Hey everyone im new here.
I have got my Squier P Bass 2 or 3 weeks ago. I got a dvd with it and can play all the stuff on that. Its just basics though and i was wondering what should i practice to become better? My picking is alright and i can use my index and middle fingers quite good too. Would learning some scales and easy bass lines help get me along?
Thanks in advance!
Learn scales, notes on the fretboard, octaves. That's what I did at least.
one thing id highly recomend if ur plannin on been anything more than a bedroom bassist is learnin to read music if u cant already, alot of ppl say u dont have to but it really helps
Quote by zac362
one thing id highly recomend if ur plannin on been anything more than a bedroom bassist is learnin to read music if u cant already, alot of ppl say u dont have to but it really helps

Yes, I would recommend this as well, especially if you plan to play jazz bass - I worked on my sight reading ability and it saved me when I played with a jazz band for a while. It's a very useful skill.

My advice would be not only to work on your technique, but learn any basslines that you find interesting. Do this to work on your rhythm and timing, because that's a huge part of learning to play bass well.
Quote by :-D
Yes, I would recommend this as well, especially if you plan to play jazz bass - I worked on my sight reading ability and it saved me when I played with a jazz band for a while. It's a very useful skill.

My advice would be not only to work on your technique, but learn any basslines that you find interesting. Do this to work on your rhythm and timing, because that's a huge part of learning to play bass well.

Okay thanks. I can read music aswell so ill find some good stuff to learn.
Do some improv, learning minor pent, get into a band. Learn slapping and playing with fingers (lol?).
Quote by Ht666
Do some improv, learning minor pent, get into a band. Learn slapping and playing with fingers (lol?).

Correction. Don't put slap high on the lst of skills to learn. It is a showy, impressive, but fairly useless skill. On top, it takes a fair while to make any real progress. Don't obsess with it. Get your standard techniques down well first, and just fiddle with it on the side.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1