Page 1 of 2
First time I've tried this - the song's in my profile - http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/SSSteve/

Whammy Madness in Em

OK - tell me what you think...

This was just for fun.

I recorded it in about 1987 one evening after a rough day at work - swilled a couple' a beers started screwing around with a riff on my trusty strat - and decided to pop a tape in my old Yamaha 4-track cassette.

Definitely wasn't in the mood to program any drums - hence the repetitive drivel I put on there - just a stock slow beat from my old Yamaha drum machine I used back then.

Once I had that beat down, I plugged my Harmony/Epiphone Frankenstein bass into the 4-track and came up with the little line to match the guitar riff I'd been messing with - played it for a while - did not anticipate my drum part ending - DOH - went with it anyway.

Then I probably had a 3rd beer and let-er rip! Cranked up a bunch of cheesy distortion on the ol' Peavy Backstage-Plus I had back then - made sure my strings were all stretched out and ready for some whammy abuse - and gave my Japanese Stratocaster all I could.

...and to this day - while I'm embarassed to admit it in some circles - I kinda' like it.

Hope you do too. If it sucks... please be gentle. If you love it - welllll... by all means... tell me all about it!
I really like it man, the only thing i would change is the drum beat, aside from that it's awesome. Well done
Quote by graham3333
I feel all dirty now.

Top notch! I will definitely take that as a compliment.
Quote by K_Parker
I really like it man, the only thing i would change is the drum beat, aside from that it's awesome. Well done

Well K_Parker - I think I like you! Thank you very much.

Yeah... not much to love on that drum beat. lol...

Maybe I'll have to get my best jammin' buddy to re-record this with me - he's expressed interest. We'll have to recruit one of our drummer friend's to play a real drum part.
That's pretty crazy.. I love whammy pedals.

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Solder fume huffer σƒ τλε τρπ βπστλεπλσσδ

╠═══════╬═══════╣

Electronic Audio Experiments
The annoying midi drums aside this was a pretty good listen. The main whammy riff got me humming along actually. Very catchy. Dont know what else to say. I'd imagine it'd sound great with real drums and a really loud guitar.

Maybe post something newer too? This one's a couple of years older than me.
Quote by MankiiKing
The annoying midi drums aside this was a pretty good listen. The main whammy riff got me humming along actually. Very catchy. Dont know what else to say. I'd imagine it'd sound great with real drums and a really loud guitar.

Thanks man! Kind words even after I was a little critical of your long jam. When I was your age, I'd have penalized the old-timer even if I liked his tune.

Quote by MankiiKing

Maybe post something newer too? This one's a couple of years older than me.

OUCH! lol...

Hey - I'm countin' on you young guys to inspire me to get off my ass and record something.
i won't say anything about the drums since you already said that for me. I will be honest, I'm intrigued as to how good this could be after having two decades of practice with it! I felt like it was very strong in parts but a little inconsistent, and mainly I'm talking about the bass. I had moments of brow-raised "mhmmm" but a couple times felt a blander taste in my ear. All in all, I was impressed and enjoyed listening! Don't let your age stop you from inspiring yourself and others either!

Here's mine: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784645
Hahaha, dude, I really liked this. It was really quirky and fun. The bass line is really catchy, too. The drums were repetitive, but certainly not terrible. Very cool man.
i won't say anything about the drums since you already said that for me. I will be honest, I'm intrigued as to how good this could be after having two decades of practice with it!

Thanks a ton Guitarded8988. I appreciate the constructive criticism - and the signs of hope!

To tell you the truth - I might be the worst guitarist around for not focusing on my ideas and doing anything with them. I've yet to force this or any other ditty I've worked up on any band I've played with. So sadly - it hasn't had the refinement I suppose it deserves. I love the riff though - and have gotten some nice jams out of it on several occasions.

Your comment - and the fact I've just let this little improv riff sit on the shelf - makes me think... omg - I am not getting any younger - and I need to start writing/recording.

Hopefully I'll make a habit of this forum and some of the expert composer/arrangers can help break me out of my ummm... 3 decade writer's block?!? lol...

Quote by Guitarded8988
I felt like it was very strong in parts but a little inconsistent, and mainly I'm talking about the bass. I had moments of brow-raised "mhmmm" but a couple times felt a blander taste in my ear. All in all, I was impressed and enjoyed listening! Don't let your age stop you from inspiring yourself and others either!

Here's mine: https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=784645

I'm not really a bassist - but actually like some of what I do on this one. Could you be more specific on what you'd do with the bass?

Again - thanks a ton for the kind words. I'm looking forward to tomorrow so I can spend a little time in the home studio (i.e., my guitar/computer/junk room in the basement). It's been fun sharing this with a bunch of open-minded musicians. I could see this forum becoming a habit. Until now I've mostly just used u-g.com for tab searches.

...oh - and btw - how do you know I wasn't like - 5 years old or somethin when I recorded that?

...ok ok - I would've been about 26 at the time - and had been playing about 10 years.

Goin' to check out your stuff right now.
Quote by Chaingarden
Hahaha, dude, I really liked this. It was really quirky and fun. The bass line is really catchy, too. The drums were repetitive, but certainly not terrible. Very cool man.

Dude... thanks for giving a nod to the drums - because that's what I think I'm gonna' try to get a buddy to basically do - only with some well-placed fills and such of course.

And "hahaha" is exactly what I'd want to hear a fellow player say! By age 26 when I recorded that - i knew i wasn't gonna be Vai or Satriani - I'd mapped out a course that wasn't putting guitar in the forefront - guess I was a chicken****... but i also knew how to have a good time.

I'm officially off my ass - thanks again.
Haha I liked it man, and Ive had those kinda days as well.

Thats a very good recording for "back in the day" I think some guys today dont know how great they have it!
If you check my profile song please leave a comment on any part.....THANKS!!!
Quote by v8ko
Haha I liked it man, and Ive had those kinda days as well.

Thats a very good recording for "back in the day" I think some guys today dont know how great they have it!

Sweeet! Another "haha", AND - v8ko listened, and understood how I felt that day...

...brings a tear to the artist's wittle eye.
The only problem with this forum's gonna' be... listening to all these cool tunes is gonna take some time!

That's ok - should be good for my creativity - not to mention general entertainment - not the same ol' same ol'.
btw - left you a comment for your jam v8ko - I liked it!

I said it made me wanna' plug in my crybaby.

(oh yeah - btw - what kind of racing? I'm not a racer... but I do have a 2000 Camaro SS. I've piloted it in a straight line for 1320 feet to 106mph - took me 13.331 seconds to do it one night last summer. I can pretend I'm a racer like I can pretend I'm a musician! DOH!)
Quote by SSSteve
btw - left you a comment for your jam v8ko - I liked it!

I said it made me wanna' plug in my crybaby.

(oh yeah - btw - what kind of racing? I'm not a racer... but I do have a 2000 Camaro SS. I've piloted it in a straight line for 1320 feet to 106mph - took me 13.331 seconds to do it one night last summer. I can pretend I'm a racer like I can pretend I'm a musician! DOH!)

Haha hey thanks for the listen Steve! Its funny cause I think not only are we simular in age, just got off our butts and started playing again, a month apart in joining this forum and dig the track....its ok Im married lol.....just saw some simularities.....

Anyways 13.3 is quite respectable. That Camaro you have there is quite the car, great suspension, fast and good mpg to boot! Still considering purchasing one of those. Ive had (of course) my fair share of race cars in the past (my favorite was my 70 SS396 remember when a nice one cost 1500.00?) and just recently sold my corvette. What Ive been into since 86 though is mostly imports and track racing.

My latest car weighs 2300 lbs. dynoed (naturally aspirated) at 247whp and 270 tq 2.4 liter with a 6 speed. Its more economical to race but I sure do miss the torque of a good ole V-8.
Quote by v8ko
Haha hey thanks for the listen Steve! Its funny cause I think not only are we simular in age, just got off our butts and started playing again, a month apart in joining this forum and dig the track....its ok Im married lol.....just saw some simularities.....

lol... that is a hoot. I was reading your dad comments too - and yes - I can relate.

Quote by v8ko

Anyways 13.3 is quite respectable. That Camaro you have there is quite the car, great suspension, fast and good mpg to boot!

I bought it new in 2000 - couldn't resist - even though the smart money would've bought a nice stripped 1LE Z28. A few years earlier that would have been my choice, but at the time my contracting career was going well and that hood scoop was too sweet not to have.

I just sold the other post-4-barrel EFI muscle car I bought new - a 1988 Mustang LX 5.0. Man... I loved that thing. I drove the poor old gal into the ground - a couple of times. Sold it as an incomplete project.

Quote by v8ko
Still considering purchasing one of those. .

Wrenching on them is no picnic. I'm bummed right now because I need a clutch. Don't want to do it - or pay for it to be done. Just want it done.

Quote by v8ko
Ive had (of course) my fair share of race cars in the past (my favorite was my 70 SS396 remember when a nice one cost 1500.00?) and just recently sold my corvette. What Ive been into since 86 though is mostly imports and track racing.

My latest car weighs 2300 lbs. dynoed (naturally aspirated) at 247whp and 270 tq 2.4 liter with a 6 speed. Its more economical to race but I sure do miss the torque of a good ole V-8.

Sounds like a ton of fun! Well... slightly over a ton. So is that a punched out 4 making that kind of power at 2.4L? Seems like a big-4 or a small-6.

...and yes - I remember when that's what you'd pay for a big block muscle car. A running buddy had a 70 SS 396 with the round taillights. And - the obligatory deep dish Cragar SS wheels. And he worked at a restaurant at the time - washing dishes!
Quote by SSSteve
lol... that is a hoot. I was reading your dad comments too - and yes - I can relate.

To funny

I bought it new in 2000 - couldn't resist - even though the smart money would've bought a nice stripped 1LE Z28. A few years earlier that would have been my choice, but at the time my contracting career was going well and that hood scoop was too sweet not to have.

I just sold the other post-4-barrel EFI muscle car I bought new - a 1988 Mustang LX 5.0. Man... I loved that thing. I drove the poor old gal into the ground - a couple of times. Sold it as an incomplete project.

Dont mean to be weird but I love those stangs and from an insurance stand point the LX is the way to go...as long as it was the factory option. Might even consider the blade style now that the new model is out.

Wrenching on them is no picnic. I'm bummed right now because I need a clutch. Don't want to do it - or pay for it to be done. Just want it done.

Thats what I love about my Hondas. All you really need is about 3 wrenches lol. My Corvette I got rid of was horrible to work on (so are some of those stangs lol) you needed sae and metric tools just to get the radiator out.

Sounds like a ton of fun! Well... slightly over a ton. So is that a punched out 4 making that kind of power at 2.4L? Seems like a big-4 or a small-6.

2.4 block out of a Honda CRV 4 cyl. 2.0 head out of a acura type r. and a six speed out of a...you guessed it an acura from Japan with LSD. Some 11.5 pistons, reworked heads and some semi aggressive TODA cams. Plus the usual stuff ie computer, traction bars etc.

...and yes - I remember when that's what you'd pay for a big block muscle car. A running buddy had a 70 SS 396 with the round taillights. And - the obligatory deep dish Cragar SS wheels. And he worked at a restaurant at the time - washing dishes!

HAHA. Just telling my Bass player tonight about the 67 Goat my Pop thought was to expensive for me.....not a single dent ran like a you know what and they were asking 500. Dad offered 350.
Neat - those Honda engines are something. So what kind of car is that in?

Is that a RWD setup?
Quote by SSSteve
Neat - those Honda engines are something. So what kind of car is that in?

Is that a RWD setup?

Its Fwd. Although Ive seen some rwd conversions that are pretty nasty. Last one I saw was a 96 Civic with the COMPLETE rolling chassis of a c6 Corvette...Yowza.

I stick with the Civic models and except for a few rare instances have always owned the Si models. I sold (regretably) a RHD Japan Si Civic a couple years ago. This one that was just completed is a 93 Civic Si. It will toss you back in the seat though even with street tires on but not quite like a raging V8

I had a shop build it and will never do that again. When you build yourself you can have a relationship with a car imo. When a shop builds it...eh, take it or leave it.

One of my racing buddies just finished his Monster Miata build. Aluminum blk v8 I think he said 275 whp. Cannot wait to race around in that car this year!!!!
Fun stuff!

I'll PM you a better car response so the guitar heads don't get bored with me already.
Last edited by SSSteve at Feb 17, 2008,
nice one.
i really love just screwing around with scales and pedals.
i dont really do it now, but i used to love just having someone lay down a beat and go from there.
the tone is really...dirty lol.
despite the fact its not clean or anything, or even great tone by normal standards, it fits, and i actually really like it
Quote by Grey Dynasty
nice one.
i really love just screwing around with scales and pedals.
i dont really do it now, but i used to love just having someone lay down a beat and go from there.
the tone is really...dirty lol.
despite the fact its not clean or anything, or even great tone by normal standards, it fits, and i actually really like it

Thank you, Sir - if it deserves that much praise - I'm happy!
I love this jam! Really cool stuff. I enjoyed the bass line a lot, actually.

The drums were fine for something the keep time. No real complaints as you stated you didn't try to arrange them.

The guitar tone is pretty wicked, too.

I'd love to hear a modern recording of it with an arrangement and all.

I've got a song in my signature below you can check out if you want to hear something new.
All my photobucket pics are dead so no links to my guitar build threads.
My Music
I try to be a multi-dimensional player to some extent - but this is just me lettin' it out... for all the world to hear - good or bad - love or hate. So if you heard it and loved it - well - we must be on somewhat the same plane, zeroyon. With a response like that I can't imagine I won't hear something I like in your tune.

goin' there now!
just listened to it, and love it, i can picture snake plisken after just escaping from new york!
lighting up a smoke and calmly walking off to the distance

or maybe a guy rideing a hog in the the distance after killing loadsa zombies.

eather way some real cool guy will be going in to the distance whilst this is playing.

haha C4C http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/wozzsta/

Untitled full edit

cheers james
Last edited by wozzsta at Feb 17, 2008,
haha! Love the commentary wozzsta. I'd score your screenplay!

I promise to check yours out when I've got a few more minutes to spare. Just refreshed teh browswer while passin thru...
I definitely get the same feeling that wozzsta mentioned. This is a total movie song. Makes me think of some bad ass character walking somewhere with his shades on, looking cool.

anyway, the guitar playing is great. you really have great control over that whammy. My speakers are almost busted but it sounds like you have a nice phasing from side to side with some of your licks? Maybe it's just the speakers but either way it sounds real cool.

nice work i'd love to hear more
Thanks Chris!

You know - through all these years, anytime I'd ever listen to this I'd just recall the pissed off mood I was in. I hadn't really thought of the movie score thing - but after you guys mentioned it - welllllll... I was beaming with pride at the mental image. Cool compliment. I'll have to post some stuff I've recorded with a keyboardist/song-writer buddy who has always wanted to do that kind of composition - scores for interesting films. I think some of what we've done stands up pretty well... although I'll warn you in advance our low-fi recording leaves a bit to be desired.

Yeah - back in 87 I guess I'd been listening to Led Zeppelin II or somethin with all that extreme L-R panning - the crazy thing will make ya' dizzy with headphones!

I was trying to play that thing today on my Tele through my little Champ 600. Kinda' funny after listening to that heavy overdrive Peavy / Strat. Really gotta lean into the Champ to coax the sustain out - as opposed to that Peavy which would spontaneously feedback on just about any note- and no divebombs!! DOH kind of a slap in the face of a song with "whammy madness" in the title!

All the nice responses really have me in the mood to record - unfortunately some dad-ly chores take priority today.
Last edited by SSSteve at Feb 17, 2008,
Nice! Thought it was pretty cool. It would be awesome if you could rerecord this again, as a jam with a drummer and bass player, so you could have some more freedom, and creativity when you play it. Maybe a rhythm part would sound good under the lead guitar.
I can honestly say I have really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like.

I don't always post on UG, but when I do, I post in the Pit. Stay thirsty my friends.
Thanks a bunch, imabballplayer!

It has been a long long time since I played this tune. But hearing some enthusiastic response on here has me working out with it again. And it really feels good!

Hopefully I'll be able to talk some friends into doing it with me.
Quote by lemonsquares42
Jesus, nice riffs there.

aww dude... I'm blushin...

I'm glad I'm not the only guy who appreciates a lil' slop.

Thanks tons!
Man, this is so 80's! Haha. The bass and guitar riffs are so cool. I like this better than your other one, it's very catchy. Like other people said, I was humming along to the riffs. Still a bit of randomness in there, but you had me hooked for most of the song. If this had vocals and such this would actually be a cool song. It's still an awesome instrumental though. Very nice work. I'm listening to it for a second time already.
Quote by stradivari310
That's pretty crazy.. I love whammy pedals.

I love them too - but there's no whammy pedal on this one. It's just the stock roller/locking whammy on my early 80's Japanese Fender Strat.

I think 1987 might actually have been pre-Digitech-Whammy pedal.
So dude, like, im gonna steal ur little riff now, dont worry u'll get royalties when u hear it on the radio
Last edited by -=Led_Hed=- at Feb 20, 2008,
Quote by -=Led_Hed=-
So dude, like, im gonna steal ur little riff now, dont worry u'll get royalties when u hear it on the radio

Get it on the radio, Led!

And don't worry - you get it on there - I'll huntcha' down!

...thanks man! If there's anything on your profile to plunder - I'll do the same.
Quote by K_Parker

same that and bass
(\__/)
(='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
(")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.
part of Trumpet Player's Alliance
Pimus sucks group
80s rock group
Quote by frozen_soul
ummm testicular cancer?
Quote by KewlChristian
same that and bass

Thanks KewlChristian.

btw - wish me luck - err... say a prayer for me. I'm trying my hand at helping out in the Church youth group. I felt like Jack Black in School of Rock the other day.
Page 1 of 2