If sound decays exponentially, then wouldn't every sound that's every been made in the history of the world still be going on, but they'd all just be much too quiet for anything to hear it? So then we'd be able to hear a Mahler Symphony if we had the technology to hear such a quiet sound, right?

I've heard this is wrong, but I've never had it properly explained to me. All I've heard is sound compared to ripples on water.
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
Sounds are vibrations in the air, and also bounces off solid objects. Solids are tightly packed groups of atoms which do not change shape or volume, but do vibrate in place. If all those sounds still existed, they'd probably be all smooshed together with other sounds over the years as well as vibrations caused by things moving/wind/newly produced sounds/etc.
sound is energy, energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transformed into other types of energy, So eventually it'd all have to be transferred into some other form of energy.
Quote by deaththrashcore
Sounds are vibrations in the air, and also bounces off solid objects. Solids are tightly packed groups of atoms which do not change shape or volume, but do vibrate in place. If all those sounds still existed, they'd probably be all smooshed together with other sounds over the years as well as vibrations caused by things moving/wind/newly produced sounds/etc.

So "Theoretically" it wouldn't be impossible to extract these sounds, no matter how old or distorted they are, with the right technology?
Quote by allislost
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Thats really interesting actually, just think, the words of jesus are still out there?
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

Quote by aetherspear
If sound decays exponentially, then wouldn't every sound that's every been made in the history of the world still be going on, but they'd all just be much too quiet for anything to hear it? So then we'd be able to hear a Mahler Symphony if we had the technology to hear such a quiet sound, right?

I've heard this is wrong, but I've never had it properly explained to me. All I've heard is sound compared to ripples on water.

Mind blown.
Quote by mental_zer0
Mind blown.

Yeah, But I don't think this is right, I just haven't had a satisfactory explanation from anyone.
Quote by allislost
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Well, if your comparison is with water, imagine a ripple in a pond. Eventually it settles out. If we were in some sort of geometric plane without atoms and stuff getting in the way, your theory would be possible.
Quote by Timothym
Well, if your comparison is with water, imagine a ripple in a pond. Eventually it settles out. If we were in some sort of geometric plane without atoms and stuff getting in the way, your theory would be possible.

But does it really settle out? Or do the vibrations just become so small that we cannot see them with our eyes? Are all the ripples in the world still going on?!? Damn.
Quote by allislost
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Quote by aetherspear
Yeah, But I don't think this is right, I just haven't had a satisfactory explanation from anyone.

Sound is transmitted by converting the sound energy to kinetic energy in the molecules in the air, eventually all the sound would be converted and it would cease to exist.

That's my limited understanding of physics.
Quote by freedoms_stain
Sound is transmitted by converting the sound energy to kinetic energy in the molecules in the air, eventually all the sound would be converted and it would cease to exist.

That's my limited understanding of physics.

Doesn't it convert to an exponentially small amount?
Quote by allislost
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Quote by aetherspear
But does it really settle out? Or do the vibrations just become so small that we cannot see them with our eyes? Are all the ripples in the world still going on?!? Damn.

Yes, gravity will pull it into a slight curved surface. Same thing happens with sound, just differently. Probably turned into heat, but I don't really know anything.
Quote by Timothym
but I don't really know anything.

You and me both, but I wish somebody did...somewhere...
Quote by allislost
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Sound is like a pendulum: it continuously loses energy until it stops. We know that due to perpetual motion being impossible, sound does indeed cease to exist. There are also many other factors involved that would make it stop as well. So, basically, Mahler's gone...
Quote by BLOBERT
BRO
So perpetual motion disproves that a pendulum actually just moves less and less until we cannot see it move anymore (and all the other examples like ripples)?
Quote by allislost
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
This is like dividing by zero
Quote by Meths
I respect and value your opinion.

Just kidding. You're a fucking retard.

Quote by Pr0gNut
You want to strap a bunch of used mattresses to the walls?

Why not just roll around naked in medical waste while you're at it?

Quote by the_perdestrian
medical waste isn't free on craigslist
Once it gets to a certain level of quietness, it would just be the normal background sound we have. The waves are particles moving, so the sound is dead when it has got to the level of the particle's normal movement.

In short: No, we could not.
The kinetic energy from the initial air molecules has since changed into other types of energy. Some was probably transferred into heat, some may have crashed into some other object, moving it slightly, or any number of ways that energy can be transferred. The energy from all sounds in the past is still here, it's just not sound anymore. It could not be "amplified" in the sense that some minute signal somewhere might be boosted to a usable level. Maybe some of the pressure from Jesus' footsteps transferred into the energy used to saw the wood for my acoustic? I can only hope!
Quote by aetherspear
So "Theoretically" it wouldn't be impossible to extract these sounds, no matter how old or distorted they are, with the right technology?

You could possibly extract sounds, but you'd have no idea what they'd used to be or how to pinpoint what sounds you're looking for.

That would be cool if you could walk into a room and hear what happened a day before or so, though, or something like that.
techinaically it would work but then if you heard a sound that happened in the present and your using technology that well enhnce sound to pick up the queitist stuff it will totally blow your eardrums
Quote by GC Shred Off
Maybe some of the pressure from Jesus' footsteps transferred into the energy used to saw the wood for my acoustic? I can only hope!

Awesome.
Quote by allislost
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
all matter is vibrating, if you go by the whole 'matter is just energy moving at a very very slow speed' thing. which i think is true, i can't remember. anyway, once sound causes something to vibrate, like an air molecule, the molecule will vibrate for a while, then slow down back to its original vibrating state, meaning that it won't produce any sound any longer. if you COULD hear it, it'd sound like every other air molecule. whatever the hell that sounds like.