What is main reasen ppl use distortion or overdrive pedals when they have amp which provides these? Is it just for EXTRA GNARLY ASS distortion? Or for amps with ****e OD channel etc? Or is it better quality/ adjustable? I do feel my laney TS200 has ok dis and OD but not like some you hear..
It is mainly because the pedals can make better distortion but it is also so you can switch between clean and distortion. You would be silly to go to your amp in the middle of the gig. Also you can hook up more pedals( i think ^^) and therefore you switch between more styles during a gig.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
Quote by addthelad28
What is main reasen ppl use distortion or overdrive pedals when they have amp which provides these? Is it just for EXTRA GNARLY ASS distortion? Or for amps with ****e OD channel etc? Or is it better quality/ adjustable? I do feel my laney TS200 has ok dis and OD but not like some you hear..

Many distortion pedals have better quality distortion than some amps, like my Roland Cube 60. I used to use R-Fier distortion until I got my Boss Metalcore distortion pedal...now I can't stop using that pedal's distortion!
"Music is an expression. Not competition." ~ Woe, Is Me

Guitar
ESP LTD Viper 400

Amp
Orange Crush 35LDX
Also you can on most pedals adjust the volume, so if you need your distortion part to be quieter then it shall be.
Guitars:
1994 Epiphone Explorer
1997 Epiphone Les Paul
Tech side:
Blackheart BH5H Little Giant
Rat DeuceTone
EH Knockout
G Lab Wowhee Wah
I've got a Traynor YCV40, and though the dist channel is okay for solos, it's piss for anything else. So i've got a DS-1 and a Blackstar Overdrive to give me tone i actually want.
Quote by sSyLc
Looking for a bj from an unsuspecting animal eh?
Member of The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society
Quote by denizenz
I came, I saw, I cleaned it up.
The main reason people like Zakk Wylde use OD pedals is b/c they need a tighter soundor the sound isnt right. Or they use OD pedals as boosts on their amp for solos or leads.
Overdrive pedals are pedals that are supposed to replicate an overdriven valve amplifiers. Distortion pedals are essentially the same thing but with harder clipping. The thing about it though is that you can't replicate dynamics and the harmonic properties of amp drive. I'd take amp drive over pedals any day.

EDIT: Anybody notice the pattern about who uses distortion pedals?
Quote by zgr0826
My culture is worthless and absolutely inferior to the almighty Leaf.

Quote by JustRooster
I incurred the wrath of the Association of White Knights. Specifically the Parent's Basement branch of service.
Last edited by H4T3BR33D3R at Feb 16, 2008,
Yeah I mainly got one because the od on my amp could only get a simple sound and with a Metalcore pedal the distortion sounded a lot better.
I love my metal zone
I love my DS-1
I love my tubescreamer
I hate my onboard distortion

Only time I use my onboard distortion is when I turn the amp model onto nu metal, and use the tube screamer to boost the gain.
ESP F-250
Tubescreamer TS7
Boss DS-1
Boss Metal Zone
Jackson JS30KV
Vox AD50VT-212
POD 2.0
Well i can switch btw clean and dist thro amps footswitch, and iv got fairly good tube amp.. but doesnt quite cut it.. Also sometimes i hear buzzing from amp when i play load (low notes) does this indicate a fault?
Quote by Thebiz
Many distortion pedals have better quality distortion than some amps, like my Roland Cube 60. I used to use R-Fier distortion until I got my Boss Metalcore distortion pedal...now I can't stop using that pedal's distortion!

Whats that pedal like mate? I have the same amp btw.