Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
what about muse? what about guitar project?
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
ok i think i get what you mean, you want to make your guitar into a muse guitar. Well what aspects of matt's guitar do you want to incorpirate into your guitar?
EH

"Show me war; show me pestilence; show me the blood-red hands of retribution..."
Quote by Dream Pin
Mounting a Kaos pad on there would be pretty sick.

yeah but doing it the only way that has found out that works really looks well bad imo.
GEAR:
Epiphone LP special model 2 (Heavily modded - killswitch and custom midi X-Y touch pad).
Digitech Whammy, Zvex Fuzz Factory, Boss Dynamic Wah, Electro harmonix Little Big Muff, Zoom G7.1ut, Digitech Grunge, Korg KP2.
Marshall AVT 50x
^not so with the new kaoss pad. It's very small and easily attatches onto a guitar.
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"
Quote by shredmeiser101
^not so with the new kaoss pad. It's very small and easily attatches onto a guitar.

yes but I've heard it's **** for guitar mods. best one, I've heard to use, is either KP2 or 3. and so far you've gotta take the pad out of the KP and connected it still by a serial cable (look up Phil's KP mod).
GEAR:
Marshall AVT 50x
Sorry yes
I would like to make my Damien-6 into a Manson giuter replica type thing.
I didn't think of a kaoss pad untill i read these replys
I'm looking up a picture of the mods areas that i did but i can't find them
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
B.C. Rich warlock w/ zakk wylde bullseye
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
so you'll be wanting a
fuzz factory,
phase shifter,
and maybe a fernandes sustainer in the neck position and a bare knuckle in the bridge
This will get pretty much most muse sounds, get a digitech whammy and you'll be well away
all thats missing is the kaoss pad, but the mod is unbelievably complicated from what i've seen.

Its do-able
and possibly a good idea
but without the kaoss pad, your looking at £400 worth of mods, and the guitar will weigh a ton.

Instead of the kaoss pad, you could always look into the midi strip thats on the black manson, its just used to control the whammy and other midi things
not sure how its installed though
yeah i want a fuzz, octave, sustainer, and envelope filter.
I don't think it will weight that much
but it will cost a bit
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
any one else have a comment.
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
I read that Matt uses a Kent Armstrong Motherbucker in the bridge and a P90 in the neck if it helps? Good luck with this though I'll be following it because I'm interested in doing the same at some point down the line!
Gear!
Guitars:
Epiphone Dot VS
Ovation Celebrity CC024
Jackson JS30DK
Squier Classic Vibe 60s Jazz Bass
Pedals:
Vox OTT Boost
Amps:
Laney LV300
Does anyone have photoshop and
would be willing to edit a flick of a damien-6 for me with a kaoss pad and a couple knobs at the op of the left horn and around the bottom?
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
Quote by new2castle
Does anyone have photoshop and
would be willing to edit a flick of a damien-6 for me with a kaoss pad and a couple knobs at the op of the left horn and around the bottom?

No one?
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
instead of an envelope filter i would get a phase 90 and trade the octave for a digitech whammy pedal. he really doesnt use an octaver enough to matter. and you absolutely cant skimp on the fuzz, get the zvex fuzz factory it is THE most important key to his sound. its borderline sad how much i know about his rig so if u need ridiculous details you can always pm me. i always support anyone who wants to try and make their own mattocaster. good luck to ya man!

and no. im not gonna photoshop your guitar
Personally I wouldn't want to be arsed with routing all those huge cavitys in my guitar and having to mount the effects. I would just get a Fuzz Factory and Phase Shifter and whatever other effects are in it in pedal form and install a sustainer pickup in the guitar. If your up for the challenge then go for it.
I think i might just put in a fuzz.
and a phase
cause i have a G-DEC 30
so it has all that already in it but you can only use one effect at a time per channel.
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
Quote by philthy335
instead of an envelope filter i would get a phase 90 and trade the octave for a digitech whammy pedal. he really doesnt use an octaver enough to matter. and you absolutely cant skimp on the fuzz, get the zvex fuzz factory it is THE most important key to his sound. its borderline sad how much i know about his rig so if u need ridiculous details you can always pm me. i always support anyone who wants to try and make their own mattocaster. good luck to ya man!

and no. im not gonna photoshop your guitar

dont worry i know a lot about his rig too!

What sound you after. Showbiz, OOS, Absolution or BH&R era?
Showbiz is usually a LP or SG (no mods as of yet).
OOS is where mods start. this is the whole Mother bucker (great pickup) and hot p90 fuzz factory, Phase 90, and sustainer kit.
Abso is the continue on from that but with different pickups. (rio grande for one).
BH&R is little Fuzz (not use in guitar much. only one is silver bomber). Sustainer Kit, KP (the terrible destroy the KP too mod), BK Nail bomb pickup.
GEAR:
Marshall AVT 50x
My main guitar is very "Muse inspired" and has a built in Kaoss Pad (KP2). I should probably do a write up on it at some point, but here are the major details:

1. In order for the Kaoss Pad to really be usable, you need to have external access to the program memory buttons, preferably in stompbox form. This part is really not very hard to do.

2. The Kaoss Pad works best with a line level signal in the effects loop. Most of it's programs are modulation effects of some sort, and the filters and lo-fi effects work well in the loop as well.

3. Put some type of true bypass on the Kaoss Pad, preferably something in stompbox form like a 'Little Lehle', D-Loop, or a Switchbone. Certain programs suck tone like no other and the ability to bypass the KP altogether is highly beneficial.

4. Unlike Phil's online suggestion, the Hold button is really better off on the floor as well. Not only this, but you can cut down on the number of wires needed to run to the guitar. If you do decide you want lights under the pad, use a battery, this will cut you down to only needing to run 4 wires to the guitar (instead of 8) meaning you can use Midi cables/connectors as opposed to DB9 cables/connectors.

5. Routing is really not that hard. Practice on some scrap pieces of wood and you should be able to get the hang of it in a few attempts. The whole "chiseling through the guitar" thing is kind of ridiculous and is really unnecessary. I don't have crazy lights in mine so I just did a small surface cavity with two additional channels cut for running the wires. I had never used a router before modifying my guitar and it turned out fine.

It seems like most of the "touchpad guitar" projects on various websites were put together by techies and not by performing guitarists. There are some inherent ergonomic flaws with most of them and I tried to take these into consideration as best as possible when putting my setup together. Ideally I'd like to incorporate the whole thing into a Midi switching system, but the KP2 really works better as a Midi controller for other processors than it does in a switching system (Midi can't recall user presets, just different programs).
ESP LTD EC-256 and a Fender Deluxe VM
Kendall, please do a write up of some kind
i'd love to have one, but i can't get my head round all these videos and tutorials on it.

I too, am a bit of a muse geek, knowing the kit and what not aha

You'll hit most origin of symetry onwards. songs with just the fuzz factory, phaser and whammy pedal. there are a few exceptions.
Before that, as far as i'm aware, he's always had a manson, telecaster i think, all the early video's i've seen he's had one, just with no effects built in, and used a metal muff,
i've got a whammy and a metal muff on my board, and you can replicate most the sounds on showbiz, uno, cave, fillip, showbiz ect, that sort of sound.

I'm starting work on a telecaster soon
very similar to this

sustainer in the neck, bare knuckle in the bridge, fuzz factory and phaser, if i knew how to fit a kaoss pad in, i would
Quote by funguy
dont worry i know a lot about his rig too!

What sound you after. Showbiz, OOS, Absolution or BH&R era?
Showbiz is usually a LP or SG (no mods as of yet).
OOS is where mods start. this is the whole Mother bucker (great pickup) and hot p90 fuzz factory, Phase 90, and sustainer kit.
Abso is the continue on from that but with different pickups. (rio grande for one).
BH&R is little Fuzz (not use in guitar much. only one is silver bomber). Sustainer Kit, KP (the terrible destroy the KP too mod), BK Nail bomb pickup.

Thanks
I am after Absolution Hysteria and track 5 i believe
and BH&R all
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
Quote by TomR
Kendall, please do a write up of some kind
i'd love to have one, but i can't get my head round all these videos and tutorials on it.

I too, am a bit of a muse geek, knowing the kit and what not aha

You'll hit most origin of symetry onwards. songs with just the fuzz factory, phaser and whammy pedal. there are a few exceptions.
Before that, as far as i'm aware, he's always had a manson, telecaster i think, all the early video's i've seen he's had one, just with no effects built in, and used a metal muff,
i've got a whammy and a metal muff on my board, and you can replicate most the sounds on showbiz, uno, cave, fillip, showbiz ect, that sort of sound.

I'm starting work on a telecaster soon
very similar to this

sustainer in the neck, bare knuckle in the bridge, fuzz factory and phaser, if i knew how to fit a kaoss pad in, i would

Agreed
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
Quote by new2castle
Thanks
I am after Absolution Hysteria and track 5 i believe
and BH&R all

I'd say Fernandes sustainer kit, Nail bomb. and Fuzz factory on the floor. if you really want it in guitar, put it in. the wired KP mod well it's ok but I'd wouldn't really do it and I really want a KP in my guitar. but I want to be able to use the KP as a stand alone unit. plus you take apart the KP to do it. if you do want to do the KP at way DON'T use the serial connection. it's just really ruins the look. go for midi sockets and lead. or i would at least. will look much more professional.
GEAR:
Marshall AVT 50x
May i ask what a nail bomb is?
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
Bellamy's guitars are based on a Telecaster shape and use a Telecaster neck. If you'll notice, the cutaway is a bit sharper, and the upper body section has an extrusion not found on a Tele. His earlier guitars included at least one Gibson and one Peavey.

You won't need a KP to dial in the tones from Hysteria and Stockholm Syndrome, though for Stockholm Syndrome you'll either need a Midi sequencer or a concert pianist (or a backing track) to get the chorus right.

I've looked into doing a wireless version of the touchpad, but I'm still learning the programming necessary to make that a reality. Basically that will require the construction of a simple Midi device that can take voltage from two variable resistors and translate those voltages into Control Change messages. Then instead of going to an external plug, just put a wireless Midi transmitter in the guitar.

Also note that you can wire up any 4 wire resistive touchscreen for this project. If your guitar doesn't have room for the KP sized one, then get one out of a PDA (often cheap on ebay). You can do a stand mounted one with a 12" computer monitor touchscreen if you want to as well. I think you can have two touchpads wired up at the same time.

To the thread starter: A Damien 6 isn't an ideal platform for modification as there's no usable room behind the bridge for onboard effects, touchpads, etc, and the top is carved, making the necessary routing for such mods a royal pain.
Last edited by Kendall at Feb 22, 2008,
Quote by Kendall
Bellamy's guitars are based on a Telecaster shape and use a Telecaster neck. If you'll notice, the cutaway is a bit sharper, and the upper body section has an extrusion not found on a Tele. His earlier guitars included at least one Gibson and one Peavey.

You won't need a KP to dial in the tones from Hysteria and Stockholm Syndrome, though for Stockholm Syndrome you'll either need a Midi sequencer or a concert pianist (or a backing track) to get the chorus right.

I've looked into doing a wireless version of the touchpad, but I'm still learning the programming necessary to make that a reality. Basically that will require the construction of a simple Midi device that can take voltage from two variable resistors and translate those voltages into Control Change messages. Then instead of going to an external plug, just put a wireless Midi transmitter in the guitar.

Also note that you can wire up any 4 wire resistive touchscreen for this project. If your guitar doesn't have room for the KP sized one, then get one out of a PDA (often cheap on ebay). You can do a stand mounted one with a 12" computer monitor touchscreen if you want to as well. I think you can have two touchpads wired up at the same time.

To the thread starter: A Damien 6 isn't an ideal platform for modification as there's no usable room behind the bridge for onboard effects, touchpads, etc, and the top is carved, making the necessary routing for such mods a royal pain.

geez bro you know your work.
It is carve top but it's not that much so it'll be good.
fitting wise it'll work aswell.
Wireless would be pretty classy.
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
wireless Touch pad you have to make. if you want that. I've asked around with companies all over the world and either they don't do it or they never replied back.
GEAR:
Marshall AVT 50x
yeah.
i have been looking it up
i basically have to put a wireless guitar signal(to amp) box on the pad
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
one more thing
i forgot how to change my sig.
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
Quote by new2castle
yeah.
i have been looking it up
i basically have to put a wireless guitar signal(to amp) box on the pad

mini or full size coz good luck getting the full size working like Matt's guitars! if mini. well I've just heard the mini is **** for muse stuff. you'll have better luck at getting to work with a standard guitar wireless system.
GEAR:
Marshall AVT 50x
yeah
i really want some picture editing stuff so i can show you guys what i mean
I am also thinking of putting the switches of the fuzz and env. filter on the side like the rhodes pickup selector switch.
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
Quote by new2castle
yeah
i really want some picture editing stuff so i can show you guys what i mean
I am also thinking of putting the switches of the fuzz and env. filter on the side like the rhodes pickup selector switch.

draw it on paper. like we have done. then scan it in and put it on the net.
GEAR:
Marshall AVT 50x
okay thanks.
It probably won't be the best work though.
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
Quote by new2castle
okay thanks.
It probably won't be the best work though.

who cares. it's a sketch. just don't rush it and make sure it shows your ideas clearly.
GEAR:
Marshall AVT 50x
Yes
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
It's taking me longer than sceduled(i think i spelled it wrong)
Itunes podcast!
search DJ Shi

Schecter Damien-6
Digi-tech Synth Wah
Ibanez WD-& Wah Pedal
Fender G-DEC
Quote by new2castle
geez bro you know your work.
It is carve top but it's not that much so it'll be good.
fitting wise it'll work aswell.
Wireless would be pretty classy.

Note that you have to rout the cavity a bit larger than the actual touchpad, and you'll need some sort of frame to keep it from falling out and to cover up the exposed edges. The reason the routing is difficult on a carved top is that the cavity you make must end up being completely flat, plus you'll need to make a stepped up cavity (also flat) that's large enough for the frame. If you measure the size of the cavity you need to make, plus the room for the frame I think you'll find that you're either going to run off the back of the guitar, or you'll interfere with the strings. You could put a PRS style bridge on it and have enough room, but even so at that point you'll have more money in it than what another guitar would cost you in the first place.

You'll need to trust me on the carved top issue. It's really not worth trying. Routing a flat top guitar is easy, routing a carved top guitar accurately requires CNC equipment.
Page 1 of 2