I just decided i really wanna learn to play bass. I have no idea on anything about guitars so i want to know what would be a good, inexpensive, beginning bass to start out with.
The only problem with buying a squier is simple....you now own a squier
Professional Mixing available at request.

Everton FC
all i'd suggest is to completely avoid the Encore starter packs they are the worst basses ive ever seen, Aria basses r quite good
Bass package.

Go down to your local Guitar shop and look at some packages.

Bass, practice amp, maybe Dvd's, straps etc for around $200 or whatever.

then when you're much more experienced you can upgrade your gear
"Punk is a state of mind, and no one can take that away from you."
Squier Vintage Modified P bass or J bass. Both are only $250, and will probably last you awhile. I myself would suggest the P Bass. Its punchy, clear, growly, and can do alot of different stuff.
Quote by jimmyhotpants
squier precision, you can't go wrong

thats a lie all squiers suck...get an ibanez or if u can afford it buy a epiphone thunderbird...best 4string ive ever played...but they dont have Tbird packs
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
yeah the Encores are absolutely terrible
Squiers aren't crap they're good
don't buy anything more than about £125/$200 if you're starting out
Rockin' shit
Quote by jimmyhotpants
yeah the Encores are absolutely terrible
Squiers aren't crap they're good
don't buy anything more than about £125/$200 if you're starting out

every squier ive ever played sucked, including the guitars...their just mass produced trash
Quote by aig91
"It doesn't get much beter than that! Ok, maybe a free ibanez guitar and marshall half-stack in perfect condition would be better, but free pancakes comes right behind that"

Quote by neptune1988
"My tone should be like me........FAT! "
Look up above this thread and you will find a marvelous FAQ, in which many people spent blood, sweat and tears putting together to assist pilgrims, like yourself, who are seeking bass knowledge . Within are the secrets to all the questions you ask.

Read it and then if you have any additional questions--repost in this thread and someone will be happy to assist.
Quote by albinokrikit
thats a lie all squiers suck...get an ibanez or if u can afford it buy a epiphone thunderbird...best 4string ive ever played...but they dont have Tbird packs

Actually, Squire basses are increadible for the price (the VM series is often considered superior to MIM Fenders, which are more expensive), while Epiphone basses, especially the Thunderbird, are absolutely horrible.

Very little clarity, horrible fret access and massive nck dive do not make a good bass, especially for a beginner.

Squire and Ibanez are the best common starter bass manufacturers, just get one that you like the feel of, with a small practise bass amp, as well as the usual strap and lead.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by albinokrikit

Oh my god..

TS, I suggest a starter pack (Logvical for a beginner, eh?)
Ibanez, Squier, and Yamaha makes good ones.
For long you live and high you fly
But only if you ride the tide
And balanced on the biggest wave
You race toward an early grave.

Ben Hamelech
go with squier VM p bass(i choosed that bass as an upgraded to my gsr200)
also i like the VM more than a 400$ fender i tried out for like 2 hours
IMO "cheap" fenders(MIM) are overpriced just for the name while squiers are damn good for its prices
and i repeat i chosed a squier over a fender
My Gear

Squier VM p-bass(i chosed it over a fender!!!) with quarter pounder and gotoh 201!!
fender MIM P bass
epiphone SG 400
Quote by BassistGal
Oh my god..

TS, I suggest a starter pack (Logvical for a beginner, eh?)
Ibanez, Squier, and Yamaha makes good ones.

The yamaha starter pack amp has a 6" speaker and is 9 watts. It really must be horrible.
Even for a beginner pack.
Dingwall Afterburner I 5 string
Warwick Blue Cab 30 practice amp
Quote by thefitz
But hold on - you're debating on whether or not to buy a bass or keep your house? That's pretty fucking hardcore!
Quote by albinokrikit

Ok buddy. Learn what you're talking about before you come in here and act like you're all-knowing. Not all squiers suck. For the price you pay, they'll play relatively well and sound ok. The vintage modified series sound pretty damn good for the price, actually. If you made a poll, as a matter of fact, I'm willing to bet >90% of people in the bass forum would gladly take a squier bass over an epi thunderbird any day. If it's the best 4 string you've ever played, you have some issues. Try a squier vintage modified (cheaper than the T-bird anyways), I bet you'd like it a lot more.

TS, try a Squier Vintage Modified Jazz.
Quote by PatMcRotch
The term grammer nazi is from the camps in the lolocaust made by Adrofl Hitlol...

Quote by Wasted Bassist
Be sure to rape the blue note (augmented 4th). Rape it hard and exploit it like the skank it is.

Founder of the All-Tube Bass Amp Owners Club. PM me to join.