Poll: Which voicing do you prefer?
Poll Options
View poll results: Which voicing do you prefer?
American
37 28%
British
96 72%
Voters: 133.
Page 1 of 3
There are generally two voicings for amps: American and British. American voicing is very bright, clean, and chimey (characterized by 6L6s), while British voicing is darker, grittier, and more ominous (characterized by EL34s and EL84s).

Some examples...

American: Fender, Soldano, Mesa/Boogie.

British: Marshall, Vox, Hiwatt.

So which do you prefer, and why? I prefer British voicing, just for that grittier, more aggresive blues/rock tone.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
I prefer British.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I love the British voicing, but the American still has a place in my heart.
Mitch Hedberg Group
http://groups.ultimate-guitar.com/koalabears/

Quote by Irnmaiden4life
why didnt you just play like crap?
if you need help with that, ask Vincent745

Quote by imgooley
Awe, so cute...

How old are you?

Quote by H4T3BR33D3R

Old enough to yell rape.
Both. Depends on what I'm playing/listening.

Kramer Focus 3000
Ibanez ATK300
Rocktron Chameleon
Digitech IPS33B
Ibanez WH10
Korg Pitchblack
Line6 UX2
I prefer heavily boosted British amps.
Quote by lizarday
oh yeah? well larry king the slayer guitarist owns bc rich guitars. (i think)
Union Jack for me
Gear:
Gibson X-Plorer Studio Yellow
Orange Tiny Terror
Orange PPC-112 Cab (2 stacked - 1 open backed)
MXR Phase 90
Fulltone OCD
I prefer british, as a rule, but I have EL84's in my Mesa/ Boogie. I'm conflicted as to what I should vote for.
I'm more of a metal guy and I haven't heard many British amps do metal good so I chose American.
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Hmmm, can't decide.... Ilike both cleans, and both overdriven tones, but generally i prefer the British cleans and light overdrive, but the gain on American voicing, if that makes any sense
Quote by jxljxl
If UG had a Facebook style Relationship thing, I'd e-marry you C-mak

Quote by jxljxl
I want C-mak in my bum.

^Think he might have a thing for me...
i prefer british voicing.
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
American. The first Marshalls were pretty much copies of Fender Bassmans, after all.
Quote by Kurapica
I once used an SG on stage. I killed three people in the front row and I was only tuning up. It's THAT powerful.

Quote by aeliustehman
I've never seen Metallica use a wah pedal lol.

Quote by BWall1226
does putting stickers on a guitar make someone a poser cause im doing the same thing.
British. Its a darker, deeper voicing it. British amps tend to have better bass response. Likewise, the over drive is smoother. These are just generalizations, but its why I prefer the British sound. IMO though, the American sound has its strength's too; its great for funk and pop, and the cleans tend to have more life to them.
both american and british cleans are sexy, but then i go with british crunch which just seems more fluid, and american hi-gain which is just... ballsier.
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Depends on my mood. I love the Vox sound, as well as the tone of a good Fender.

So I'll say just New England, for now, even though I'm glad the Patriots lost the Super Bowl.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.

American has it's place though.
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
usually British voicing since I use Marshall and Vox amps, but I also like the American sound of old Fender amps a la Rolling Stones
I love the American tone, like the Fender Princeton Reverb, like one of my #1 fav amps.

The thing is just that my sound is more British, like I've always grown up with it and it really is my sound, so I'm going to have to go with that.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Yeah I love Fender amps and they're chimey clean sound a lot, but a cranked Marshall Bluesbreaker combo or Plexi is just....orgasmo-tone

I guess the way I like to look at it it, the Americans did the guitars, the Brits did the amps...it makes us seems stil valued and a force to be reckoned with in the world I guess....
American amps do the British tone better than the British themselves: Fender tweeds.

I still love a good Marshall, though.
Quote by helsinki_vampir
Both. Depends on what I'm playing/listening.

+1

and i think it's a bit of an over-simplification to say american-voicing is "bright" etc... i'd call a recto an american voicing, and it's pretty dark-sounding.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wow. I don't know why, but I was really expecting American to win.
Daron. The Pit loves you.
daron aka kosmic is now a pit legend
Best post on the pit. Good for you.
thats pretty epic.
So you're like a slower paced Forrest Gump...
Yup...
American - Think of a wall of 65 Twin Reverbs, and Nugent playing Baby please don't go. That is the tone that made me pick up a guitar back in 1973
My *Core* gear:
Fender: American deluxe strat HSS
Fender: 65 Twin reverb RI
Ibanez: PUE5 Tube floor effects
Furmam: PF Pro R Power Factor
My gear runs silent until the onslaught
Quote by mr_hankey
American amps do the British tone better than the British themselves: Fender tweeds.

I still love a good Marshall, though.

But, Americans ain't as good as the Brits at doing EL84 tones IMO. The Vox AC30 is still the king in that category.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

If I had to choose, I'd say British, because I LOVE the sound of high end non master volume tube Marshalls, Voxes, etc.

But all I can afford right now are amps like Peavey and Fender for tubes (Getting a Blues Jr. NOS Tweed edition soon) so I like American voicing too.
Quote by Diet_coke_head
I love taking a nice dip of some horse shit, so good.
Quote by Gabel
But, Americans ain't as good as the Brits at doing EL84 tones IMO. The Vox AC30 is still the king in that category.

I know, that's what 6V6's are for.
^Agreed.

I can't say British or Americans are better, they're good for different things. For what I play a British amp fits me better. But it's like choosing between a Ferrari or Lamborghini, neither is better, all depends on what you want.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Quote by Gabel
^Agreed.

I can't say British or Americans are better, they're good for different things. For what I play a British amp fits me better. But it's like choosing between a Ferrari or Lamborghini, neither is better, all depends on what you want.

Good point. I still prefer American cleans, but it gets harder to choose when it's about the OD.
That's true. British amps have a way of sounding spikey when it comes to cleans. Vox has nice cleans though. But Fenders cleans are just much more full and sound way better. For od though, it's a tough choice.
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

im all for fender cleans, however i prefer marshall crunch to MOST mesa amps.
but im all about fender cleans so american for me
Quote by Gabel
^Agreed.

Rolls Royce and Lambo....more like
^Actually Rolls Royce vs. Cadillac would be more true then...
Quote by stratman_13

18watter video demo

My band

Page 1 of 3