmannn
Yeah F*CK YOU, and leave it in the only NFL thread. No one cares about your false opinions, now leave.

you should do the same.

Quote by guitarmannn
I'm detecting useless spamming posts in an important thread.

*facepalm*

however, what these guys are doing sounds really cool, and ill make sure to check out local pawn shops for cheap stuff id be willing to take a hit on.
Quote by skaguitarist53
you should do the same.

however, what these guys are doing sounds really cool, and ill make sure to check out local pawn shops for cheap stuff id be willing to take a hit on.

I edited the post because I realized it was a little harsh for this thread.

And thank you very much, it is very appreciated.
Quote by guitarmannn
I never said there weren't, but I believe that music is pretty damn important in world cultures and even just to keep kids occupied.

Please consider what you are saying before you post.

I have considered what I'm saying and would have left this alone had it not been for the snide superior comment at the end there.

There are better causes that people should be giving their money to if they really want to make a difference.
There are people starving and dying, giving them a guitar won't help.
There are long term development and infrastructural projects that would help a million times more than this.
There are local charities for the homeless, the disabled and the abused that would benefit far more people in a more lasting way.
How many kids take up guitar only to leave it forgotten? Most of them, once they take up eating, tend to continue it.
There wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that this funnels money away from other more deserving endeavors that would actually help people and into this waste of time project and convinces people who are really doing nothing that they are in fact helping when they are not thereby making them less likely to donate to a proper charity.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Sounds like a good cause. I'll bookmark the site and donate should one of my guitars end up in rough shape

*knock on wood that they don't*
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by The_Paranoia

I think we all got what I ment smart one

I believe you meant, "meant."

But still, try sending it in, they might still be able to fix it.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
How would they play the guitars without strings?

Kidding, I would donate my guitars if I ever decide to get rid of them.
My League of Legends stream
The morning will come
In the press of every kiss
With your head upon my chest

Where I will annoy you
With every waking breath
Until you, decide to wake up
Quote by Ur all $h1t
I have considered what I'm saying and would have left this alone had it not been for the snide superior comment at the end there.

There are better causes that people should be giving their money to if they really want to make a difference.
There are people starving and dying, giving them a guitar won't help.
There are long term development and infrastructural projects that would help a million times more than this.
There are local charities for the homeless, the disabled and the abused that would benefit far more people in a more lasting way.
How many kids take up guitar only to leave it forgotten? Most of them, once they take up eating, tend to continue it.
There wouldn't be a problem if it weren't for the fact that this funnels money away from other more deserving endeavors that would actually help people and into this waste of time project and convinces people who are really doing nothing that they are in fact helping when they are not thereby making them less likely to donate to a proper charity.

*facepalm*

I already said I agree with you!!!!!!

All I am trying to do is help out a friend who is helping people around the world.

Even if these children don't continue with guitar, they can at least say that they have had the experience to. Some of these children never even get to hear music that often, so even touching a guitar would be a huge moment for them. Picture their faces when they actually get to strum away on it. It is a happy moment.
Quote by Ur all $h1t

(sorry, not gonna quote the whole wall)

I don't get it. Why rip on someone for trying to do somthing positive? Granted, there are bigger things going on, but if you're a kid living in a mud hut and eating a gram or two of rice a day, woulden't you want somthing to distract you from the suffering? A guitar may not be the answer to all your problems, but it may bring a smile to your face in an otherwise bleak environment. Sure, donating a guitar isn't the same as donating to the red cross etc, but imagine if people did both? I already donate to the red cross, and if I had a crap guitar to donate, I'd be happy to.

Personally, I commend the effort, though you did raise some good points and your opinion is certainly valid.
-Guitar Gear-
1995 American Fender Strat, EMG 85 pup
Randall RH200 Head
Marshall 1960a Cab
Woods Acoustic
-Bass Gear-
Spector Legend 4 bass
Washburn Bantam bass
Hartke HA2500
Fender Bassman 410H
Play what you love, love what you play
Quote by edwardthegreat5
I believe you meant, "meant."

But still, try sending it in, they might still be able to fix it.

Always have to get the last word in....
Quote by Garou1911
(sorry, not gonna quote the whole wall)

I don't get it. Why rip on someone for trying to do somthing positive? Granted, there are bigger things going on, but if you're a kid living in a mud hut and eating a gram or two of rice a day, woulden't you want somthing to distract you from the suffering? A guitar may not be the answer to all your problems, but it may bring a smile to your face in an otherwise bleak environment. Sure, donating a guitar isn't the same as donating to the red cross etc, but imagine if people did both? I already donate to the red cross, and if I had a crap guitar to donate, I'd be happy to.

Personally, I commend the effort, though you did raise some good points and your opinion is certainly valid.

The point is that most people don;t do both.

Anyway, I too commend the effort.
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by The_Paranoia

Always have to get the last word in....

Yep, but remember, send it in.
Quote by Pinky&The Brain

Brain

Pinky
Quote by Ur all $h1t

I don't think you can feed kids in Africa or cure cancer with a guitar, though.
I'm a communist. Really.
Quote by Raziel2p
I don't think you can feed kids in Africa or cure cancer with a guitar, though.

Is that not what I just implied
-Ronald Reagan

-George Washington
Quote by Ur all $h1t
Is that not what I just implied

If so, you sure made a good job saying it subtly...

I get what you're saying, but at the same time, a guitar is a guitar. If you wanted people to spend money on real charity instead, the guitars would still be there. If you want people to sell their guitars and give the money to charity instead, all you get is that the rich buggers and the people who don't care if african kids die of hunger get all the guitars in the end. If you really want to put your ideas into life, you'd simply have to take some (or all) of the guitar industry away and use the resources for charity instead.

That's not very likely to happen anytime soon. There are many better causes, but I don't see why people shouldn't be allowed to give away a guitar or two just because it's not enough. Better that they give away guitars than not give away anything - as you say, only a few will do both, but honestly, only a few do anything at all. Besides, this kind of thing ought to teach us that everything can be used over. Someone ought to collect old computer components, build new ones and give them away to the poor. $100 laptops are $100 too much IMHO, and in the end they only make money for the producers. Of course it's not going to feed anyone, but who knows. Maybe it helps people get educated which again will help build the economy of poor countries which WILL feed people.

Any charity is fine, and while you're right, other kinds of charities are way more important, I don't think giving away JUST money to the red cross or whatever is going to work in the long run. If you're worrying about people giving away guitars rather than money for real charity, I think you're worrying needlessly. If anyone would do that, I don't think they'd be giving money to charity no matter what.
I'm a communist. Really.
The good thing about this is while it may not feed anyone, a guitar is far less likely to get lost in politics/embezzlement than cash. Plus if they decide the guitar isn't for them, they have it. So it's not entirely impossible to sell it.