ok so im looking for a tube amp suitable for playing with a full band, maybe very small gigs

any suggestions?

im just looking for something that will have a nice clean tone, as i have pedals to deal with effects and such, the only thing i rlly need is a clean tone that wont break up at higher volumes

the Fender Pro Junior looked good... cept reviews say it begins to break up as volume increases and also its a 'beginner' amp and im lookin for something maybe a bit more professional (not like a marshall tho haha)

i understand that breaking up is natural for a tube amp, but something that will keep relatively clean playing loud enough to be heard in a full band situation

price range $300-$400
Quote by britneyspears69
I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
Last edited by led_zeppelin678 at Feb 16, 2008,
look pretty sweet but its a bit pricey, i actually thot about a VK but i mean on that site its only $400 but the list price is like over $500 and im not paying for shipping a friggin amp haha so id have to go to GC or sumthing for it so im not sure if id b able to afford it :/

i dont suppose theres like a 30-40watt VK???
Quote by britneyspears69
I got my first guitar recently and people are telling me to get pickups. I don't get it. What do they do? Do they help you when you drop your pick?
hmmmm
idk that VK looks pretty sweet haha.. mayb i get the GC guy to drop the price a little and save up some more... and i suppose i could turn in my old amps and yamaha as well...

on another note, i play bass on the side, and use a ****ty old Peavey amp, but i never rlly play very loud, so would playing a bass thru say a VK 112 hurt it if it was legit at like bedroom-practice volume? like legit i just play it for fun, very quiet
Quote by britneyspears69
just gotta keep the volume down.
B - MAN

My Main Rig:
☺1998 Gibson Les Paul Studio DC
☺Reverend Rocco(USA)
☺Martin DM
☺Peavey ValveKing 112
☺Dunlop Tortex(1.35Mm) Picks
☺Everly Rockers - .10guage.
☺Martin - .11guage.
☺Too many effects to list.
For good cleans at stage volume you probably need a high wattage amp, most tube amps start to break up around half volume. Eric Johnson uses a pair of Twin Reverbs (85 watts) with the volume around 3, my Super Reverb is a very similar amp and at 3 it's really clean and sounds great, but not loud enough for gigging with a band at that volume.

Check around at local pawn shops, you never know what you'll find, around here the pickings are slim but in larger cities I've found plenty tube heads and combos at decent prices. Screwed up royally and passed up a vintage Orange half stack in Houston years ago for $200, still kicking myself for that one...even if it needed repairs, it was a good deal. I got my 50 watt 2x12 Peavey for $175 in a pawn shop, and a couple of excellent guitars. Also check the newspaper for amps in the want ads, but I wouldn't buy online, you can't play it and see how it sounds.

My clean amp for gigging is a Peavey MX, 30 or 130 watts, (high/low power switch) cleanest amp I've ever heard, loads of power and great tone. solid state preamp through tube power amp, 2 channel but I never use the distortion channel, my Ibanez SD 9 sounds better through the clean side. I run it through a 1967 Kustom 2x12 cabinet, it sounds almost identical to a twin reverb at low volume, but LOUD...even on low power, 30 watts, it can play clean leads on top of a 100 watt Marshall full stack, I've done it more than once. They made it in a combo too, and a 60 watt version but I've only seen 2 of them in 20 years looking, one head and one 60 watt combo. Pedal friendly and has an effects loop, if you can find one it gets my vote for the best clean amp around.

Some of the other Peavey amps also get great cleans, but again you'll probably want higher wattage so you can get stage volume before it breaks up. The Classic 50 might be worth looking into, I've heard several of them onstage and they sound great, and get good cleans at stage volume (but that may be by rolling off the guitar's volume knob). Peavey's solid state preamp into tube power amp rigs do sound good, I have two (one with a bad power transformer) and have played several others, worth checking out.

The all tube rigs are excellent, but think higher wattage for what you want. Headroom is the reason, higher wattage means more clean headroom at stage volumes. 50 watts, maybe, 30 watts will break up, 100 watts will certainly do the trick. Just make sure you get a footswitch for dual channel amps, the clean channel is what you want and most default to the distortion channel if you don't plug in a footswitch. I made a jumper pin for mine, I never use the distortion channel so I just leave the jumper in and don't have to worry about it, I'm always on the clean channel. The reason I like the solid state preamps into tube power amps is they usually are able to get better cleans at higher volumes and still get good tube sound.
Hmmm...I wonder what this button does...
Last edited by Paleo Pete at Feb 17, 2008,
ok well i guess im just gonna have to shell out some serious cash and get something rlly nice, im thinkin to go lookin around at places this week (music stores and pawn shops etc)

thanks for all the help guys :]
Quote by britneyspears69