I went to band practice today just like I do every weekend. However, today there was new piece of equipment there......

A bass guitar!

Being a guitarist of sorts, I didn't think much of it....t'was really beat up. I picked it up, tuned it, and started messing around with it.

I loved it.

The bass is way cooler than I ever gave it credit for being. I discovered that I could play most of the riffs I was used to on guitar the same way on the bass. It was a new experience for me, and it was a lot of fun!

Should I buy one? I would probably go for an SX precision bass. I need a bigger guitar amp, but I want a bass really bad. Should I stick with my usual hobby or add another to my collection?
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
well if you really enjoy i say go for it.
Quote by MeltingWaxFace
Your first mistake was getting a Chinese lady to cut your hair.

Your second mistake was getting someone who doesn't speak English to cut your hair.

Your third mistake was listening to your dicklock parents.

Come over to the dark (low) side, Luke....

Congrats. You just discovered you may have been a misguided guitarist all of these years. Read the FAQ and welcome to the low end! Its way more fun on this side of the universe.
FAQ will help, as anarkee said.

if you get a bass, get a nice bass amp, and you can use it for you guitar! It sounds pretty good depending on your tastes (just don't try it the other way around bass on guitar amp).

As for the bass, they are supposedly made of nice wood for those prices, so they are often bought to be upgraded. It won't be great, but it should be pretty good considering the price.
I'd say go for it, i had an SX precision for a first bass and i'm still loving it 4 years later, i have half dead flatwounds and it sounds awesome. Plus, it is not an expensive bass so you can buy a nice amp with it.
Quote by Bass First
I'd say go for it, i had an SX precision for a first bass and i'm still loving it 4 years later, i have half dead flatwounds and it sounds awesome. Plus, it is not an expensive bass so you can buy a nice amp with it.

wait you can tell how dead your flatwounds are?
Quote by anarkee
Come over to the dark (low) side, Luke....

Congrats. You just discovered you may have been a misguided guitarist all of these years. Read the FAQ and welcome to the low end! Its way more fun on this side of the universe.

and the more chill side. bassist are usually more chill and calm collected people. but there are some none super chill bass players. but that doesnt mean there bad people. but yeah. go ahead. if you like bass than you should try it. it is good to try a new experience. helps your musical talents overall
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
If you are just going to get a bass to screw around with, and your not going to be too serious... I would get the guitar amp.
Quote by matosh.lee
and the more chill side. bassist are usually more chill and calm collected people. but there are some none super chill bass players. but that doesnt mean there bad people. but yeah. go ahead. if you like bass than you should try it. it is good to try a new experience. helps your musical talents overall

To the TS, to be honest, I used to be a full time guitarist, btw. I just found that I was a much happier and better person as a bassist.

Chillin' in the low end, lol.
Please dont get SX, get a Squier, Yamaha, Washburn, ANYTHING but SX.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
LTD Deluxe EC-1000 in Vintage Black
1960's Banjuke
Quote by matosh.lee
bassist are usually more chill and calm collected people. but there are some none super chill bass players.

Usually, yeah. But every now and then...

But do it. Do it. A bass won't kill you if you buy it. The worst that can happen is that you'll never use it. The best thing that can happen is that you'll love it. The most likely thing to happen is that your number of gigs will triple since, after all, nobody plays the bass, and everyone plays guitar.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
Quote by thefitz
Usually, yeah. But every now and then...

But do it. Do it. A bass won't kill you if you buy it. The worst that can happen is that you'll never use it. The best thing that can happen is that you'll love it. The most likely thing to happen is that your number of gigs will triple since, after all, nobody plays the bass, and everyone plays guitar.

What's three times zero?

Oh, right. Zero.

<----- made himself sad.
Quote by anarkee
To the TS, to be honest, I used to be a full time guitarist, btw. I just found that I was a much happier and better person as a bassist.

Chillin' in the low end, lol.

It was always Bass for me although I did dabble on guitar for a while where I picked up valuable insight into chord structure .

I was hooked when I went to see the film 'Rock around The Clock' and listened the Bass working off the drummer
G&L L2500
Squier Affinity Jazz Bass 5
Ashdown RPM pre-amp
Ashdown Little Giant 1000
300 watt 15" powered cab
450 watt 15" powered sub bass cab
2x10 + horn
1x15x10 + horn
Quote by kranoscorp
Please dont get SX, get a Squier, Yamaha, Washburn, ANYTHING but SX.

Nothing wrong with SX. I love mine. It's great.
TS, if you enjoy playing bass, go for it.
Go get the bass, then buy a nice bass amp for it. Your guitar will sound better through a bass amp too because its more focused on the lows.
Quote by skater dan0
Damn you and your ninja-like modding
Quote by matosh.lee
and the more chill side. bassist are usually more chill and calm collected people. but there are some none super chill bass players. but that doesnt mean there bad people.

Hey you don't have to be laid back to be a bass player. Some of us are manic and neurotic too!
Quote by smb
Hey you don't have to be laid back to be a bass player. Some of us are manic and neurotic too!

Don't you know it
In the bass chat:

<Jon> take the quote of me out your sig plx
<Jon> i hate seeing what i said around lol

Leader of the Bass Militia PM to join!

And now on BANDCAMP!

Officially the funniest member of the Bass Forum.
Quote by smb

Shhhh, smb! Your letting out all of our secrets!!
Hey you know I have no secrets Don't know about you though haha
Last edited by smb at Feb 17, 2008,
Quote by guitars93
Nothing wrong with SX. I love mine. It's great.
TS, if you enjoy playing bass, go for it.

There are a lot of things wrong with SX, but I am not going to spam the thread with my preachings.

But TS, there are a lot of cheap bass guitars you can get for near the same price as SX, and 10x the quality.

Squier Affinity Jazz bass - $180
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Affinity-Series-J-Bass-102581444-i1150678.gc

Squier Affinity Precision bass - $180
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-by-Fender-Affinity-Series-P-Bass-510424-i1146352.gc

Yamaha RBX170 - $180
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Yamaha-RBX170-Bass-101834489-i1146652.gc

Ibanez GAXB150 - $180
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GAXB150-Electric-Bass-519479-i1150620.gc

Ibanez GSR200 - $200
http://www.guitarcenter.com/Ibanez-GSR200-4-String-Bass-100463976-i1150632.gc

OLP MM2 - $200
http://www.guitarcenter.com/OLP-MM2-4-String-Bass-Guitar-102468816-i1148911.gc

All of those are great picks for you TS. These are all in the Bass Forum FAQ, pictures are there too if you dont want to use the links I provided. These are only $70-$90 more expensive than a bass by SX, but it is worth every penny.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke
Quote by smb

well i said that some bass players are non super chill though. but that doesnt mean there bad people. lol. so yeah. i know there are crazy bassist but that doesnt mean there bad.
blemonese of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join
Quote by camhussynec
Its like getting anal for the first time. It hurts like hell but eventully ull get used to it and itll feel fine

Thanks for nothing
Quote by kranoscorp
There are a lot of things wrong with SX, but I am not going to spam the thread with my preachings.

Hmmm....I always heard that SX basses were pretty good.....

If you don't mind explaining, what's wrong with them?

Also, what amp would you all suggest? Something between 200 and 300 is probably all I'll be able to afford.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by smb

Don't forget alcoholic
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
Don't forget alcoholic

What is this thread? Are we just listing my personality flaws now?
Quote by smb
What is this thread? Are we just listing my personality flaws now?

Alcoholism is a flaw now? Awww
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by Hammerzeit
Just get an Ibanez starter pack and go for it. Good luck sir.

I am utterly afraid of starter packs. The only starter pack I've ever played was an Ibanez and it was full of soo much fail I wanted to kill myself afterwards.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
Quote by dudetheman

Also, what amp would you all suggest? Something between 200 and 300 is probably all I'll be able to afford.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Warwick-Blue-Cab-60-60W-Bass-Combo?sku=483056
Ive heard a lot of good from warwick amps and, In my opinion, Warwick is one of the best bass companies.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/GallienKrueger-Backline-112-Bass-Combo?sku=482537
Gallien-Krueger is good me thinks,though someone my think otherwise.
...it was bright as the sun, but with ten times the heat
Quote by kranoscorp

Yeah!
Haha and as a bassist, I'm def not so chill, and I'm not tall (someone told me I wasn't tall enough to look like a bassist. Needless to say if she wasn't a girl she would have received two to the kidneys). Break those stereotypes!
Quote by skater dan0
...and the bassist comes up to the EQ and moves all the sliders into the typical smiley face pattern and in a really thick Jamaican accent said "you can't have de bass without de smiley face"
Quote by dudetheman
Hmmm....I always heard that SX basses were pretty good.....

If you don't mind explaining, what's wrong with them?

My standard answer to all things related to SX.

My friend owns a sunburst P-bass from SX, so I have had some exposure to them. I have to say that SX basses are the worst basses I have ever played. The neck feels cheap, the body is unusually light, I despised the sound, and my friend raised the action to a ridiculous level so that it is painful to play. TheFitz may crucify me for this, but I would rather own a Thunderbird, or an SG, rather than the pile of fecal matter that is SX.

In short, I hate SX.
-Instruments-
Squier frankenbass
1960's Banjuke