Hello Guys

I live in a condo. Need to play really low. Only for practice.

Want Two channels.

Marshall Valvestate VS65R - love the tone but I read bad things about valvestates here. This has a preamp Tube. two channels. this is used at 250 dlls. ( I need to buy it the foot switch).

Fender Super Champ - this has a preamp and power tubes. this I couldn't make it sound marshally (I wonder why :P) but its an all tube, and got some decent tones. this was on sale for 199 dlls.

I like 80's rock (GNR, Metallica, Bon Jovi, and some other bands here and there).

I am learning guitar, I am a beginner. I can't still tell what sounds wrong about the valvestate. I do can tell about the solidstates a bit. But I have not developed my ear just yet.

I don't care about gigs just yet, If I ever do I will get a tube marshall or the valveking. I am buying this amp as a practice amp, at low volumes.

I appreaciate your advice since you guys rock!

Thanks
DrEvil
Last edited by DrEvil at Feb 17, 2008,
Try the blackheart little giant.
With the proper pedals/guitars, it could probably get 80's rock.
Call me Wes.
Gear:
Fender American Deluxe HSS Strat
Chicago Blues Box Roadhouse
Bad Cat Cougar 5
1957 Gibson GA-5
Ceriatone 18w TMB Combo
Hughes & Kettner Tube Factor
Various Ibanez TS9s
Weber MASS Attenuator
The Valvestate is only like half tube I believe. I played one in a studio, used it on the record, and enjoyed it.
Quote by ESPplayer5150
find a used 5150. Ive never tried the fender one but dont get the marshall

OMG! LOL that thing is a monster sound LOL! I would love to have one of those. However It had to be a very very quiet amp since I am in a condo. I might get another one to take to friends houses as soon as I am able to play with others. (I am new)

Quote by DrEvil
OMG! LOL that thing is a monster sound LOL! I would love to have one of those. However It had to be a very very quiet amp since I am in a condo. I might get another one to take to friends houses as soon as I am able to play with others. (I am new)

dude its called an attentuator

i think thats how you spell it...
Quote by rockybo
I'm making an igloo in my backyard later and smoking a bong in it.
Quote by hot4teacher
what about a cube?

I have a microcube and don't like the sound of it
Quote by DrEvil

Fender Super Champ - this has a preamp and power tubes. this I couldn't make it sound marshally (I wonder why :P) but its an all tube, and got some decent tones. this was on sale for 199 dlls.

The original or XD Super Champ? The original is good and designed by Rivera, but I have not heard the XD version, which has a modeler DSP, Effect DSp, 1x 12AX7 and 2x6V6. Base on the sound sample of on Youtube, it sound tubey enough, but I have not really tried it out. If it was similar to the original circuit, then the XD also only use one half of 12AX7 for phase inverter, making its clean channel truely tubey, and its 2nd channel hybrid; its power tube should make it sound the same as a true tube (in fact, there have been example of blind tests that power tube hybrid is as good as true tube, but preamp hybrid is worthless)

I myself would have gone with XD.
Quote by dm1925
dude its called an attentuator

i think thats how you spell it...

It's called a volume knob. An attenuator is pointless with an amp that gets most of it's distortion from the pre-amp.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
I have been reading about valvestate technologies, I will go back and see if I can hear it better, I will try to compare it side by side to the champ.
honestly for that price, you level, and the volume you have to play, go check out the cube 30 (stay away from the 15 and 20)

The AVT IMO is waste of money (that price because of the name) and the superchamp can't really do 80's hard rock that well.

Plus you say you don't really need all those watts, so why bother with huge amps
Quote by Dance_of_Death
... go check out the cube 30 (stay away from the 15 and 20) ....

I have a micro cube and I am not happy with it, The clean sound is good, but the other emulatios are not that good, I am a beginner and I can already tell when i play power chords the sound of them is trashy, not clean distorted

I will give it a check while am there.

The champ is not a highwatt amp, still very loud but i like the fact that has two channels. The marshall is higher in watts but since its not tubepoweramped at low volumes it souds ok, i have not tried it at high volumes, it might sound sh***y.

I don't know about the valvestates, they say they are better than MG's and solid states, but worst than tubes, why would it be worst than the cube?
Last edited by DrEvil at Feb 17, 2008,
Try a Crate Palomino V8 or Blackheart Little Giant. Both can do what you are looking for, but try em out first obviously.
Gear:
Epiphone SG Standard - Natural Wood Finish + SD Alnico Pro 2 Bridge Pickup
Epiphone Les Paul Standard - Limited Edition Green
Ibanez S470
Blackstar HT-100 Head
Harley Benton 2x12 Vintage 30's
Vox AC4TV
Vox VT15