OK guys, I've got severe writers block

I'm doing a presentation on Rock n Roll in the 50's, my section of the presentation has to cover

-what its roots where
-How it was different to other genres (the one I need help with)

I was wondering if you could give me an idea of other popular music genres of the 50's and how they were different in both attitude, sound and theory, examples would be helpful too.

I was on a roll but now my mind is blank....help plz
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by crustyreed
my contribution:

Chuck berry > Elvis Presley

Little Richard>Chuck Berry>Elvis Presley

Quote by sashki
They stole it from da black man.

Basically, it's like the blues, but more energetic, and the beat is straight, rather than shuffle. Subtle differences like that.

Yeah I mentioned the Blues roots to Rock n Roll. I'll add in the bit about replacing the shuffle with a straight beat. I forget to mention that
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by sashki
Have you talked about the theory behind it? The chord progression n' stuff?

nope, its primarily a history presentation but I'd like to have some music theory in it to show the change....and also to make it sound clever
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Rock n' roll is black music. All it is is fast boogie woogie mixed with rhythm and blues. It's different than other genres because a lot of it is based on stage presence (duck walk, Jerry Lee dancing on piano, Elvis shaking his hips)

The term rock n' roll was first used by a radio DJ named Alan Freed to describe the music of Louis Jordan.
Quote by slidething31
id throw bill haley and buddy holly in there also

already have, I grew up listening to Buddy Holly
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Quote by master

The term rock n' roll was first used by a radio DJ named Alan Freed to describe the music of Louis Jordan.

Black people had be using it as an innuendo for secks, I thought. Or did Freed know this and thought his music was The Sex?
Quote by Chobes
Black people had be using it as an innuendo for secks, I thought. Or did Freed know this and thought his music was The Sex?

Roll had been a euphemism for sex for centuries

"take a roll in the hay" etc etc

"Black music" was originally known as "Race music" (race as in ethnicity) and had its own separate music chart but became called Rhythm and Blues in (i think) 1947 because the term Race music was considered offensive
Quote by RevaM1ssP1ss
Wiggy = legend.

Devil's Advocate
Last edited by wiggy1988 at Feb 16, 2008,
Quote by master
Rock n' roll is black music. All it is is fast boogie woogie mixed with rhythm and blues. It's different than other genres because a lot of it is based on stage presence (duck walk, Jerry Lee dancing on piano, Elvis shaking his hips)

I'd say that rock and roll was largely derived from black music but don't forget to cover the influence of country, bluegrass, and rockabilly.
Quote by CowsWithGuns
And the facade of heterosexualism in the punk and ska forum came crashing down like a fat girl falling off a balcony...
as far as how it was different from other genres, mainstream popular music before elvis basically was stuff like frank sinatra and bing crosby. crooners. But then Elvis came along and was basically singing black style music and he was exciting and young people loved him.

Thats how rock was different. Elvis was more exciting than bing crosby and pat boone and guys like that.
Just get up there a say,

"Jerry Lee Lewis was a ****in stud."

That about covers everything.
"...And I'm pretty sure what you did to my children's snowman is illegal, if not, sodomy."
-Stephen Colbert: 'The Colbert Report'