http://www.nceita.org/wp-content/picture/peavey-rage-158-guitar.jpg

http://namm.harmony-central.com/SNAMM02/Content/Epiphone/PR/Goth-Explorer-large.jpg

this is what i'm working with (actually my x-plorer is lacking a whammy bar...)

i don't have a ton of time to devote to guitar yet (just weekends and i started last weekend).

any ways lets cut to the chase.

the guitar is in standard tuning and for the most part playing Sunshine of Your Love sounds the way it should.

however, when i play a chord, you would never be able to tell its from that song. They don't sound a damn thing like it. I don't think the tab is wrong, i think the amp settings are making it sound wrong.

is saw list of amp settings in the sticked thread and one of the them is for eric clapton of eric clapton, i dunno if thats the same thing as cream.....

this is the tab i'm using

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/c/cream/sunshine_of_your_love_tab.htm

is it the amp settings, the tab's or both?

or is it because i lack a fuzz pedal?

any help would be appreciated.
that's a dumb tab. But if it sounds "wrong", it's probably that your guitar's out of tune, not your amps settings. I could play sunshine of your love on a metalheads gear, and it'll still sound "right". Not good, but right.
Anyways, as for the tab, eric uses chords, you can hear it in the song.. Try this:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/c/cream/disraeli_gears_album_tab.htm
it's song #2, just scroll down.
Hey
sunshine of your love should be played with the neck pickup selected with the tone off
you will need a lot of overdrive not distortion, and turn the bass to about 1 or 0 on your amp, i have it on 1 just for a bit of bass
that tab is good, but use chords insted of the first 3 notes of each bit

Enjoy
=========

Nathnialm

====
Quote by Nathanialm
Hey
sunshine of your love should be played with the neck pickup selected with the tone off
you will need a lot of overdrive not distortion, and turn the bass to about 1 or 0 on your amp, i have it on 1 just for a bit of bass
that tab is good, but use chords insted of the first 3 notes of each bit

Enjoy

let's assume you are talking to someone how know nothing about guitars (because thats what you are talking to).

could you plz explain 2 things.

so i reduce the base to 1 or 0 (i'm assuming thats the "low" on my amp, i am considering getting a much better amp, though i'd like to able to play at least one song before doing so). do i leave the rest as is? as in the mid and high where they are?

do i place them at 5?

and number 2. when you say "use chords instead of the first 3 notes of each bit"....ummm yeah what does that mean exactly?
Quote by dsubstanceuk
What amplifier do you have at the moment, and if you were considering getting a new amp, what would your budget be, and what are your styles?

http://www.nceita.org/wp-content/picture/peavey-rage-158-guitar.jpg

thats what i'm currently using, its one we have lying around, i didn't buy it, my dad has been playing for years, i just started.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/product/reviews/base_pid=483188/rpp=10/

i was considering that.

my budget would be sub 300 for now, if i get good, i'll invest...

as for styles. for the sake of practice, i'll play anything right now. When i become proficient i want to move to hard rock/metal.
Quote by rush5757
that's a dumb tab. But if it sounds "wrong", it's probably that your guitar's out of tune, not your amps settings. I could play sunshine of your love on a metalheads gear, and it'll still sound "right". Not good, but right.
Anyways, as for the tab, eric uses chords, you can hear it in the song.. Try this:

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/c/cream/disraeli_gears_album_tab.htm
it's song #2, just scroll down.

i've actually seen that tab in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h9z2KGmVwNY&feature=related

that appears to be it.

the problem is, i do exactly what the tab and that video dictate but i get a very acoustic sound out of the guitar.

if you were blind folded you would say i'm playing an electric acoustic or something

i just can't get it to sound like the song.
on a side note,

if i play Stone Temple Pilots "Plush" the chords sound great, granted theres no distortion, it actually sounds like the song, i know i'm playing the right chords minus the effect.

for this though, it doesn't sound like it at all. I would just use plush as my first song ever on guitar, but the chords are a little complex for my fingers and it's overall just a bit to difficult right now.
dude none of us have your amp. just mess around until you get a good sound.
But anyways, what I would assume would get you a good sound:
choose either clean channel blasted (8-10), or the lead channel with low gain (2-4). Choose the neck pickup position on your guitar. Go to that and leave all your EQs (low mid and high) at 12 o clock (5). You should be able to adjust those as needed, if necessary.
oh and just to let you know, you won't be better off with the marshall than the amp you have now. They're both practice amps, and there will be almost no difference. It'll be a waste of money. If you plan on moving towards hard rock and metal, I'd recommend a Peavey Valveking. They're around 400, but you could find one for 300 used.
Quote by rush5757
oh and just to let you know, you won't be better off with the marshall than the amp you have now. They're both practice amps, and there will be almost no difference. It'll be a waste of money. If you plan on moving towards hard rock and metal, I'd recommend a Peavey Valveking. They're around 400, but you could find one for 300 used.

are you refering to this?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442&src=3WFRWXX&CAWELAID=26039972
^ yes, that amp is MUCH better.
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Quote by Sid McCall
^ yes, that amp is MUCH better.

i'll keep that in mind
Quote by Midnight Murk
If you've only been playing for a week, don't go buying new gear already. And definitely don't get that Marshall. The Peavey you have should be fine until you get better at playing, so wait a year or so and you can get something more expensive.

oh no i wasn't investing in anything for a while, i was just checking things out for now, window shopping for now.

though i need to do something about anything i play sounding like its from a acoustic guitar.....
I remember when I first started playing I thought my guitar sounded like an acoustic even on the distortion channel. I now know that I had my gain close to zero.
Quote by Kurapica
I once used an SG on stage. I killed three people in the front row and I was only tuning up. It's THAT powerful.

Quote by aeliustehman
I've never seen Metallica use a wah pedal lol.

Quote by BWall1226
does putting stickers on a guitar make someone a poser cause im doing the same thing.
Quote by Midnight Murk
It sounds like an acoustic guitar on the distortion channel?

i don't think i have a distortion channel...

if i do, i don't know which one that is...
Quote by musicalfish
I remember when I first started playing I thought my guitar sounded like an acoustic even on the distortion channel. I now know that I had my gain close to zero.

how would i adjust the gain? there is no dial labeled "gain"....

may dad has a different amp down stairs, that seems to have more things to "play around with" if you will.

I think i will give that one a shot, just to see if i can get the desired sound on that.
Quote by Midnight Murk
See the box on the panel with "LEAD" at the top? That's the distortion channel. Pre-gain should be the amount of distortion and post-gain should be the volume. Flip the little channel switch down to lead.

oh ok, so

should i increase the pre-gain?

wow thats a lot closer.

anything other "tips"??
Quote by Midnight Murk
Increasing the pre-gain more and more will give you more distortion.

You'll want to mess with the EQ settings to get closer to the tone. I don't have any Clapton settings on the top of my head, though, so you'll need someone else's advice. I can tell you that you should probably use your neck pickup with the tone at 0.

are you referring to the dials on the actual guitar?

if i place those at 0 (save the master volume) i lose any distortion...

actually i don't even know if thats the master volume i have on, i mean i guess it is.

but they are not labeled anywhere.....

i'll screw around with EQ.

Thanks for the help
Quote by Midnight Murk
I'm talking about the tone knob on the guitar. Put that at 0.

this might should like one of those "you must be joking" questions, but i'm assuming

the left knob is master volume, and the other 2 are tone.

they aren't labeled if you look at the pick on page one.

actually it hard to tell what number they are on as there i no notch that marks where it starts reading from. My only complaint with the actual guitar....
The reason you think your amp sounds acoustic is because it doesn't have a reverb setting on it.
Quote by Midnight Murk
I'm not sure, so here's what you have to do. If you turn one all the way down and no sound comes out, that would be the volume. Otherwise, you'll have tone. You'll notice it will get "muddier" the closer you get to 0. You'll want it at 0 for this song.

Also, in order to use the neck pickup, flip that selector switch (on the guitar) to the "up" position.

Most guitars don't have a notch to tell you what number the knob is at, so if you see about where it is when it's at 10, you can usually estimate off that.

ok,

the left knob is master,

the middle knob controls the pickup when i flip the switch down.

the right one controls the pickup when i flip it up.

could i ask what the difference btwn up down and middle on the switch is?

why up? for example
Quote by Midnight Murk
Up selects the neck pickup, which is the one closest to the neck. The middle position uses both pickups at once. The down position uses the bridge pickup. Clapton used the neck pickup in "Sunshine of Your Love."

fair enough....
IMO, on most guitars 0 on the tone knob is way too muddy. more like 5 is the best. some people have dark amps too. take that into account.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^D is the chord. so is C. G and F is when they go up to G. if you think about it, clapton plays a D major chord and C major chord in the main riff. and he explains it here:
Quote by ECistheBest
CORRECT WAY TO PLAY SUNSHINE AS EXPLAINED BY CLAPTON HIMSELF:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSTa_A-RLDc
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Midnight Murk
Do you have any other questions? I'm glad I can help.

thanks for all that help btw
Quote by ECistheBest
IMO, on most guitars 0 on the tone knob is way too muddy. more like 5 is the best. some people have dark amps too. take that into account.

Yeah I'd agree on that too - 4/5 on the tone knob sounds perfect IMO ...neck PU of course
my tone knob is at about 4 (7~8 for regular tone knobs) and volume is about 8 for the main riff. turn it up to 10 for the guitar solo.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by ECistheBest
^D is the chord. so is C. G and F is when they go up to G. if you think about it, clapton plays a D major chord and C major chord in the main riff. and he explains it here:

ok i googled a C major chord and played it.

that sounded very correct.

best yet for the chorus.

why does it say C major but than list different for fretting under it.

why is telling me

-
-
x

when a C major is

http://www.jamplay.com/images/chords/c-major-chord-27.jpg

i really applicate everyone's help here, in bringing me up to speed on the basics.

i'm pretty much trying to teach my self here, but i have questions like these that you kind of need some knowledge in the actual skill to answer....
-
-
x

is D major triad some sort of inversion. BUT clapton doesn't play that. he plays:
-
x
x
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
oh holy ****, i've been reading the tab wrong, the entire time......

wow...........
well, every thing makes a hell of a lot more sense now.

i'm gonna call it day and go screw around for the rest of the night.

thanks everyone.
Quote by Midnight Murk
Are there any guitar teachers in your area? I'm sure that would be easier since you don't have any theory knowledge and because you are just starting. They could help you learn correctly off the start, instead of playing with bad technique and having to revamp everything when moving to harder stuff (like me).

well, my dad (step dad that is) has been playing for like 30 years now, so i'm sure he can help...

if my step brother comes up, he's actually quite good, i haven't seen him in 2 years now, and my dad says he's a lot better now...

i dunno, but this is where it counts right now. i'll figure it out, and if i have more questions (which i will), i'll be back.

i don't have time for lessons right now, i'm home on weekends and i'm not bringing the guitar back to the dorms.

1 because hearing someone play guitar is nice, but hearing someone learning to play is not.

2. its expensive.

3. i need to focus on school.

when summer comes about i'll have a lot more time to invest. for now its casual play...