I took a guitar course at school 2 years ago (which got me started) but it was largely just chords, then a bit of simple picking. I got a guitar about half way through the course so that once it was over I could still play, but eventually my guitar was abandoned in the corner.

Living in University residence, I've gotten back into playing. I'm relatively horrible, even for something as basic as strumming. I'm trying to play some recognizable songs, but even Stairway gets butchered by my clumsy fingers, anyone have any advice on simple exercises to do to increase dexterity/not suck?
yeah just keep playing man, look up some easy artists/bands and just play.. your fingers will get used to playing over time
Gear:
Washburn X10
Yamaha EG 112
Crate VTX30
Yamaha GA-10
For finger picking just finger pick through chords starting out very slowly then gain speed or switch up the rhythm and such.....
Quote by Fat Lard
Why would you spend tens of thousands of dollars to learn about a language you already speak? It was over before it even started dude

Quote by captainsnazz
brot pls
check out the song 3 libras by a perfect circle, i usually use it as a warm up, its good to get your fingers going, and its a good song to learn
Gear:
Blackstar HT-5 Half Stack
Damage control Solid Metal
Boss Flanger
Electro-Harmonix Q-Tron+
Dunlop 535Q Wah
General Guitar Gadgets ITS8 Overdrive
Marshall MS-4 Ministack

Guitars:

PRS Custom 24

Washburn D10 Quilted Bubinga
Alright guys thanks for the advice, I'll check out 3 libras too.
Its a good song (Libras) but you would have to tune differently.

Try End of an Anchor by Dashboard Confessional. Don't just it by the band, its a VERY good way to practice fingerpicking, same with Dust in the Wind. End of an Anchor has done godly things for my fingerpicking.
Gear
Ibanez RGR521EX1
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ-500R
Roland Cube
Spider II 30
-Crybaby GCB-95
-SansAmp GT2
-Boss DS-1, RC-2