Delay isn't really a versatile effect for rythm guitar right? I mean sure, you can echo chords, but even that is kinda limited. Some people say you can get a doubling effect. How would I dial it in? Also, people say 80's uses delay almost constantly. I don't hear any delay on David Bowie, or anything like that. So what uses delay?

What would be a good pedal to cover 60's and 70's delay/echo?

What would be some good settings for rythm?
Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man? Love mine. Also, there's an MXR Carbon Copy that's just been released, which is supposed to be like the DMM.
Quote by jxljxl
Fais wins at life

The obscenely young leader of the Laney Cult

Member of the EHX Guild
I love the DMM (great 60's-70's delay!), but I wouldn't invest in one for rhythm. I don't see the point. You can thicken up your rhythm tone nicely with a little reverb or a chorus, while a delay would just create a cacophony.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
set it to a really short repeat, at a really fast time. Otherwise, try an MXR Flanger/Doubler.
Quote by neptune1988
so if I'm the rythm player, then I don't need a delay unless I just want one, right?

i say get it. you never know when youll need one.
also i hate when people call themselves rythym players. it makes it seem like you cant get any better than playing chords and stuff (not that thats not important).
Quote by neptune1988
so if I'm the rythm player, then I don't need a delay unless I just want one, right?

That's the case with any effect, no matter what kind of guitarist you are. But I suspect there are other pedals that you might be able to put to better use.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Rhythm players don't use delay? I think The Edge wants to have a word with you...
Quote by OtisB Driftwood
David Hassolhoff Is the god of death metal

Quote by Kantroce
What's that? I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

My gear
Schecter Tempest Custom
Peavey VK112
Fulltone OCD
Line 6 Verbzilla
Line 6 DL-4
Xotic Effects AC Boost
Rocktron Tri-Wah
If you want a good example of how you can use a delay, look at U2's 80s albums (not counting War). The Edge's use of the delay really makes the whole band, the incredibly deep sounds you get from the delay and all.....

For that, though, roughly 400ms and one strong repeat is all you'll want (maybe a second faint repeat).

EDIT: Heh, guy above me was on the same wavelength.....
Do YOU know who Les Paul is?

Guitars:
-Epiphone Dot Studio
Amps:
-Fender Stage 112 SE
Effects:
-BBE Soul Vibe
-Boss OD-1 Overdrive
-Ibanez DE-7 Delay