Alright I have a root 5th and 7th. It sounds like it needs to be resolved which makes me believe it's some type of inversion of a sus4 chord as when you put the 5th and 7th on the bottom of the root it seems to take on the shape of a sus4 chord.

For example take C G B then move the G and B below the C and it looks like some type of sus4 chord.

Second chord is a root 5th and 6th it's used in Rent's "seasons of love" opening and was wondering what it was.

Thanks,
Jordan
What's your question as to the CGB chord? I'd say it's a major 7th, which, in a harmonically simple context(no extended chords, all triads or powerchords), would have the tendency to resolve to a C major.

The root-5th-6th chord is probably a sixth chord on the tonic. Interesting there's no third though.
Well my question was I thought that for it to be a major 7th it would need the 3rd too. I was under the impression (forgive my noobishness ive only just started chord studies) that the only chords which needed to be resolved were chords with 4ths or 2nds (suspended chords)
Last edited by JordanStreet at Feb 17, 2008,
Quote by grampastumpy
Degrees of a chord are often omitted, particularly extended chords.

Very rarely the third, though. The third establishes the tonality of the chord. Still. I'd probably call it a maj7(no 3rd), or a major7sus if the third was replaced with something else.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Very rarely the third, though. The third establishes the tonality of the chord. Still. I'd probably call it a maj7(no 3rd), or a major7sus if the third was replaced with something else.

Yeah, that missing third kinda threw me off. Still the best explanation I can come up with.
heres one for you, my friend was over and we were jamming we came up with a rythem line with.

E5, A5, Gmaj, and Amaj. Neither in E minor nor E major can there be a G and A major
All those chords are in the key of D major.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
I imagine that chord progression could be E dorian. Since there's no 6th in a minor pentatonic, it fits nicely. You could also try B minor pentatonic if you want the "correct" one.