I'm pretty much a n00b when it comes to effects setups.

So I'm playing with the gospel funk group I'm in today, and we had quite possibly the greatest jam session we've ever had.

Anyways, afterword the guy that kind of runs the group told me he made me a mix of old songs with some killer funk bass on a CD to learn and incorporate into my playing. A lot of the songs have some different effects on them.

Heres an example of the stuff they gave me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GP_mPAdQyQ

What kind of effects set-up would I use to get something like that?
Quote by Sonicxlover
I once told a Metallica fan I liked Megadeth, and he stabbed me 42 times.
For a guy with Bootsy for his avatar, I'm surprised you don't know much about the effects used in funk...

"Manual" wahs - Morley Dual Bass Wah, Dunlop 105Q, etc
Autowahs - MXR Auto Q is the only one I know
Envelope Filter - EHX QTron is the most popular

The difference b/w an Autowah and an Envelope Filter is that an Autowah automatically adds a "wah" every X seconds or something like that. An envelope filter reacts to your playing, meaning that if you play harder, it will add the effect more heavily.

Envelope filters aren't really as "wah-y" as an Autowah or manual wah though.

Bass synth is also fairly common. The Electro-Harmonix Bass Microsynth is probably your best bet.
Quote by Charlatan_001
For a guy with Bootsy for his avatar, I'm surprised you don't know much about the effects used in funk...

LOL, to be honest I'm more of a Francis Rocco Funk kind of person, bootsy just looks cooler...lol

and thanks for the advice on the effects.

If I could get one thing, as of now, and add the others later, what would you suggest I start with.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Not much at the moment, I'm just curious what should be next on my list...

Lets say price is a concern, but quality and functionality are more of a concern.
Quote by Sonicxlover
I would get a wah-like effect first, which means either an envelope filter, an autowah, or a manual wah pedal. You will only want to buy one of those, and keep it for a very long time, so make a good choice. The autowahs will not necessarily offer you a lot of control, and you'll have to sync the autowah frequency with your tempo. An envelope filter will let you play fast and wah in a way that you can't with anything else, but they can also sound duller than either of the other two. A wah pedal will probably sound the best since you manually create the sound, but it takes more practice because you have to learn to work it.

If you go for a straight manual wah, stay away from the Morley Dual Bass Wah. I have one. It has a spring under the pedal, and when it rocks all the way back, it turns off. That means it takes a lot more foot control to work it and get the deep lows that you can get in the all-the-way-back position. Go for a wah pedal without a lot of unnecessary features. Dunlop Crybaby, maybe?
Quote by the_woof
I would get a wah-like effect first, which means either an envelope filter, an autowah, or a manual wah pedal. You will only want to buy one of those, and keep it for a very long time, so make a good choice. The autowahs will not necessarily offer you a lot of control, and you'll have to sync the autowah frequency with your tempo. An envelope filter will let you play fast and wah in a way that you can't with anything else, but they can also sound duller than either of the other two. A wah pedal will probably sound the best since you manually create the sound, but it takes more practice because you have to learn to work it.

If you go for a straight manual wah, stay away from the Morley Dual Bass Wah. I have one. It has a spring under the pedal, and when it rocks all the way back, it turns off. That means it takes a lot more foot control to work it and get the deep lows that you can get in the all-the-way-back position. Go for a wah pedal without a lot of unnecessary features. Dunlop Crybaby, maybe?

After a lot of youtubing for some demo's it looks like a wah would be a good choice.
I've never messed around with wah pedal's so it would be a new thing learning to use the manual wah correctly, but then again playing the bass was new to me at one point too.

But, from what I gather, I should get an auto-wah, envolope filter, or manual wah. Pick one of the three and leave the other two behind. Right?
Quote by Sonicxlover
Quote by bigwilly
After a lot of youtubing for some demo's it looks like a wah would be a good choice.
I've never messed around with wah pedal's so it would be a new thing learning to use the manual wah correctly, but then again playing the bass was new to me at one point too.

But, from what I gather, I should get an auto-wah, envolope filter, or manual wah. Pick one of the three and leave the other two behind. Right?

I haven't played it, but the Wahone from EBS is supposedly a Wah and an Envelope filter in one. Nifty.

And keep in mind you can kinda do an autowah with a regular wah, just move your foot back and forth consistently.
Really the envelope filter is the pedal that would be most useful in my opinon. With a wah pedal on bass you are basically just either accenting stuff with it or trying to make it sound like an envelope filter. I really suggest the Chunk Systems Agent 00Funk Mark II pedal and the EMMA Discombobulator. Both are around the $200 mark but they are the only two envelope filters I've messed with that have more than one or two settings that sound good on bass. Chunk Systems makes bass specific pedals actually. They have a lot of sound clips with the pedal in different settings on their website. http://www.chunksystems.com/a00f2.htm
Quote by Jiimy
Really the envelope filter is the pedal that would be most useful in my opinon. With a wah pedal on bass you are basically just either accenting stuff with it or trying to make it sound like an envelope filter. I really suggest the Chunk Systems Agent 00Funk Mark II pedal and the EMMA Discombobulator. Both are around the $200 mark but they are the only two envelope filters I've messed with that have more than one or two settings that sound good on bass. Chunk Systems makes bass specific pedals actually. They have a lot of sound clips with the pedal in different settings on their website. http://www.chunksystems.com/a00f2.htm

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to check what brands the local music stores carry.

I had also been looking at the Electro-HarmonixMicro Qtron. I've found a few demo's and it seems to sound pretty good, and the price is somewhat appealing right now. $200.00 is a tad more than I'd like to spend right now, but if going with something a little cheaper (musiciansfriend hat the micro Qtron listed at around 80-90) will be suffucient, I might prefer that.

EDIT: also, while I don't own a electric guitar right now(I do own a bass, dont get confused ) I may have one in the future, so a pedal that would work well both on bass and guitar would be a plus.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Last edited by bigwilly at Feb 17, 2008,
If money is an issue, a Boss: AW3 Dynamic Wah, would be a good choice. It also works for both bass and guitar, and works as an option for the type of music you are playing.
Quote by bigwilly
Thanks for the suggestions. I'll have to check what brands the local music stores carry.

I had also been looking at the Electro-HarmonixMicro Qtron. I've found a few demo's and it seems to sound pretty good, and the price is somewhat appealing right now. $200.00 is a tad more than I'd like to spend right now, but if going with something a little cheaper (musiciansfriend hat the micro Qtron listed at around 80-90) will be suffucient, I might prefer that.

EDIT: also, while I don't own a electric guitar right now(I do own a bass, dont get confused ) I may have one in the future, so a pedal that would work well both on bass and guitar would be a plus.

Well the thing with the Q-Tron is, there's only one tone that you can really get out of it that doesn't just completely rip apart your low end. I am not sure how the Chunk Systems pedal sounds on guitar, it's mostly geared towards bassists. But the Q-tron sounds amazing on guitar I must say.
Quote by Jiimy
Well the thing with the Q-Tron is, there's only one tone that you can really get out of it that doesn't just completely rip apart your low end. I am not sure how the Chunk Systems pedal sounds on guitar, it's mostly geared towards bassists. But the Q-tron sounds amazing on guitar I must say.

Thanks for the warning. I was sort of afraid of that. I'll have to go to the store to try em out soon.
Quote by Sonicxlover
Quote by Jiimy

Lies. Have you even played one? A couple pf the range setting modes (high and mid) are pretty much gone due to the low end cut they give, but the low and mix modes work great for bass. After that, every thing can be varied as much as you like, for a shedload of tones. OK, maybe if you try to make it sound tinny, it will (up sweep, fast response, highest peak and gain). Other than that it works great.

I have absolutely no regrets getting my Q-tron plus. I found it ripped the Boss apart tonally, and was much easier to use (though like any envelope filter, it does take a while to get used to).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Charlatan_001
Envelope filters aren't really as "wah-y" as an Autowah or manual wah though.

It's funny, I find my 105Q to be much more envelopey than wah-y. Or, I find it very, very wah-y (depending on how you consider it). To me, the wah sounds more like it's going "wow" than "wah."

*doesn't need a flame shield as he's made out of molten rock*

I think the wah is very much a guitarist's effect, and I love the "guitar wah" sound on bass (i.e. not an actual guitar wah, but the vocal effect of a guitar wah, as opposed to the swishy DWOOOW of a 105Q). I think if you don't want a guitar wah sound on bass, you should just get an envelope filter - as you'd probably be making envelope filter noises with it anyway.

I think wahs are for rock, and envelope filters are for funk - period. And auto-wahs are just bloody useless.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
It's funny, I find my 105Q to be much more envelopey than wah-y. Or, I find it very, very wah-y (depending on how you consider it). To me, the wah sounds more like it's going "wow" than "wah."

*doesn't need a flame shield as he's made out of molten rock*

I think the wah is very much a guitarist's effect, and I love the "guitar wah" sound on bass (i.e. not an actual guitar wah, but the vocal effect of a guitar wah, as opposed to the swishy DWOOOW of a 105Q). I think if you don't want a guitar wah sound on bass, you should just get an envelope filter - as you'd probably be making envelope filter noises with it anyway.

I think wahs are for rock, and envelope filters are for funk - period. And auto-wahs are just bloody useless.

Wow. I completely agree (shocking)

For the wah sounding like a wow, just listen to Bulls on Parade by RATM. Thats totally wow-y.

And if you have any sense of time IMO, you should be able to do an autowah thing with a regular wah,
Quote by gm jack
Lies. Have you even played one? A couple pf the range setting modes (high and mid) are pretty much gone due to the low end cut they give, but the low and mix modes work great for bass. After that, every thing can be varied as much as you like, for a shedload of tones. OK, maybe if you try to make it sound tinny, it will (up sweep, fast response, highest peak and gain). Other than that it works great.

I have absolutely no regrets getting my Q-tron plus. I found it ripped the Boss apart tonally, and was much easier to use (though like any envelope filter, it does take a while to get used to).

Well are you talking about the Q-tron plus or the regular Q-tron? Because there is a difference in tone shaping between the two if I'm not mistaken. The only one I've played with was the regular Q-tron and I found it lacking compared to the two that I listed in my earlier post.
Quote by Jiimy
Well are you talking about the Q-tron plus or the regular Q-tron? Because there is a difference in tone shaping between the two if I'm not mistaken. The only one I've played with was the regular Q-tron and I found it lacking compared to the two that I listed in my earlier post.

I use Q-tron plus, which has 2 extra features. You can put an effect between the 2 stages of the effect, sort of an effects loop, and you can change the speed of the sweep from high to low. That is all. Tonally the same I believe.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Jiimy
All I could get out of a Q-tron was high pitched quacks for the most part. Granted I didn't get very intimate with it. I still stand by the Chunk Systems pedal. haha

You really need the instructions with you for a while. You most probably had a sound more for guitars that bass, basses on the upper range with an upwards sweep. Bass works best with the complete opposite.

Quote by elliott FTW

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1