What are some things (music, games, stuff to do) that help one ignore/get rid of depression?

I have nothing to do and I'm trying to keep from getting more depressed than I already am...

(I'm not emo I just don't exactly have a fun life, please don't go into the whole emo thing, it's old )
Proven fact (like it or not) that religion is a major one.
Gear:
Jackson Dinky DK2L
Epiphone LP Standard
Yamaha Acoustic
Bugera 1990 w/ Peavey 2x12 cab
write a song or try something that requires you to use a lot of thinking to keep your mind off of things
Oh f*ck it,
I'm gonna have a party.
I had the blankest year,
I watched life turn into a TV show.
It was totally weird.
Quote by soXlittleXtimeX
write a song or try something that requires you to use a lot of thinking to keep your mind off of things

HOLY CRAP! I got sigged 3 times in a week. I feel awesome!

Do you have friends?
The biggest thing is to exercise... cardiovascular exercise for anxiety and depression (jogging,swimming, biking)
Or if you are depressed and pissed off try weight lifting.

I always find that listening to music, fishing, guitar and smoking cigars also help
Quote by Jonjy2
That's actually the cause of my problem.. That and parents. Combined.

Hardly any... And they all have tons of friends so they're always busy...
Sounds like those friends who are just friends with you for the sake of being friends, which aren't real friends. Real friends would be doing nothing with you right now too.

Here's what you do. Do you like video games? Go to Gamestop, look around and ask questions about a game you like or make a comment and start talking to people. Like guitar? Repeat step 1 in that theme. Just do what you like, and you'll find people who like those things too, then you'll start making some real friends.
Occupy your mind with little projects.

To whoever said there was a connection between religion and happiness: That's not entirely validated. I don't mean to start an argument here, I'm just saying...

Exercise will do wonders, as well. ****ing wonders.
Looking for my India/Django.
Punk music can help, try some Bad Religion, or the Unseen. Or, like someone there suggested, some REAL religion, or working out. Never drugs though! They'll just take all your money for very temporary relief, and then you'll get hooked, and the addiction will make you feel worse, so that you feel you really need the drug. That's what an addiction is man, but most important, just know (especially if you're young) that it won't last forever, and you never know how happy you'll be in a year, even if it takes some work to get there.
Quote by FireandFlames
Like others have said a couple of times, masturbation.

This is not a joke.

Yea I am trying to quit it. It gets in the way of the few chances I have to do stuff. It does help for a short time though. I need something that will be on-going. Not a temporary happy-thing. (... that didnt make any sense )
Quote by TFK_62
Punk music can help, try some Bad Religion, or the Unseen. Or, like someone there suggested, some REAL religion, or working out. Never drugs though! They'll just take all your money for very temporary relief, and then you'll get hooked, and the addiction will make you feel worse, so that you feel you really need the drug. That's what an addiction is man, but most important, just know (especially if you're young) that it won't last forever, and you never know how happy you'll be in a year, even if it takes some work to get there.

Thanks. I really have been considering punk music lately. I'm more of a melodeath metal type of guy and as much as I love it, I sometimes need a morale boost and I always thought punk music was sooo "happy". I really ought to do that...
just forget about today. tomorrow is a new day! have fun! dont feel so down!

a kind word seriously dont be so blue
PS3

Fear the LIME

X
Quote by Jonjy2
Yea I am trying to quit it. It gets in the way of the few chances I have to do stuff. It does help for a short time though. I need something that will be on-going. Not a temporary happy-thing. (... that didnt make any sense )

People who say that are either 15 and under, or are really ignorant.
Quote by FireandFlames
Like others have said a couple of times, masturbation.

This is not a joke.

No it makes me feel worse knowing that I'm not doing anything and this is what I've amounted to. Don't do it.

EDIT: seriously though, it makes me feel worse afterwards. And just listen to reggae and find some people who like what you like. Join a club at school.
Last edited by Biehayn at Feb 16, 2008,
Quote by Jonjy2

What? Is it like "Sorry guys, can't come out tonight I'm having a wank." for you? If this is the case you need to learn some self control.
http://www.hemmendorff.com/work/zombiegrinder/zombiegrinder.html

That should help. Pretend the zombies are actually the people you hate.

If you want something more long-term, there aren't many options beyond actually fixing your problems. Obviously, it's not that simple, but it's probably the best choice.
Masturbation is actually a proven way to get happy, it relases endorphines in your body. Chocolate does the same, as well as natural light, running or exercise
call me Shelby

Quote by MankiiKing
What? Is it like "Sorry guys, can't come out tonight I'm having a wank." for you? If this is the case you need to learn some self control.

That's really funny.

And no it isn't like that, but jacking off isn't good for alot of reasons. I'm not trying to tell anyone to stop, I'm just saying I'm trying to quit doing it...
I go for runs and stay fit. If you feel down, take an early morning run. Even if you aren't in shape, run for a bit, then walk, then run, then walk, etc...

It helps clear my mind, and my body. It has so many benefits.
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
Nookie.
Quote by rocknrollstar
"Oh baby baby yes yes YES! YES! *pinch harmonic*"