I own a Peavey Windsor head and love it for rock and punk, but it is lacking a good metal tone. I run a ts-9 tubescreamer through it and can get decent heavy rock sounds but i am looking for the best pedal whether it be a high gain overdrive or a distortion to produce a good metal and heavy hardcore sound. I have tried the Boss Mt-2 and dont really like it and im looking into the metal muff. Also has anyone used the Krank distortus maximus? any other suggestions are welcome please.
Look into a Damage control, Or a Maxon 808, They work magic
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
Quote by esp1234
Either the Metal muff or digitech metal master

Honesty, And OverDrive is the best solution , You paid for a tube head, use the Amp, not a pedal
Gear
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Ibanez EX 470 (1991)

Peavey 6505 combo
Vox Valvetronix AD15VT
Danville 1X12 Cab
Kustom 12w tube

Dunlop Crybaby
DOD overdrive(YJM)
Boss Ns-2
PodXt
Dod 250 Overdrive
i just bought a metal muff yesterday and i absolutely love it. very clear, intense distortion. and instead of a plain hi-low tone knob, it has full eq. good stuff.
Mesa F-30 - 1x12 V30
PRS SE Custom 24 (GFS Crunchy PATs)
PRS SE Singlecut (Evo/Air Norton)
1989 Starforce (GFS PowerRails)
Morley Tremonti Power Wah, TS7 (808-Mod), Pitchblack, Boss DD-3, DE FnC
im selling a metal master. I think it puts out some pretty brutal metal distortions and gives you a lot of options with the morph knob it has. I don't use it anymore cause I got a good tube amp now.

if you decide to get a metal master PM me for info.
Gibson Explorer
Jackson Soloist SL3
Orange Tiny Terror
Mesa 2x12
If I had a nickel for all of the "what is the best pedal for metal" threads.......

Metal Muff will work fine.. I like mine. Take your gear to the store and try it out... along with whatever other pedals they have there for "metal". Whatever sounds best to your interpretation of what "metal" sounds like, buy that one.
Quote by hrdcorelaxplaya
Your crappy amp achieved a purposely crappy tone? I'll alert the presses.
Quote by esp1234
Either the Metal muff or digitech metal master

i'd avoid the metal master, personally, but i've never liked digitech. metal muff is good, and there are various higher-powered overdrives out there, but for really strong distortion i'd look up a rocktron silver dragon. tube distortion with a second solid-state channel to boost the tube side and run it harder. it's my favorite distortion pedal, i even use it with my friend's old half stack when we jam. old as in not his main rig, i'll probably buy it off him soon. it's got tons of gain, and the tone isn't as harsh as petals like the mt-2. only thing you have to remember is that the distortion knob on the solidstate side should be kept low or you'll get hiss. i never set mine past 10:00. The gain on the tube side will go as far as you want though.
i dont think im gonna buy a metal master its basically digitechs copy of the metal zone and i would buy a boss before i bought another digitech. I have a tubescreamer but maybe there is a different brand that makes them with more output? i dont know but i would rather use an overdrive if possible. my friend has a krank overdrive pedal i will try out soon to see if it has more gain to it.
To be honest it sounds like you're just not running the amp loud enough - having said that an EQ pedal wouldn't hurt. I doubt you actually need any more gain though, there's plenty between the amp and the TS9.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
If you want a distortion pedal, try the Digitech Grunge, it's not well suited for Nirvana type sounds, but works for Melvins/Mudhoney/Alice In Chains stuff, as well as most other heavy music since the 90s, whether it be mainstream metal, death metal, heavier offshoots of punk/hardcore. The Death Metal pedal is based on this circuit, but with a mid-control and no gain control.

I've tried the Distortus Maximus, it sounded really, really bad. Like a muddy/bassy Metal Zone only with a bit of clean signal mixed in. I really hope it was a faulty unit, it sounded terrible.

Honestly, you should be able to get good metal tones from your current setup. If it's an issue of being too loud, you may end up wanting one for quiet practise after all.
No gods, no countries, no masters.
More guitar, less Ultimate-Guitar.
Be Serious.
Shorties represent!
Ibanez SZ520/Ibanez ORM-1/Ibanez RG7321/Pocket POD/Crate GX/Boss HM-2
line 6 uber metal, can fine tune it and get some sweet distortion....old school metallica-esque stuff to newer bands like lamb of god/KsE and the likes
i play my amp with the preamp at 9-10 ( goes up to 12 ) and the master at around 4 and its plenty loud and it has gain but i guess not the amount im looking for for modern metal and hardcore. I dont scoop the mids much and i am setting everything right. I love using it for punk and hard rock but was just looking for a distortion pedal to play just metal.